Yes, I know it's still early, hence the "preliminary" in the title. But, since most of the major FAs have found homes now, I've deicded to throw a Top 10 together for discussion. As always, feel free to discuss why my rankings are crap, or add your own.
1) - Normally, when the defensing champions lose nobdoy significant in the offseason, they reamin #1 by default. When they also add players the calibur of Finley and Van exel, they solidify their grasp on the top spot.
2) :thepacers - Homer ranking? Perhaps. But after one of the best offseasons in franchise history, life post-Reggie ain't lookin' too bad.
3) - It remains to be seen if Miami's new acquisitions can mesh well together, but there's no doubt they improved on paper. And how much improvement do you need when you were just minutes away from a Finals appearance?
4) :thepiston - It's tough to tell if Detroit got better or worse in the offseason. Coaching is probably a downgrade, and acquiring Dale Davis and Maxiell will help, but Detroit's reign over the East is quite possibly over with Indy's and Miami's upgrades.
5) - Even w/o Joe Johnson, the Suns' explosive offense should be good enough for another 50+ win season. However, they haven't really addressed SA's moves yet, and theat leaves them below the defending champs in the West.
6) - After finishing strong last year, Yao/T-Mac and co. should be poised for a strong season. Adding Swift will help, as well.
7) - Georg Karl's teams are typically built for the regular season, so I look for the Nugz to get around 50 or so wins. The postseason could be another brutal early exit, though, depending on matchups.
8) - What's up with NJ's doctors? Adding SAR would have been huge, and maybe even given the Nets a shot at returning to the Finals. As is, they still have a great starting lineup. But, oh, what could have been...
9) :mavericks - Make no mistake, losing Finley will hurt. Dallas should still be a playoff team, though.
10) - Adding Bonzi should bolster their overall guard play, even if it did cost them BJax in the process.