Thread: Pacers WERE interested in Wilkins

Default Pacers WERE interested in Wilkins

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Sonics retain Damien Wilkins
    Team matches T-Wolves' 5-year, $15 million offer

By DAN RALEY
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

The Minnesota Timberwolves wrestled a coach away from Seattle, but a second raid on the team turned up empty.

On Wednesday, the Sonics matched Minnesota's five-year, $15 million offer sheet to Damien Wilkins, citing his vast improvement as reason enough to invest in a 6-foot-6 swingman who wasn't drafted, appeared in just 29 games and was making the NBA minimum of $385,000.

These teams were not alone in their efforts to employ the son of Gerald Wilkins and nephew of Dominique Wilkins, accomplished pros in their own right.

"To go from a guy who was not drafted to have almost seven offers on the table, multiyear deals, is unbelievable," the younger Wilkins said in a phone interview from Georgia. "The best thing happened. The best thing for me was to be back in green and gold."

Among other pursuers were Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, Indiana, Portland and San Antonio. Everyone saw the same thing.

Wilkins, 25, was languishing on the far end of the Sonics bench until injuries to Vladimir Radmanovich and Rashard Lewis in the latter half of the season made him a regular presence on the floor. He responded with eight double-figure games, including a pair of 20-point outings, and started seven times. He also demonstrated his adeptness at playing defense, an often rare NBA commodity.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basket...34_sonx25.html

Looks like Pacer were interested and possibly even made an offer?

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Pacers WERE interested in Wilkins

He's a 2/3, right? Why would we try to sign one of those right now when we're not even keeping JJ? Something's up...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cox
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a 2/3, right? Why would we try to sign one of those right now when we're not even keeping JJ? Something's up...
    That does look peculiar, at the same time we are saying we cannot afford to sign JJ to a new contract because he would be the third option at a position so we let him go, yet the Pacers "allegedly" had a possible offer to Wikins ?

If that is the case, it does make you think....

Why Not Us ?

We don't even know if this report is true. I think only about 25% of what we read on the internet is true, if that. Major sites like ESPN are wrong all the time. And if we went by internet reports Saras would be playing for Cleveland or Utah this coming season.

What do I think? I think the Pacers are actually trying to trade sideways right now. If they can get someone cheap that they think is as good as what they have, but makes more money, they will do it.

I dont know why we would sign him, but ohh well. I hope Donnie and Larry and working on some moves to get us one more big man.

Quote Originally Posted by Nino Brown
    I dont know why we would sign him, but ohh well. I hope Donnie and Larry and working on some moves to get us one more big man.
    You and me both, does not have to be necessarily a big name just a role player to help out would be great.

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seems to me that each time a player is signed the reporting article feels the need to list some teams that were interested. IMO they just spout off some teams that in their minds might be interested in that type of player, and we always seem to be on the list.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

I believe it is probably true, but I would guess the Pacers inquire/are interested in a whole lot of players. Pacers have to be ready to shift their focus to another player on a moments notice in case a trade comes along that they can't refuse.

Talking Re: Pacers WERE interested in Wilkins

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cox
    Big deal for Artest?!!!!!!!

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    Big deal for Artest?!!!!!!!
    I sure hope thats not it. I said it in another thread, I think they just wanted to clear some room to trade maybe aj, pollard, cro, bender, etc. . . for another big man. At least thats my wishfull thinking.