Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Did your college degree help?

  1. #1
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Did your college degree help?

    As a college student working towards my degree I always here the horror stories of people who went to school, got degrees, and proceeded to go work in a job that kids in high school could be doing.

    I heard one yesterday from the person who was selling me my books for college. She had graduated and worked in the field for a year and now she was selling my books and going back to school for something else.

    I've constantly got this fear going that I'm wasting valuable years of my life going to school. I work really hard at school (Dean's List every semester), have a full-time job, and am trying to plan a wedding. Needless to say my life gets pretty stressful when school season is in full swing.

    So what about you guys/girls? When you graduated college what happened? Did you get a job that pertained to your study?

    I'd like to hear some good stories to combat all the tragedies.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  2. #2
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,337

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    DD, there are no promises you'll be working in the field your major points you to. What it WILL do for you is give you a major leg up on the competition by drawing the attention of potential employers. Believe me it will mean something when Human Resources breaks down that pile of resumes and aps to the three stacks of "interview, maybe, and no way in hell".
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  3. #3
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    RWB hit the nail right on the head. There are many, many, many jobs out there that they won't even read your resume once they see you don't have a college degree. Which, personally, I think is ****. I've got two bachelor's, and I have yet to use one ounce of what I was taught in college. The foundation of everything I do is built on what I learned at the summer jobs I had.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  4. #4
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not in the slightest.

    Anyone have a job for me?
    Okay, but if you could do it all over again would you still go to college? For something different? Or would you gone to a trade school? Or just said it, I'm going to get life on now.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  5. #5
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Then their is this next quandery. Which is more attractive to employers? Degrees or expireince. Everytime I go onto Monster.com just to see what jobs are out there some don't require expirience, but the majority ask for anywhere between 3-7 years of expirience in that field.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  6. #6

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    I was an art major so of course not. But I think the college experience was worth it and i could do what I am doing now without a degree of some sort.

  7. #7
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was an art major so of course not. But I think the college experience was worth it and i could do what I am doing now without a degree of some sort.
    See thats the thing for me. I don't get the college experience, but then again I really wouldn't want too. I commute every day (a long way), come home go to work, do homework, do it all over again.

    So I'm really in this for some career benefit. I really don't want to go through all this expensive hard work if I'll be back at stage one when its over.

    I know RWB and Kegboy are right, its just so frustrating that my studies may prove fruitless.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  8. #8
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    I agree with Kegboy and RWB, degrees are a qualifier when sorting through a pile of resumes.

    I've met people in my industry (computer software) that don't have them, but they are the exception rather than the rule. And honestly, their quality of work seems more unstructured than most of the other folks.

    My brother-in-law is in a similar line of work, but without a degree. He's a contractor and I think it hinders his ability to get contracts.

    I'd say the type of degree doesn't matter, once you have a fair bit of experience - one of the best computer people I know has a degree in Spanish. But it will be much tougher to get that experience without a degree in your field.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  9. #9
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Undergrad - accounting - yes since I was an accountant it was worthwhile, even though I hated the work.

    MBA - finance - this was clearly a pre-requisite for what I do now.

    You and Btown have each hit the nail on the head - your degree will be more beneficial if you know exactly what you want to use it for. I think we - as a society - push too many people into college right away when they really haven't figured out what they want to do yet.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  10. #10
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then their is this next quandery. Which is more attractive to employers? Degrees or expireince.
    I wouldn't worry about that too much right now. That will depend entirely upon the needs of a particular company and you have no control over that. If, when you graduate, you find that companies in your chosen field tend to require more experience, you have options such as internships or taking a job in a closely-related field or starting at the bottom in the mailroom, etc. The bottom line is: If you're smart, ambitious and persistent, you'll find your way around any obstacles that might get in your way. And don't let other people's tales of woe bring you down. They're not you. Oh, and never underestimate the power of connections. Use them as much as you can. They can break down doors for you. What are you studying and what do you ultimately want to do?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the power of connections.
    That is really the best way to get a job.

  12. #12
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't worry about that too much right now. That will depend entirely upon the needs of a particular company and you have no control over that. If, when you graduate, you find that companies in your chosen field tend to require more experience, you have options such as internships or taking a job in a closely-related field or starting at the bottom in the mailroom, etc. The bottom line is: If you're smart, ambitious and persistent, you'll find your way around any obstacles that might get in your way. And don't let other people's tales of woe bring you down. They're not you. Oh, and never underestimate the power of connections. Use them as much as you can. They can break down doors for you. What are you studying and what do you ultimately want to do?
    Well I just changed majors. Not really because both are catergorized under the giant umbrella of communications. I was studying TV, and that was the clearest choice for me. I had been studying it in high school, I was good at it, and I really enjoyed doing it. Well this was all before I knew I'd be getting married.

    The TV lifestyle of the crazy hours and routine moving cities became un-appealing. Now I have changed over to public relations. Which, at least in the way it is handled at my college is like changing majors.

    I had seriously contemplated changing to a business major, and honestly thats what I should do, however I only came to this revelation about 2 weeks before school starts back up again. I knew it would be impossible to change everything so quickly so I adjusted a few courses and got into the most business like part of COMM there was, public relations.

    Now I've been checking on Monster.com to see the jobs available and many of them look enticing, however there is that expirience thing thats got me thinking I'll be 35 before I get these jobs. However I'm sure you're correct about the expirience thing.

    My strategy will be to apply to as many places as I can find, just hoping that one of those who say needs "5+ years expirience" is bluffing.

    I saw what on paper looks to be a sweet gig, it was a public relations specialist for the Indiana Department of Adminstration. A government job would be sweet, considering I've grown up with parents knowing that there is no retirement plan for them. I'd love to have some government benefits, even for less pay.

    However, I'm open to different types of jobs. I really just want to walk away from college with a job that I know wouldn't have been there had I not gone. It costs my parents and myself a lot of money to go, so I don't want it to be for nothing.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  13. #13
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I just changed majors. Not really because both are catergorized under the giant umbrella of communications. I was studying TV, and that was the clearest choice for me. I had been studying it in high school, I was good at it, and I really enjoyed doing it. Well this was all before I knew I'd be getting married.

    The TV lifestyle of the crazy hours and routine moving cities became un-appealing. Now I have changed over to public relations. Which, at least in the way it is handled at my college is like changing majors.

    I had seriously contemplated changing to a business major, and honestly thats what I should do, however I only came to this revelation about 2 weeks before school starts back up again. I knew it would be impossible to change everything so quickly so I adjusted a few courses and got into the most business like part of COMM there was, public relations.

    Now I've been checking on Monster.com to see the jobs available and many of them look enticing, however there is that expirience thing thats got me thinking I'll be 35 before I get these jobs. However I'm sure you're correct about the expirience thing.

    My strategy will be to apply to as many places as I can find, just hoping that one of those who say needs "5+ years expirience" is bluffing.

    I saw what on paper looks to be a sweet gig, it was a public relations specialist for the Indiana Department of Adminstration. A government job would be sweet, considering I've grown up with parents knowing that there is no retirement plan for them. I'd love to have some government benefits, even for less pay.

    However, I'm open to different types of jobs. I really just want to walk away from college with a job that I know wouldn't have been there had I not gone. It costs my parents and myself a lot of money to go, so I don't want it to be for nothing.
    Funny, I have a nearly identical degree: BFA in Theater Arts with minors in broadcast production and public relations. You know the Pacers offer internships in media relations, right? Seems like something you'd really enjoy and should check into. It would look great on your resumé, too.

  14. #14
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny, I have a nearly identical degree: BFA in Theater Arts with minors in broadcast production and public relations. You know the Pacers offer internships in media relations, right? Seems like something you'd really enjoy and should check into. It would look great on your resumé, too.
    Yeah, I knew they had something. And actually my school has internships set up with them and the Colts, being as my college (University of Indianapolis) is 10 minutes from each facility. However, as you can imagine, those internships are highly sought after.

    Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be better than the competition.

    Seriously though, I'd have to evaluate my status at that point. I am 99.9999% sure that those internships are unpaid. I'm not all about the money or anything, but it would depend on the hours necessary for the internship, because I'm not sure I could afford to go to school and spend 35 hrs a week at a place were I'm not getting paid. I would not want my wife to have to completely support our life for that amount of time. I'd just have to see.

    Other than that, of course I'd love to intern with the Pacers. For all the obvious reasons and the fact that I'm sure I would get plenty of connections that way.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  15. #15
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I knew they had something. And actually my school has internships set up with them and the Colts, being as my college (University of Indianapolis) is 10 minutes from each facility. However, as you can imagine, those internships are highly sought after.

    Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be better than the competition.
    Or you could PM rabidpacersfan and see if he could make an introduction for you. I believe he did or is doing an internship there. Use your connections.


    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously though, I'd have to evaluate my status at that point. I am 99.9999% sure that those internships are unpaid. I'm not all about the money or anything, but it would depend on the hours necessary for the internship, because I'm not sure I could afford to go to school and spend 35 hrs a week at a place were I'm not getting paid. I would not want my wife to have to completely support our life for that amount of time. I'd just have to see.
    That's noble and everything, but surely you could swing it for a few months. Try to look at the long-term benefit versus the short-term sacrifice. I imagine it would open up some doors for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other than that, of course I'd love to intern with the Pacers. For all the obvious reasons and the fact that I'm sure I would get plenty of connections that way.
    PM rabidpacersfan. Or that pb777 guy.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Like others said, it all depends if you know what you wnat to do. Degrees then are vital. I'm a biology major, and I know for a fact that I want to do medicine/research. So if you know, life is better.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  17. #17
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or you could PM rabidpacersfan and see if he could make an introduction for you. I believe he did or is doing an internship there. Use your connections.



    That's noble and everything, but surely you could swing it for a few months. Try to look at the long-term benefit versus the short-term sacrifice. I imagine it would open up some doors for you.



    PM rabidpacersfan. Or that pb777 guy.
    Your right that would be a good idea. Unfortunately my school does not honor internships till you junior year. So this year it would do me no academic good. Obviously the personal expirience would be great, but I'm still young and would like to get some more courses done towards this field that way I can make a better impression during my internship.

    At some point I may have to get over this fear of asking for a favor. Like the idea of asking one of those guys to do me a favor when I have never done anything with them (other than argue with them ) is very hard for me. But I guess thats what "connections" are.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  18. #18
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Yes.

    I have a degree in Biology and Chemistry.

    I work in the Forensics and Toxicology fields.

  19. #19
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like others said, it all depends if you know what you wnat to do. Degrees then are vital. I'm a biology major, and I know for a fact that I want to do medicine/research. So if you know, life is better.
    Yeah, I was sure I wanted to do TV. But then life changed.

    However that may be a career blessing in disguise, as the woman who sold me my books graduated with a degree to work in TV.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  20. #20
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes.

    I have a degree in Biology and Chemistry.

    I work in the Forensics and Toxicology fields.
    Awesome! Did you get a job right after college? Or did you have one waiting on you before you graduated?
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  21. #21
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like others said, it all depends if you know what you wnat to do. Degrees then are vital. I'm a biology major, and I know for a fact that I want to do medicine/research. So if you know, life is better.
    Yup. Elem. Ed. Major here; pretty obvious where I'm headed.

  22. #22
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Back to where you came from?

    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  23. #23
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,296

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cox
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup. Elem. Ed. Major here; pretty obvious where I'm headed.
    Seeing how your male, ANYWHERE YOU WANT!

  24. #24
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back to where you came from?

    Only in charge.

  25. #25
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Did your college degree help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your right that would be a good idea. Unfortunately my school does not honor internships till you junior year. So this year it would do me no academic good. Obviously the personal expirience would be great, but I'm still young and would like to get some more courses done towards this field that way I can make a better impression during my internship.
    I wouldn't worry so much about the academic aspect of it right now versus the practical aspect (experience, resumé and connections). You're on a different path than a lot of your peers in that you're starting a family a lot sooner than most. I imagine you feel more of a sense of urgency. In other words, I'd jump on it whenever the opportunity presents itself. Put out some feelers and see what rapidpacersfan and pb777 have to say. Write to Mark Boyle and mention this place and his posting here. Instant ice-breaker. Pick his brain and see what he thinks. I can't imagine that he wouldn't write back.


    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At some point I may have to get over this fear of asking for a favor. Like the idea of asking one of those guys to do me a favor when I have never done anything with them (other than argue with them ) is very hard for me. But I guess thats what "connections" are.
    You and me both. I've never gotten over that hesitancy to ask for a favor. It's always painful, so just get used to it. And you watch, someday you might find yourself in a position to repay some of those favors. Like when Paul B is an aging out-of-work DJ and needs to change careers. I'm kidding, of course.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •