Thread: Tinsley's defense was outstanding tonight

Default Tinsley's defense was outstanding tonight

Realize what I am saying.

As most of you know I have thought in past years that Tinsley's defense was really bad, no make that shockingly bad at times, no make that shockingly bad most of the time.

This season overall his defense has improved a lot and Tinsley's defense was always my biggest problem with Tinsley

Tonight Jamaal did a great job on Billups. Yes Billups missed a lot of shots, but Tinsley was always right there. Only once did Tinsley get completely lost, and Chauncey hit a wide open three.

Great job Jamaal

Sports Logo

Default Re: Tinsley's defense was outstanding tonight

While we are speaking out of charachter I thought Pollard was decent tonight and AJ played much better in the second half tonight.

Jamaal was fantastic...in fact, other than the 2nd quarter, THE ENTIRE TEAM defense was superb...we gave up 69 pts in the game, 31 in the 2nd...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Billups and Hamilton 6-26.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Keys right there....our guards simply outperformed theirs
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, does that mean that Tins is safe as our point guard? This is a contract year for him. Wow, I'm just impressed at his D tonight!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

As most of you know I have thought in past years that Tinsley's defense was really bad, no make that shockingly bad at times, no make that shockingly bad most of the time.

This season overall his defense has improved a lot and Tinsley's defense was always my biggest problem with Tinsley

Tonight Jamaal did a great job on Billups. Yes Billups missed a lot of shots, but Tinsley was always right there. Only once did Tinsley get completely lost, and Chauncey hit a wide open three.

Great job Jamaal
    Yeah, he did a great job tonight overall. He's no longer the huge liability on D he used to be.

Mood

Yep. 3rd time they've had crappy games against us. I don't think anyone can say they just had an off night anymore. We play good team D on them.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

So, does that mean that Tins is safe as our point guard? This is a contract year for him. Wow, I'm just impressed at his D tonight!!
    Next year is a contract year for him. We excersiced his option before the season.

Thanks for the correction..that is actually a relief!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Tinsley playing D because......

He knows how bad it feels to warm the bench (see: first part of season)

He knows if he doesn't play D...all he will do is warm the bench

WAY TO GO RICK!@@!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tinsley's one on one defense was excellent tonight, but the biggest difference is the overall TEAM defense. Just about everytime one of their guards drove by our guards, a big man was waiting to challenge or block the shot.

On the radio going home from the game, they said in the 3 games against Detroit, Billups is 9-41 and Hamliton is 12-38. I don't think they just happen to have 3 bad shootong games in a row against us, our D had a whole lot to do with it.
    "Just look at the flowers ...."

Tinsley is even in a good defensive stance this year as is the whole team. And the defensive awarenes to help and recover is a joy to watch.

Next game just watch the off the ball defense, and watch the defensive stance each player is on and who they are always aware when to help.

That my friends is coaching, coaching, coaching

Miller played the 1,286th game of his career, tying Sam Perkins for ninth on the NBA's all-time list.

just a little fact

Next year is a contract year for him. We excersiced his option before the season.

Tinsley signed a 5 year contract. This is his third year.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I can't believe what I read at the top! If the Pacers keep playing this well, UB and Ragnar may have to "kiss and make up".
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

pacers.com game report has this blurb:

Carlisle commited to Jamaal Tinsley as his starting point guard, whenever Kenny Anderson returns from his strained right calf. "For us, (Anderson)'s the ultimate insurance policy," Carlisle said. "Hes close to being healthy, but were going to make sure hes 100 percent and go from there." ...
    looks like tinsley's job is safe.

Great job Jamaal
    And to think that when I posted this the first time, I thought it was a joke. I guess there really is a newfound sense of harmony here on the new new forum.....

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

7-Layer Burrito

Tinsley is playing very well on D, no question. He did an outstanding job last night of beating his man to the spot, keeping everything in front of him, and challenging shots.

Hard to believe this is the same guy as the last couple of years.

Tinsley is even in a good defensive stance this year as is the whole team. And the defensive awarenes to help and recover is a joy to watch.

Next game just watch the off the ball defense, and watch the defensive stance each player is on and who they are always aware when to help.

That my friends is coaching, coaching, coaching
    That's usually how I watch the start of games in baketball and soccer.

I focus on a single player for a couple of minutes, then move on to the next player. I usually start with Artest, only because I really enjoy watching him play defense. I then focus on the players of the opposing team to determine which players are really up for the game and to determine which are most likely to "hurt" us.

What I notice the most about our weak-side defense is that we are always staying ball side of the man while also slightly "fronting" him. Even when we cheat away from the man and towards the paint, it's always with an eye on the man being guarded. With the "fronting" position, I suppose we are a little exposed on backdoor cuts, but so far this hasn't been a problem.

Contrast this with last season's weak-side defense and you come up with something that we all knew anyway. Artest was the only player on the roster that had a clue about how to play off-the-ball defense last year.

Now, it's like Artest's techniques have been shared with the team, and although everyone cannot be the successful defender that Artest is, they are more than capable of pressuring their men away from the ball.

Something I never thought I'd hear myself say.

"This team is quickly becoming my favorite Pacer team."

And not just because they are winning. They've become a tough-minded team, nearly always finding ways to get back into games and to win the close game.

God, I love the way these guys are playing..... at both ends of the court.

Sports Logo

I can't believe what I read at the top! If the Pacers keep playing this well, UB and Ragnar may have to "kiss and make up".
    I agree with UB most of the time. We both want exactly the same thing. Its just that sometimes we think the route we should take is slightly different..

I am more than thrilled that Tins is playing this kind of D. However I am more thrilled that it has not killed his offensive contributions. Usually players are either very good at one or the other. They can either score (or pass in the pg position) or defend and not both.

This team does both!!!! how rare is that. Our best scorers are also very good defenders. This is what makes us a finals contender.

(P.S. If we had Jason Kidd UB and I would never ever have disagreed about the pg position but now Tins is becoming the poor mans Jason Kidd)