Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shade's Preliminary Power Rankings [9-1-05]

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Shade's Preliminary Power Rankings [9-1-05]

Yes, I know it's still early, hence the "preliminary" in the title. But, since most of the major FAs have found homes now, I've deicded to throw a Top 10 together for discussion. As always, feel free to discuss why my rankings are crap, or add your own.

1) - Normally, when the defensing champions lose nobdoy significant in the offseason, they reamin #1 by default. When they also add players the calibur of Finley and Van exel, they solidify their grasp on the top spot.

2) :thepacers - Homer ranking? Perhaps. But after one of the best offseasons in franchise history, life post-Reggie ain't lookin' too bad.

3) - It remains to be seen if Miami's new acquisitions can mesh well together, but there's no doubt they improved on paper. And how much improvement do you need when you were just minutes away from a Finals appearance?

4) :thepiston - It's tough to tell if Detroit got better or worse in the offseason. Coaching is probably a downgrade, and acquiring Dale Davis and Maxiell will help, but Detroit's reign over the East is quite possibly over with Indy's and Miami's upgrades.

5) - Even w/o Joe Johnson, the Suns' explosive offense should be good enough for another 50+ win season. However, they haven't really addressed SA's moves yet, and theat leaves them below the defending champs in the West.

6) - After finishing strong last year, Yao/T-Mac and co. should be poised for a strong season. Adding Swift will help, as well.

7) - Georg Karl's teams are typically built for the regular season, so I look for the Nugz to get around 50 or so wins. The postseason could be another brutal early exit, though, depending on matchups.

8) - What's up with NJ's doctors? Adding SAR would have been huge, and maybe even given the Nets a shot at returning to the Finals. As is, they still have a great starting lineup. But, oh, what could have been...

9) :mavericks - Make no mistake, losing Finley will hurt. Dallas should still be a playoff team, though.

10) - Adding Bonzi should bolster their overall guard play, even if it did cost them BJax in the process.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Shade's Preliminary Power Rankings [9-1-05]

Not to bad. I think the Suns and Pistons should be switched but other than that it looks pretty good.

I'd put the Mavs over the Nets, but otherwise, pretty nice. I think Denver will find a SG soon and move up this list. Barry maybe?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

1.) - They are the champs, and they did nothing but get better. Even a die-hard pacers homer like me couldn't put the P's in front of the Spurs.

2.) - We look great right now. We are deep at every position, we have two MVP candidates, two possible ROTY candidates, and as of now, we are finally healthy. I think we match up well with everyone in the league, and I like our chances of finally winning that ring.

3.) - I'm prepared to take some heat for this pick, but I love this team. I think Houston got a lot better. Last year, they were a game away from beating the Mavs, and IMO, would have beaten the Suns. Now they have Stromile Swift, who showed he cares about winning more then being a star by signing here, and Derek Anderson. This team will be dangerous next year.

4.) - Losing Larry Brown will hurt, but they didn't lose any players, and they gained DD. It would be totally disrespectful to put them any lower then this imo. They've earned a top 4 spot the last 2 years, and they maintain it.

5.) - Definitley had an overrated offseason i think. I don't think white chocolate or Fatione will fit in to their lineup. I think Stan will be fired part way through the year only because the Heat will not be at the place many think they will be. Also, Shaq isn't getting any younger.

I'm gonna leave it there for now, i'm damn tired.

I also keep thinking that the Bulls should be in the top 10. Ahead of the Kings maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also keep thinking that the Bulls should be in the top 10. Ahead of the Kings maybe?
    We'll have to see what happens with Chandler and Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    1.) - They are the champs, and they did nothing but get better. Even a die-hard pacers homer like me couldn't put the P's in front of the Spurs.

2.) http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/i...ies/pacers.gif- We look great right now. We are deep at every position, we have two MVP candidates, two possible ROTY candidates, and as of now, we are finally healthy. I think we match up well with everyone in the league, and I like our chances of finally winning that ring.

3.) - I'm prepared to take some heat for this pick, but I love this team. I think Houston got a lot better. Last year, they were a game away from beating the Mavs, and IMO, would have beaten the Suns. Now they have Stromile Swift, who showed he cares about winning more then being a star by signing here, and Derek Anderson. This team will be dangerous next year.

4.) http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/i...es/pistons.gif- Losing Larry Brown will hurt, but they didn't lose any players, and they gained DD. It would be totally disrespectful to put them any lower then this imo. They've earned a top 4 spot the last 2 years, and they maintain it.

5.) - Definitley had an overrated offseason i think. I don't think white chocolate or Fatione will fit in to their lineup. I think Stan will be fired part way through the year only because the Heat will not be at the place many think they will be. Also, Shaq isn't getting any younger.

I'm gonna leave it there for now, i'm damn tired.

Ok I do agree somewhat on the Heat, I am not so sure they are going to be so much better than the Piston like alot of experts have them ranked, for whatever reason, and maybe call it ignorance,but they still do not scare me as much as the Pistons, now maybe that changes with the additons maybe not but I am not ready to crown them clearly better than the Pistons as of right now.

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    We'll have to see what happens with Chandler and Curry.
    Yeah, I was just assuming they stay. I hope they do, anyway. Hinrich/Gordon/Deng/Chandler/Curry is quite a team. Unless Chandler is coming here (yeah right) I hope they stay together.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Yeah, I was just assuming they stay. I hope they do, anyway. Hinrich/Gordon/Deng/Chandler/Curry is quite a team. Unless Chandler is coming here (yeah right) I hope they stay together.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14490

If only I had held off for a minute longer...

I like Houston too, but they are in the same division as the Spurs, so unless they can top them they wont finish higher than 4th in the West.

Wow, 3 of the top 4 teams are EC. Times have changed.

As things stand, this looks solid to me. One thing that could change the picture: The Spurs have set themselves up for a potential problem by having so many aging hoopsters in important roles. Also, this team has been playing about 100 games a season for years. Over a few years that can amount to another SEASON of wear and tear. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they are a little lower in the regular season rankings than usual. That said, they will be monsters in the playoffs.

The top ten still average out to be half East and half West. A couple of years ago it may have been suprising to see three Eastern team.

Indiana and Miami are not better teams than Detroit until they can prove it in a 7 game series.

On paper? Sure, Indy and Miami may look stronger.

Winning a 7 game series is totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987
    Indiana and Miami are not better teams than Detroit until they can prove it in a 7 game series.

This theory gets overblown. There's a lot of truth to it, but this isn't last year; things have changed. It will take the playoffs to determine just how much, but let's not ignore the reality of things. And let's not stop from having a lot of fun watching the regular season reveal some things. We made some big strides this offseason, Detroit lost the best NBA coach for one a notch or two lower, and as of now haven't made significant upgrades on the roster. Not that they needed to, but when your rivals do, it's a good idea.

We don't know that Detroit losing their coach drops them down. Flip could very well make them as good. And we don't know what to expect of their young guys. If they play better under Flip, they definitely could be better than both Indiana and Miami.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cox
    This theory gets overblown. There's a lot of truth to it, but this isn't last year; things have changed. It will take the playoffs to determine just how much, but let's not ignore the reality of things. And let's not have a lot of fun watching the regular season reveal some things. We made some big strides this offseason, Detroit lost the best NBA coach for one a notch or two lower, and as of now haven't made significant upgrades on the roster. Not that they needed to, but when your rivals do, it's a good idea.

Look, I fully expect us and Miami to go out and have better regular season records than Detroit.

But the entire season, it's going to be in the back of my mind that Detroit has a mental edge to us. That's going to be my biggest concern with the Pacers all year. Mental toughness. We have the roster, no doubt, but I still think that we are an extremely weak mentally team.

Let's not forget how Rasheed Wallace owns Jermaine O'Neal mentally. If Sheed is able to suck JO into playing 1 on 1 ball with him, then we're going to run into the exact same problems as last year.

Yes, they lost Brown, but we lost something pretty big too. We lost the player that put the team on his back last year, and Dale. Hopefully we're able to overcome those losses without much trouble, but they're still losses.

Well, if that's how we're doing things, we may as well just rank everyone to start the season where they ended last season.

It's gonna be ugly having Toad AND Adam in the game threads...

Look, I fully expect us and Miami to go out and have better regular season records than Detroit.

But the entire season, it's going to be in the back of my mind that Detroit has a mental edge to us. That's going to be my biggest concern with the Pacers all year. Mental toughness. We have the roster, no doubt, but I still think that we are an extremely weak mentally team.

Let's not forget how Rasheed Wallace owns Jermaine O'Neal mentally. If Sheed is able to suck JO into playing 1 on 1 ball with him, then we're going to run into the exact same problems as last year.

Yes, they lost Brown, but we lost something pretty big too. We lost the player that put the team on his back last year, and Dale. Hopefully we're able to overcome those losses without much trouble, but they're still losses.
    You're forgetting how good the Pacers have looked against Detroit when relatively healthy. If we don't get bombed with injuries/suspensions again, I think we can take Detroit fairly easily, to be completely honest.

You're forgetting how good the Pacers have looked against Detroit when relatively healthy. If we don't get bombed with injuries/suspensions again, I think we can take Detroit fairly easily, to be completely honest.
    People tend to forget this but, the night of the brawl we won by 15 without Foster, Reggie Miller (I know he won't be with the team this year so you can replace him with Granger and Sarunas), Scot Pollard, and Jonathan Bender (I know that we usually don't have him anyway so noone has to point that out). That being sai, us being put ahead of Detroit should not be extremely surprising to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    People tend to forget this but, the night of the brawl we won by 15 without Foster, Reggie Miller (I know he won't be with the team this year so you can replace him with Granger and Sarunas), Scot Pollard, and Jonathan Bender (I know that we usually don't have him anyway so noone has to point that out). That being sai, us being put ahead of Detroit should not be extremely surprising to anyone.
    Nor should it be shocking that Miami is ahead of Detroit. The Heat were unbelievably close to beating them in the ECF last year, and they have considerably improved (on paper) and Detroit has, at best, held even.

Nor should it be shocking that Miami is ahead of Detroit. The Heat were unbelievably close to beating them in the ECF last year, and they have considerably improved (on paper) and Detroit has, at best, held even.
    Totally agree.

Fairly easily? You serious?

Wow. That's all I can really say.

IndyToad
    Knows what to do with dead bodies

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    Fairly easily? You serious?

Wow. That's all I can really say.

IndyToad
    Knows what to do with dead bodies
    Yup.

Isn't that what pre-pre-season rankings are, though? On-paper rankings?

Are we supposed to wait till June to make a power ranking?