Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T.O.

Default Re: T.O.

TO based on playing football > Marvin Harrison, but if you throw in all the **** that the Eagles have to put up with from TO then Marvin is better.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nino Brown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TO based on playing football > Marvin Harrison
    I know it's just an opinion, but how did you come to your conclusion?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    I know it's just an opinion, but how did you come to your conclusion?
    It must be because TO's career numbers dwarf Marvin's. Oh wait, no it's the other way around.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerman157
    hes only had three more td's T.O. has had running qb's
    Never knew Steve Young and Jeff Garcia were the forerunners for McNabb and Vick.

Mood

I understand that Marvin has had the benefit of outstanding QB play for his entire career, and that TO hasn't. However, I think it evens out because Marvin isn't 6'3" with a freakish vertical leap. Marvin's player page on NFL.com lists him at 6' even. I've met the man in person and let's just say, I doubt it. I'm 6' and he's not a hair over 5'9".

The way that Marvin plays is very different from the way that TO plays. TO beats you with athletic ability. He leaps between double coverage and still hauls down his share of balls. Marvin doesn't have that advantage, so he has to beat you with speed (people forget that Marvin ran the fastest 40 in this draft class), deception, and crisp routes. All in all, it takes a much better football player to beat you the way that Marvin does. If TO would make the effort to couple his natural athletic gifts with Marvin's approach to the game, he'd be an unstoppable force. But he won't, and isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    I mean, the Colts 2nd reciever put up the same numbers as T.O.
    This will be the only positive comment I'll give to TO.

He put up those numbers in 12(?) wks, whereas Reggie played 15 1/2. I say 1/2 because the Denver game was a practice walk through for the starters.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This will be the only positive comment I'll give to TO.

He put up those numbers in 12(?) wks, whereas Reggie played 15 1/2. I say 1/2 because the Denver game was a practice walk through for the starters.
    TO played in 14 games...

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    I understand that Marvin has had the benefit of outstanding QB play for his entire career, and that TO hasn't. However, I think it evens out because Marvin isn't 6'3" with a freakish vertical leap. Marvin's player page on NFL.com lists him at 6' even. I've met the man in person and let's just.
    I have seen him also. I am taller then he is. I'm 5ft11.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    I'm aware of that (though TO played in 14 games).

But also consider that the Colts starters barely played past halftime in at least 4 games, and stopped throwing downfield after half in 2 or 3 others.

T.O. played fewer total games. But the Eagles didn't suffer without him. And Reggie certainly didn't play in 16 full games either.

I thought it was fewer than that.

Also to be fair, he didn't have any other WRs to compete with because Pinkston and Mitchell blow. Plus, Westbrook(?) doesn't demand as many carrys as Edge either.

Marvin is clearly better than TO. However, Owens is a terrific wide reciever that you shouldn't really judge on his stats with the Eagles because they run a traditional 49ers style west coast offense and really spread the ball out to everyone. It's very common for the Eagles to have 9 or 10 different players catch passes during a game.

Andy Reid loves to spread the ball around and throw to his running backs like the 49ers did with Roger Craig and Ricky Watters. TO definitely isn't the only recieving threat on the Eagles just look at Brian Westbrook's numbers out of the backfield in just 13 games he caught 73 passes for over 700 yards last season.

They had like 10 or 11 players catch at least 9 passes last season it's just a different offensive philosophy so there won't ever be an Eagle reciever under Andy Reid that puts up huge numbers because of his offensive system.

Owens is a talented reciever and probably a top 3 reciever in the league he is just a selfish bonehead off the field and sometimes on the field as well with some of his antics.

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    Marvin is clearly better than TO. However, Owens is a terrific wide reciever that you shouldn't really judge on his stats with the Eagles because they run a traditional 49ers style west coast offense and really spread the ball out to everyone. It's very common for the Eagles to have 9 or 10 different players catch passes during a game.
    The Colts had 3 WRs with over 1000 yds each, not to mention 2 legit starting TEs, and a very good route running rb.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    The Colts had 3 WRs with over 1000 yds each, not to mention 2 legit starting TEs, and a very good route running rb.
    That is my point. The Colts in their passing game mainly throw to their wide recievers and tight ends which makes sense because of their great depth at those positions. I don't get to see many Colts games but I'm guessing they must run alot of 3 wide reciever sets and let Manning audible and pick apart the coverage.

Their offensive passing system is totally different than the Eagles because the Eagles include the running backs more heavily in the passing game so the Eagles wideouts won't get as many passes thrown their way as the Colts wideouts so Owens' stats won't be as good. The Colts had 353 receptions last season and only 60 of those were caught by running backs/full backs conversely the Eagles had less total catches but threw the ball to their running backs almost twice as much as the Colts with a total of
    109 catches out of their backfield.

Colts 353 catches 60 from their running backs

Eagles 336 catches 109 from their running backs

As you can see the Eagles throw way more often to their running backs which would hurt Owen's numbers if you put him on the Colts who don't throw nearly as often to their backs than his numbers would be higher.

Both offenses work and were terrific last season I'm just pointing out that the Eagles system passes the ball way more often to their backs. The tight ends of both teams caught about the same amount of passes last season it was just that the Colts throw way more often to their wide recievers than the Eagles do.

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    Both offenses work and were terrific last season I'm just pointing out that the Eagles system passes the ball way more often to their backs. The tight ends of both teams caught about the same amount of passes last season it was just that the Colts throw way more often to their wide recievers than the Eagles do.

I understand. I was just saying that McNabb looks almost exclusively towards TO when in a WR passing set whereas Peyton has 3 high quality routes to chose from, and has to spread the ball around to them to keep them happy. The Eagles have to use their backs more frequently to keep the defenses honest. I doubt many teams were worried that Pinkston and Mitchell were going to burn them.

Pacerman157

i never said he was the best in the history of the game
    where did you come up with that btown?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerman157
    i never said he was the best in the history of the game
    where did you come up with that btown?

I think it has to do with the fact that your last line in the starting post was "What do you think about that Colts fans? "

People usually get defensive when you attack.