Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If New Orleans gets a direct hit from a cat 5 hurricane

Default Re: If New Orleans gets a direct hit from a cat 5 hurricane

Hey Guys, Thanks for the concern. Right now, they are tellling us we should expect 110 mph sustained winds and 150 mph gusts. New Orleans may see 160 mph sustained winds, and gusts up to 200 mph.

Right now, its mostly thunderstorms and a 20-30 mph winds. Should be an interesting night.

And as for getting out of here, well for the last 48 hours, as Btown can testify to, is a huge traffic jam. No interest in a normal 9 hours trip extending into 20 hours. And there are no hotels available due to them selling out from all the people running from the storm, and many of the gas stations down here are out of gas. So if you get very far, you may get stuck due to lack of gas.......

We are about 10 miles off the shore inland, so we should be ok, I hope.

I'll keep updating every once in a while, at least until we lose power.

Thanks again for the concern. In the mean time, we're having a hurricane party with about 10 people that are riding the storm out with us in the house. Lots of Beer, food and liquor!!!!!!

Jeff Foster

They say on Yahoo that New Orleans is about to be Atlantis. That doesn't sound too good. Hope it's not too bad.

Gyron and whomever lives down there, I really hope you come out of this unharmed. My thoughts will be with you guys
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne both have family in New Orleans. I certainly hope that everyone is going to be ok. I hope the SuperDome holds up.

Why are people refusing to leave?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by pacercoltfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne both have family in New Orleans. I certainly hope that everyone is going to be ok. I hope the SuperDome holds up.

Why are people refusing to leave?

Because the media has cried wolf a little too much and a little too soon with some of their previous 'hell storm' forecasts and people slowly start tuning them out.

This does appear to be the real deal.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Harmonica

Well, hopefully Bender gets out of there okay. I mean, I'd hate for anything to happen to him that might nullify his contract, thus allowing us to clear $7 mil in salary. Nope, wouldn't want that to happen.

I was in the path of Katrina when it crossed S. Florida. Where I am, in Homestead, we were only supposed to get 5-15 inches of rain over a 3 day period and some high winds when a feeder band came through. Well, the storm turned and the eye passed about 10 miles from my house. We ended up getting 20 inches of rain OVERNIGHT and non-stop winds in the 40-70 mph range for about 5-6 hours straight. I was one of the fortunate ones because my neighborhood was probably the only one that never lost power and did not get flooded. All around us there are still places under water and have no power. Our boil water notice was just lifted yesterday. We were also fortunate that we lost only one tree and it did no structural damage because it was only about 20 ft tall. Some people were killed or lost there homes and cars by trees falling on them.

This is to illustrate just how bad this storm is. It was a Cat 1 when it hit here. Now it's a Cat 5. You can multiply by 50 the amount of damage there compared to here. It will be a life-changing, and possibly geography-changing event. I sympathize with the people in that area. I have a good friend stationed in Biloxi that was not allowed to evacuate with his 3 kids because he is considered "mission essential". They are staying in a shelter on the Base but his wife was on duty in S. Carolina and was scheduled to come home today but can't. She will be lucky to get to them by next week and even when she gets there she probably won't know where she is going because all of the landmarks and streets signs will be gone.

It has been 13 years and 5 days since Andrew hit here and this town is JUST NOW starting to show signs of growth. I feel bad for the people up there. Worse yet, I feel helpless because there is nothing I, or anyone else but God, can do to stop what's happening there today.

Well at least it is passing just to the east of N.O., which is better than just to the west. So I am guessing the "worst case scenerio" won't happen. But N.O. will be bad, but not quite as bad as they could have been

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well the further east it goes, it got slightly worse for Gyron. I really hope he's ok.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's breaking on CNN right now that the roof of the Superdome is leaking. There are thousands of people inside.

Just heard on NBC, that panels of the roof are coming off and they can see daylight though the holes in the roof, and people are sitting in the dome with umbrella up

My buddy just called me from his secure location and said that most of the pumps in NO have shut off. Bad news. Even on the West side of this storm there will be considerable flooding there. He also said that the eye had shifted and is now headed towards Biloxi where they are already getting 130 mph gusts.

Mood

On CNN they have a former mayor of New Orleans in the studio. He said that the Superdome was built for the ages, and the architects boasted that it was stronger then the Roman Colosseum.

Well the structure might be strong, but the roof isn't.

Just heard on NBC
    Now the roof has over 60 holes in and it is like hundreds of hoses pouring water down. Many of the people in there are moving to the outer concourses

This is crazy! I hope everyone can make through this safetly.

Fox News has some interesting coverage.
    AKA Sactolover05

Zesty

I'm glad we pretty much only have to worry about the occasional tornado around here.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm glad we pretty much only have to worry about the occasional tornado around here.
    Speaking of which, what's left of the storm is expected to pass over Indiana and Ohio Tuesday night. Hurricane remnants are well known for their ability to spawn tornadoes.

Well, as a long time, non-posting member, who lives in New Orleans, I thought I would give you an update from what I know.

I am currently in Memphis and New Orleans is currently undergoing the most damage it has ever faced. From people I know that stayed, there is apparently 10 feet of water in Chalmette, the place my parents live, and probably more by the lake, were I live.

My girlfriend's parents stayed and are near flooding in their house with two trees and a power line leaning on their roof, all the while with two young children. Please, whether you pray or not, keep them in your hearts for the time being. This is a devastating event for all of New Orleans, and America in general.

I am scared. Whose knows what exists after this storm? I am hearing reports of power remaining out till at least the end of September.

I am in a hotel and have internet here and there. When I hear anything else I will let you all know. Thanks for the thoughts. Please, keep them coming.

PS. I just got a call from another person with two reports. In New Orleans east there is a family in their attic with water abot to breach with no Axe to break through the roof. Terrible. Also my roommates brother's girlfriend are on the second floor of their house with water about 5 feet full on the first floor. The drainage canal broke near the ninth ward and about 8 feet of water has flooded all surrounding areas.

I'll continue to pray but I also continue to ask why people did not get out when they had a chance the last two days. Will never understand that.

I'm not trying to be cruel BayouPacer, and I realize there are circumstances that prohibited many from leaving. But the storm was not as bad as it could have been, just think if it passed 40 miles further west.

No one is more mad than us for loved one deciding not to leave. But what idiocy is done, is done. Now we just must pray that everything stays well. But there are still a TON of people who had no way to get out and are suffering for it.

Why Not Us ?

It's been downgraded now to a tropical storm I believe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Well, I wonder how many countries will come to our aid to help with the cleanup and other monetary costs such as rebuilding?

They are probably already organizing telethons...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, it was heartbreaking to simply hear CNN's Jeanne Meserve (sp?) describe the things she had witnessed today. I cannot imagine the devastation.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

I've gotten watery eyed over the black gentleman in the yellow shirt talking about his wife, and his house splitting in two. That one got to me. Any one else seen that?