Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33

Thread: Frank Slade's avatar discussion

  1. #26
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,391

    Default Re: Question of the Day: Why Hasnít Draft Yielded More Starters?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I wonder just how many people here thought "Gee, that guy's in an avatar! Killing people must be COOL!"

    T-shirts and avatars like this might be offensive to some, but eroding society's sense of right and wrong?? I don't buy it.
    To me, glorifying someone like him by wearing his picture on a T-shirt, poster avatar, whatever, is part of what helps erode our sense of right and wrong.

    From my viewpoint, it's the little stuff that helps foster a certain apathy. That's like the kid who wore a T-shirt with a swastika to school. It's only a shirt, right?

    Certain acts, though small, add up to helping people have a skewed sense fo what's appropriate, or "right". It's the day to day stuff of letting things pass like that, that I believe desensitizes people to what's appropriate. It lays the foundation to more extreme things being "okay", cause it's just a billboard, or TV show or whatever.

    I think an avatar of Jeffrey Dahmer would be wrong. So would Hitler. a kid looks at that and says, well, that's must be okay, he's doing it.

    I'm not saying, nor did I say anything as ridiculous as "Gee, that guy's in an avatar! Killing people must be COOL!", but I think that kind of stuff lends itself to making some people think that's acceptable behavior and I think that helps contribute to an off kilter sense of right and wrong.

    Just my opinion.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    846

    Default Re: Frank Slade's avatar discussion

    Now Boys

  3. #28
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,391

    Default Re: Frank Slade's avatar discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now Boys
    Um....He started it!!!!
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    846

    Default Re: Frank Slade's avatar discussion

    I think that since it is just the person and not the graphics that he may have displayed it is not as bad. We are not saying that you are wrong because you think that it is inappropriate, we are saying that you should have handled it more priviatly.

    This reminds me of a story.-------You travel back in time to the year 1918. You walk in to an Austrian Pub and you sit next to a young man and order a drink. You start to talk and joke with each other, and really become quite good buddies. You tell him that you enjoyed his company and ask him if he would like to go out sometime with two girls that you know, and see a film or something. He says that would be great and that he would really like that. You then ask him for his name and his address and he tells you his name is Adolf Hitler and he also tells you his address.

    Question: Knowing now that he is a future dictator and attempted world conquorer, what would you do? Keep in mind that he is not yet the Adolf Hitler that killed many Jews and attempted world domination, it is the Hitler that you enjoyed a drink with. Would you kill him?

    I don't know what this has to do with the topic, but someone said Hitler and its a nice change of pace.

  5. #30
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,391

    Default Re: Frank Slade's avatar discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This reminds me of a story.-------You travel back in time to the year 1918. You walk in to an Austrian Pub and you sit next to a young man and order a drink. You start to talk and joke with each other, and really become quite good buddies. You tell him that you enjoyed his company and ask him if he would like to go out sometime with two girls that you know, and see a film or something. He says that would be great and that he would really like that. You then ask him for his name and his address and he tells you his name is Adolf Hitler and he also tells you his address.

    Question: Knowing now that he is a future dictator and attempted world conquorer, what would you do? Keep in mind that he is not yet the Adolf Hitler that killed many Jews and attempted world domination, it is the Hitler that you enjoyed a drink with. Would you kill him?

    I don't know what this has to do with the topic, but someone said Hitler and its a nice change of pace.
    Oh, he's got to die!!

    I'm kidding.

    I'd still hang out with him because obviously, he's not of the mindset that made him a monster, so by hanging out with me, I may influence his thinking. I think a lot of what makes a person is their environment and friends.

    (not to go all tangential, but in college, I was amazed at all the kids from small towns who started out racist, then totally changed their minds once they actually met someone of a different color. I'd hope the same would hold true of Lil Hitler.)

    Of course, if I saw him going to the darkside, I'd have to rethink things.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  6. #31
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Frank Slade's avatar discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that since it is just the person and not the graphics that he may have displayed it is not as bad. We are not saying that you are wrong because you think that it is inappropriate, we are saying that you should have handled it more priviatly.

    This reminds me of a story.-------You travel back in time to the year 1918. You walk in to an Austrian Pub and you sit next to a young man and order a drink. You start to talk and joke with each other, and really become quite good buddies. You tell him that you enjoyed his company and ask him if he would like to go out sometime with two girls that you know, and see a film or something. He says that would be great and that he would really like that. You then ask him for his name and his address and he tells you his name is Adolf Hitler and he also tells you his address.

    Question: Knowing now that he is a future dictator and attempted world conquorer, what would you do? Keep in mind that he is not yet the Adolf Hitler that killed many Jews and attempted world domination, it is the Hitler that you enjoyed a drink with. Would you kill him?

    I don't know what this has to do with the topic, but someone said Hitler and its a nice change of pace.
    IMO, it wouldn't matter if you killed him or not. I don't think the past could be changed, even if you had the chance. You'd just be setting everything in motion.

    An example of what I think could happen -

    Let's say you kill him. Uknown to you, his little son/cousin/whatever saw you do it. Little Johnny is scarred for life, and adopts the name of his Dad/Cousin to eternally honor him. Years later, determined to get back at the world for killing off his loved one, little Adolph Hitler nearly wipes out an entire human race in the holocaust...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  7. #32
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,076

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Frank Slade's avatar discussion

    I find it quite ironic that Skaut's avatar is promoting violence.

    If t-shirts and pictures can "erode our sense of right and wrong" then surely cartoons can as well.

  8. #33
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Frank Slade's avatar discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it quite ironic that Skaut's avatar is promoting violence.

    If t-shirts and pictures can "erode our sense of right and wrong" then surely cartoons can as well.
    don't start another can of worms

    I might have to get out my old Dick Tracey Comics

    aren't most cartoons Gangsta's & Thugs

    Cops & Robbers
    Baddies & Goodies

    arrghhhh this could go on for ever... I think it's over inflation myself.. who's not say anyones avator is correct, if it's a person they are sure to have commited a crime in one way or another which in turn doesen't make then a Angel...


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •