Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sources saying Cory Simon is a Colt

Default Re: Sources saying Cory Simon is a Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to overstate this or sound like I'm proclaiming greatness, but this is a Super Bowl-run type of move. Could it cost them in the future? Of course. Edge is gone. Gone, gone gone. But you never know about Wayne.

Four years of AFC title games or a better run at just one Super Bowl? Considering Marvin's age and that James was likely gone next year anyway ... roll the dice. Make a play. Stop being second best.
    I could not agree more. Colts saw thier window of opportunity as it will not stay open forever. Might as well go for broke now. with no regrets this season.

Very good move !

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    Suave, you will get your request. I'm telling you Polian said he WILL sign Wayne at all costs and yes I heard this from Polian. Edge on the other hand is a different story.

Here this from you puts me a little more at ease.

This offense didn't become great until Reggie started becoming better. Yeah, sure it would be still good without him, but Reggie makes it great. Some may not remember that he had more yardage than Harrison last year.Improving our defense is good, but Reggie is so important. I mean, our offense didn't do that great in the playoffs against NE, did it?

Well whatever, I'm going to stop worrying about it for now and look forward to a SB run. And hopefully we re-sign Wayne as Polian says, and Freeney the year after.

RWb, do you know anything about the Simon contract? Is it mostly bonus heavy?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    All right, I'll try one more time.

Freeny. Isn't. Going. Anywhere.

Bill Polian, since he entered the league, has held pass-rushers in a regard much higher than any other type of player. They will franchise him until the day he dies if that's what it takes.

He will never play for another team, until at least his career is at the very end and he can't get remotely close to the quarterback anymore.

As for Wayne, I feel the same way about him you do. And chances are, we'll re-sign him (if RWB says it, then it must be true).

Listen, I want to believe we can re-sign both, and I think we will. But how in the world are we going to get that money? Signing Simon surprised me because I didn't think we had money to give to FAs. But when the time comes for the other two, I'm curious on how we plan on paying for them.

We could release Josh williams sometime, he's effectively useless.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2148712

5 year deal for 30 million or so, plus 13 in bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2148712

5 year deal for 30 million or so, plus 13 in bonuses
    Which certainly is nice sized but not a backbreaking contract by NFL standards.
    Based on what he could provide I think this makes it even more of a great signing! I hope he can get in to game shape ASAP

Why Not Us ?

Apparently he has been in game shape, and he said when he was released that he'd be ready to play come opening day for whatever team.

Apparently he has been in game shape, and he said when he was released that he'd be ready to play come opening day for whatever team.
    .. Alrighty then... Bring on the Ravens !

Why Not Us ?

Irsay has plenty of money, and the team is in fine cap shape.

Good thing we didn't waste it all on some end-of-the-line, mid-priced FA's.

Simon was by far the best player to hit the FA agent market. And we happened to be ready at the right time.
    Dare I say? it was almost like fate, that he dropped in their laps like he did.
    I loved how they snatched him up before a bidding war could even get started

Why Not Us ?

Irsay has plenty of money, and the team is in fine cap shape.

Good thing we didn't waste it all on some end-of-the-line, mid-priced FA's.

Simon was by far the best player to hit the FA agent market. And we happened to be ready at the right time.
    Exactly BT, and isn't it amazing things start coming together after the stadium deal is lined out. Polian did have an interest in signing Edge longer, but said "until the stadium issue is taken care of no long term contract" and this was meant about Edge and training camp in Terre Haute. People don't realize how CLOSE the Colts were to going out west. Colts signed a 3 year deal for camp and guess when the lease would have been up at the dome? Not pure coincidence my friends.

Too bad for Edge, the stadium deal got done but Rhoades has really moved up in the eyes of those who control the purse strings and is a personal favorite of one BP. Apparently being a good citizen, promoting the team, and smoozing with the public has it's rewards.

Nice of the Colts to put on a supportive and happy face for Pope and Doss. Going to be some blood letting I suspect with both. Major embarassment for Colts and they had team meetings in particular about this kind of thing during the summer.

Back to the original point of this thread. As already pointed out by everyone there is no doubt this signing is all about Super Bowl or bust THIS YEAR.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm giddy. GIDDY I SAY.

This is a championship-type move. Good work Colts!
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Yes Mr. Modesty this is the year and the team looked like crap during the pre-season and it doesn't mean a thing. What's even better is Manning is giddy as hell about the defense. Asked him if the offense was a little behind because of the many interceptions being thrown during camp and he replied "no, secondary has improved that much".
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Simon is a good pickup by the Colts. He isn't a superstar but he is a top 5 tackle in the league. He was the Eagles top pick a couple of seasons ago and had a couple of terrific seasons.

He has had some issues with his weight over the years; last year in midseason he lossed his starting job because he was out of shape. But by the end of the year he was back in shape starting and playing at a very high level again. He is a top 5 tackle in the league that is why the Eagles slapped the franchise tag on him. He isn't just a big guy that plugs the middle stopping the rush the good thing about him is that he also pressures the quarterback and makes plays in the other teams backfield.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as I hate the cliche 'SuperBowl or bust' it's true for this team. We won't be able to resign everybody at the end of the season so I don't see how we can be this good next season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't believe I just now saw this.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I'm talking about. This was a great move!!!
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    I can't believe I just now saw this.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I'm talking about. This was a great move!!!

Not to often are you able to sign this big of a FA to fill an exact need right before the season starts. This is HUGE

Simon's agent was on 1260 earlier today. He indicated they had no Idea Indy was interested but Polian Called them as soon as the tag was lifted when he became a FA. One of Corey's stipulations was he wanted to play for a Contender so it was a perfect match.

Why Not Us ?

The great thing about Simon signing here isn't the defensive line, it is the secondary that improves that much more. With Freeney and Mathis on the outside pass rushing, and Simon and probably Tripplett by the looks of it inside, it'll give enough time (hopefully) to allow our dim LBs to either go to the runner or get out into coverage. Our run stopping improves that way.

Not to mention that our pass rush is going to be SUPERB. And this means the secondary is going to be in prime position to do some damage.

I'm getting way too giddy about this

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name%3dclayton

Someone want to post this John CLayton weblog about how Simon will be better in Philly? Thanks!

YESSSSS!!!!!! **** YES!!!!

I really did not think this would happen. After last season's debacle, I decided I could not do anything more than casually root for the Colts until they showed some serious commitment to defense. Signing just a few decent, tough-nosed guys would have been nice, never did I think this could happen.

I'M BACK ON THE BANDWAGON! GO PEYTON, GO COLTS, GO POOOONIIES!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood

I really did not think this would happen. After last season's debacle, I decided I could not do anything more than casually root for the Colts until they showed some serious commitment to defense. Signing just a few decent, tough-nosed guys would have been nice, never did I think this could happen.

This does look like a sweet season, doesn't it?

Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if you need to register, but here is some audio of TD talking about Simon.

Courtesy of www.crankycolts.com

http://www.crankycolts.com/images/DungySimon.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica
    I don't know if you need to register, but here is some audio of TD talking about Simon.

Courtesy of www.crankycolts.com

http://www.crankycolts.com/images/DungySimon.mp3
    Thanks. great link

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood

Sums up my thoughts.

Back on the Bandwagon!!!!!!
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

I can't believe you people were even off the bandwagon....

lol That is what I was thinking... I have been a fan since the Colts and the Bunguls were spoken in the same sentence as the laughing stocks of the league...But glad to have any and everybody that wants to hop on for the ride all the way to Detroit and the Superbowl

some interesting links on the subject
    http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3012
    http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8793140
    http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3015

Why Not Us ?

Well, I was still going to root for them and watch every game. The difference now is that I have championship hopes again, and more importantly, a bit more respect for how they run the team. I really thought they didn't care about defense.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?