Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who the heck is this years MVP???

NewYawk

Default Who the heck is this years MVP???

Think about it. Who has been the NBA's Most Valuable Player this year? Clearly, no one stands out. While Shaq is Shaq, Tim is Tim, and KG is KG, neither of them has separated themselves from the pack. Kidd has had a good year, but nothing MVP-like. Pedja? You could make a case (weird huh?). Heck, you could probably make a case for JO! He's the best player on the best team in the league. That counts for something.

What's everyone else think. I mean, no one has really stepped it up and played like an MVP this year, which might explain why the NBA is hurting right now.

Oh, and if someone says Lebron, I will find you and smack you upside the head.

Default Re: Who the heck is this years MVP???

I've been thinking Garnett almost all year. But with the Wolves struggling, he may lose it.

JO's a darkhorse because he's the best player on the best team.

PacerStud

JO's a darkhorse because he's the best player on the best team.
    Hey - let's leave the race card on the table.

I really don't think it is close.

Shaq has missed to many games

Duncan has missed too many games

Garnett will win easily.

Garnett without question.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with Walton.

JO's been the best player all season on the team that has been the best all season.

Why isn't he the leading candidate?

Its just too bad Walton declares one League MVP per game, if he would lead the lobbying for JO then maybe he would be the leading candidate. Didn't he declare KVH to be the MVP at some point in time last Sunday?

I think the KG media-machine will win, but I don't think he deserves it over JO - especially with the Timberwolves struggling during the dog days of March.

Its also true that a player needs to be "on the radar" for a couple seasons before they win the MVP award because reputation matters more than actual performance. KG has been "on the radar" longer. And Duncan was better last season. But JO's the MVP in my book.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

diego

Well I think KG will win it, but i dont necessarily think he should. Not that he shouldn't either, but cases could be made for several players IMO.

JO- 40 double doubles (3rd in league right now), maybe best player in EC, team has had best record almost all year in NBA, adapted to a new coach and style

KG - outstanding season, will finish in top 2 in double doubles, team is competing for top seed in west, but he has 2 other all stars in Cassell and Sprewell, where JO only has Artest.

LBJ - this kid is sick. averaging 21,6, and 6 at 18 years old. Jeesh. The Cavs are challenging for a top 6 playoff spot. they have grown together as a team with LBJ(an 18 year old( as the focal point) He gets his teamates involved, is a good defender and has more than lived up the hype.

IMO I think LBJ is MVP. I know it sounds crazy but this kid has elevated a crap team to a formidable opponet in one year. And he has done it with all the media hype and such at the age of 18.

The way I determine MVP is this:

Look at each team, take away that team's best player, and look at how much worse off they'd be without that player.

So... by that logic, you'd have to go with Garnett, for sure.

Lebron is in second (The Cavs are in the running for homecourt advantage in the first round!!!!) That team wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs without Lebron IMO...

After that I'd say you have to go with J.O., and Duncan right behind him.

NewYawk

Well I think KG will win it, but i dont necessarily think he should. Not that he shouldn't either, but cases could be made for several players IMO.

JO- 40 double doubles (3rd in league right now), maybe best player in EC, team has had best record almost all year in NBA, adapted to a new coach and style

KG - outstanding season, will finish in top 2 in double doubles, team is competing for top seed in west, but he has 2 other all stars in Cassell and Sprewell, where JO only has Artest.

LBJ - this kid is sick. averaging 21,6, and 6 at 18 years old. Jeesh. The Cavs are challenging for a top 6 playoff spot. they have grown together as a team with LBJ(an 18 year old( as the focal point) He gets his teamates involved, is a good defender and has more than lived up the hype.

IMO I think LBJ is MVP. I know it sounds crazy but this kid has elevated a crap team to a formidable opponet in one year. And he has done it with all the media hype and such at the age of 18.
    What's Cleveland's record? Exactly. Lebron is a fine, fine rookie, but he is not an MVP. He will play in the playoffs with a losing record. That too is not an MVP.

Garnett is easily the best player in the league. Since his team is also doing well, it will be a travesty if he doesn't win it.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Garnett is will win. JO may have 40 double doubles, but Garnett has 58. PLus I just think his game is better than JO's at this point.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

My top 3.

1. Garnett
    2. JO
    3. Peja

Cleveland has more then just Lebron to credit for their turnaround. Z and Boozer have both been terrific this season, Silas is a good coach and they added McGinnis and 2 good vets from Boston in Battie and Williams.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As clearly as JO has been the 2nd best player int he NBA this season, KG has JUST as clearly been the BEST. He's the MVP. No doubt about it

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo

KG has 58 double-doubles and averages 25, 14, and 5 (rounding up).

As if that wasn't enough, he's shooting right at 50% and amazingly, with a better supporting cast, he's improved his scoring. Throw in 2 blocks and a steal and a half for good measure on the defensive end and the picture becomes very clear.

Garnett is MVP of the regular season.

However, Jermaine still has a good shot at winning the Finals MVP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

It's KG's year.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

KG is the MVP this year, I can't see anyone else winning it. I love JO but, he needs to improve his FG%. 43% is just plain bad for a big guy.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

KG is the MVP this year, I can't see anyone else winning it. I love JO but, he needs to improve his FG%. 43% is just plain bad for a big guy.
    A fair criticism, but JO gets hammered a lot with no foul called.

In 12 more games played, he trails Shaq by 200 FTA.

Just call one more foul per game, and take away 65 FGAs from that stat, his FG% goes up a lot, and he still would barely crack the top 5 in FTAs.

tdeltdot

Doesn't it seem contradictory that KG should get MVP honors the year he's finally surrounded by a fantastic team?

Not that the MVP need be a lone wolf, or anything. But both he and Duncan are playing at roughly the same level they were last season. Yes, KG's scoring is up by two points pg, but his assists are down by 1 pg - so everything is essentially balanced out. TD will finish out the season having only missed a dozen games or so, so his injuries shouldn't be too large of a factor.

The only thing that's changed has been KG's supporting case, but how does that transform him into a more valuable player all of a sudden? Why shouldn't Duncan simply win it again?

tdeltdot

Just call one more foul per game, and take away 65 FGAs from that stat, his FG% goes up a lot, and he still would barely crack the top 5 in FTAs.
    JO is roughly 50th in the league in FG% amongst big men. Not all of those 49 guys ahead of him are getting treated better than he by the ref.s. So JO's non-calls really provide no excuse. If you give JO more calls, then you have to do it for every other maligned big man and JOs positioning ultimately remains the same.

I think JO should win it, my reasons are described in this thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/v...?p=21243#21243
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kevin Garnett will Be the MVP this Year and I can't see a reason why he doesn't deserve it .

JO is roughly 50th in the league in FG% amongst big men. Not all of those 49 guys ahead of him are getting treated better than he by the ref.s. So JO's non-calls really provide no excuse. If you give JO more calls, then you have to do it for every other maligned big man and JOs positioning ultimately remains the same.
    What the other big do has no consequence to what happens to JO. JO gets fouled and never gets any calls...this does not apply as much to the others. I'm sure they get their fair share of calls, but JO does not get as much as he deserves. This is why his FG% is so down.

What the other big do has no consequence to what happens to JO. JO gets fouled and never gets any calls...this does not apply as much to the others. I'm sure they get their fair share of calls, but JO does not get as much as he deserves. This is why his FG% is so down.
    Its true that JO would probably still not move into the top-10 in FG% for big men. And I'm not saying he doesn't have a lot of room to improve himself here, but c'mon, Shareef has taken more FTs that JO this year, and that's a crime. For a legit-MVP candidate, he shouldn't be fourteenth or whatever he is ranked in FTA. No respect, I tell you. No respect.

tdeltdot

You're telling me that JO gets more no-calls than Sheed and Chris Bosh?, both of whom shoot a far better FG%. C'mon, you've got to be kidding.

You're telling me that JO gets more no-calls than Sheed and Chris Bosh?, both of whom shoot a far better FG%. C'mon, you've got to be kidding.
    Yes. Since when does Chris Bosh, a rookie, get more no-calls???