Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the Fever

Default Re: Let's talk about the Fever

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spoken by someone who still doesn't see the value of Peanut Butter.
    PB had value?! Oh man, I must have missed that one....

....maybe because he didnt?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Southside_Pacer
    Yes, Purdue does suck. Obnox is an IU guy though. Don't know why the hell he's working at Purdue though!
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...WS01/508290389

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't like Purdue but the Mrs. basketball from Connersville in 1999 is going to be a an assistant coach.

April McDivitt?

Pacesetter

Check 'em out! Go Fever!

Catchings is the best, she's awesome!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Let's just hope Detroit can take care of Connecticut for us.
    Excuse me, are you ? Katie won't like you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    First of all, I don't mind WNBA basketball. It's a good way to pass the time.

That said, their fundamentls are HORRIBLE. None of them can set a screen without moving, they have no clue how to catch a lead pass, and most of them make Ben Wallace look like Mark Price at the FT line.

In no way does the WNBA have a fundamentally stronger game. THis isn't even a close comparison. It's a joke.

I only watched 10mins(actual game time) of last nights game, which was the only 10mins I saw all year and I can even point out a flaw in your assessment.

The announcers said that the NY, as a team, shot 82% from the FT line, and I only saw one missed FT from both teams.

Either Ben is looking to lead the league in FT percentage next year, or that statement is false.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three
    April McDivitt?
    Yes, it is April McDivitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    First of all, I don't mind WNBA basketball. It's a good way to pass the time.

That said, their fundamentls are HORRIBLE. None of them can set a screen without moving, they have no clue how to catch a lead pass, and most of them make Ben Wallace look like Mark Price at the FT line.

In no way does the WNBA have a fundamentally stronger game. THis isn't even a close comparison. It's a joke.
    Indiana Fever shot 76 percent from the free throw line as a team this season. Detroit Pistons shot 74 percent.

And, if you see players in the WNBA getting away with moving screens etc. it's usually because the WNBA officials are missing calls.

Honestly, my only real problem with the WNBA is the officiating. Most of the officials are NCAA officials trying to get jobs in the NBA, and half the time they don't even know the WNBA rules, or else call plays/fouls inconsistently (worse than the NBA).

I think this will improve if/when the league begins to generate more press coverage and/or revenue, since the competition for WNBA officiating jobs will presumably get more intense.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    Honestly, my only real problem with the WNBA is the officiating. Most of the officials are NCAA officials trying to get jobs in the NBA, and half the time they don't even know the WNBA rules, or else call plays/fouls inconsistently (worse than the NBA).
    Thank you. The refs in the WNBA are incompetent. Of course, the worst I ever saw, Ed Mallory, got bumped to the big leagues.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie4Three
    Thank You.....I must say that I was going to go to IU, but I chose Purdue for the prestige. IU is going down because it has no direction. I love IU, I always dreamed of being a Hoosier, but Purdue is on the rise, and I want a great job.

As for you Jeff Foster....have you even been to Purdue??? It is AWESOME.

E-mail photo | Buy photos
    Danny Granger is flanked by Fever players Tan White (L) and Deanna Jackson while donating a $30,000 check on behalf of Pacers Sports & Entertainment to Red Cross disaster relief on Thursday.
    (Frank McGrath/Pacers)

Pacers, Fever Give $100,000
    To Hurricane Relief Funds

By Conrad Brunner | Sept. 1, 2005
    For Danny Granger and Deanna Jackson, no news is not good news. Both have family members unaccounted for in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which pounded the Gulf Coast region of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama on Monday.

The Pacers rookie and Fever forward were joined by Fever guard Tan White, a Mississippi native, in donating a check on behalf of the NBA and WNBA franchises to the American Red Cross of Greater Indianapolis Thursday on Monument Circle. The Pacers and Fever also made a donation to the Salvation Army's Hurricane Relief Fund. The donations totaled $100,000.

“Watching the events unfold on television and the horrible aftermath sickens you,” said Pacers Sports & Entertainment Chief Executive Officer and President Donnie Walsh. “When you have players who live there or are from those areas and to hear stories of concern for family and friends from them it brings it closer to home. That leads us to not only offer our prayers to those affected, but to offer financial assistance.”

Another Pacers player with family in the affected area is Jonathan Bender, a native of Picayune, Miss., who also owns a home in Kenner, La., a northern suburb of New Orleans. Benner is driving a truckload of supplies he purchased, including water, food, clothing, camp stoves and generators into the devastated region.

“The donation from the Pacers and Fever is a great gesture,” said Bender. “I’m anxious to help, but I’m scared to see first-hand what has happened. You never think this will happen to you or someone you know, but when it does, it knocks you back and the first thing to do is get up and help.”

Prior to Thursday night’s WNBA playoff game between the Fever and New York Liberty at Conseco Fieldhouse, donations were also accepted from fans to help the relief effort.

Granger said most of his 39 family members in and around New Orleans evacuated in advance of the storm but not his grandparents.

"Nobody's heard from them," Granger said, "so we're all kind of worried."

Granger said his family's home in Metairie, La., a suburb on the south shore of Lake Ponchartrain, is among the thousands damaged or destroyed by flooding, and the same is true for the residences of the rest of his family. As a result, he plans to have 10 or 11 of them stay in his new house in Carmel until they can get back on their feet.

"I just bought the house," he said. "I'm glad I didn't get an apartment. I went shopping yesterday – I need to get beds for all these rooms, and I need them delivered right away."

Jackson, whose Fever had the opportunity to close out the New York Liberty in Game 2 of their best-of-three WNBA Playoff series Thursday night in Conseco Fieldhouse, is from Brewton, Ala., a small town near the Gulf Coast between Mobile, Ala., and Pensacola, Fla. Though her mother evacuated, none in the family have heard from her uncle.

"We're still trying to find him," Jackson said. "The last time my mother talked to him he said he was going to try to get out. But the phones went down and we haven't heard from him. … We're kind of in a frenzy."

White is from Tupelo in northern Mississippi, which escaped the worst of the storm's wrath.

Red Cross spokesman Christopher Hintz praised the players, and franchise, for taking an active role in assisting the relief efforts. "This is just one more way we can see the community coming together," said Hintz. "When you watch the news and see what's going on down there, it's clear there is a need. To see these folks step in, well, they're leaders in the community and they're setting a great example."

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone watch the end of the Monarchs/Sparks game? That is what's wrong with the WNBA. EVERY player on the court choked as much as Nick Anderson at the free-throw line.

Lets see.... Monarchs up by 5 points.... let's throw the ball away repeatedly, and lightly foul a player while letting them make a lay-up. Then the Sparks player misses the free-throw, Lisa Leslie gets the rebound and blows a 3 foot shot, Monarchs get the ball, and a foul. They STILL miss 2 more free throws but manage to win.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

No last games I watched were Fever vs. Liberty and Shock vs. Storm.

Well the Fever won 58 50 and go to the ECF.

Shot 28%, yet won. Go figure.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Well the Fever won 58 50 and go to the ECF.

Shot 28%, yet won. Go figure.
    Damn, what did the Liberty shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax
    Anyone watch the end of the Monarchs/Sparks game? That is what's wrong with the WNBA. EVERY player on the court choked as much as Nick Anderson at the free-throw line.

Lets see.... Monarchs up by 5 points.... let's throw the ball away repeatedly, and lightly foul a player while letting them make a lay-up. Then the Sparks player misses the free-throw, Lisa Leslie gets the rebound and blows a 3 foot shot, Monarchs get the ball, and a foul. They STILL miss 2 more free throws but manage to win.
    Sounds like a lot of NBA games I've seen.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Damn, what did the Liberty shoot?
    35%

God this must have been boring game

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    35%

God this must have been boring game
    Sounds like Pacers/Pistons to me.

Indy now has two DPOYs!

Steals leader Tamika Catchings is the WNBA's defensive player of the year.

Catchings, who helped the Indiana Fever to a franchise-record 21 victories, earned 35 of 50 votes. She was second in voting the last two years.

She averaged 14.7 points, was third in the WNBA in rebounding (7.8) and first in steals (2.7).

"When you get an award like this, you think, 'Man, all these years you worked and worked to try to get better defensively, it's kind of paying off,' " Catchings said.

She led Indiana to a 21-13 record and its second postseason appearance in six years in the league.

Houston's Sheryl Swoopes, a three-time defensive award winner, was runner-up with seven votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Indy now has two DPOYs!
    Thats nice. Now if we could only get the Colts to think a little more about D we would be in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    Thats nice. Now if we could only get the Colts to think a little more about D we would be in great shape.
    Maybe they should go out and sign a Pro Bowl DT........

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Maybe they should go out and sign a Pro Bowl DT........
    You know what I mean. That is a great step but it isn't enough to make us an above average D, is it? Maybe it will help enough to give us that little extra boost.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/050901

This is a great article pretty much telling the NBA to stop pushing the WNBA down our throats which I agree 100%. At some point, business will rule over trying to sell women and the league will fold; and I would say in about 5 to maybe 10 years at most.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

woman without a team

He's just mad that Boston doesn't have a team.