Thread: Pistons close to signing Maurice Evans.......

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pistons close to signing Maurice Evans.......

Pistons make offer to Sacramento player who would back up Prince Wednesday, August 24, 2005 By A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons have been one of the best NBA teams at finding top-flight talent at a bargain basement price. They may have found another gem in restricted free agent Maurice Evans, who will be offered a multiyear contract as early as today.

The Sacramento Kings, the team for which Evans played last season, will have seven days to match the offer that will start at about $1.5 million per season. The length of the contract has yet to be determined.

Acquiring Evans would address one of the Pistons' biggest offseason needs -- acquiring a backup for Tayshaun Prince.

Team officials said repeatedly following Detroit's runner-up finish to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA Finals that finding a suitable backup for Prince a key part of the offseason.

There was a noticeable decline in Prince's play during the playoffs at times, something team officials believe was caused by him logging too many minutes.

Detroit didn't address the need during the NBA draft. Instead, they drafted a pair of power forwards (Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson) and a point guard (Alex Acker).

The Pistons didn't address it earlier this week when they reached a two-year, $7 million deal with veteran center Dale Davis, a deal that took them out of the running for small forward Michael Finley.

While Evans isn't all that familiar with the Pistons roster, he does know Detroit's new head coach, Flip Saunders. Evans, undrafted when he left the University of Texas in 2001, spent his rookie season with the Saunders in Minnesota. He appeared in just 10 games for the Timberwolves. After that, Evans took his game to Europe, where he dominated the competition.

The Kings recognized his ability, and brought him back to the NBA last season, when he averaged 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds while shooting 44.2 percent from the field and 32.9 percent from 3-point range. He made 11 starts for the Kings, including one against the Pistons on March 6. In that game, Evans had 12 points and nine rebounds in helping the Kings to a 100-85 win.

Even more significant was during his 37 minutes against Detroit that night, the 6-foot-5, 220-pound Evans more than held his own defensively against 6-7 Richard Hamilton and the 6-9 Prince, who each struggled offensively in the game.

If the Kings do not match the offer for Evans, Detroit will have the NBA-maximum 15 players with guaranteed contracts. Acker, the last player selected in June's NBA draft, signed a one-year deal with the Pistons but it would only become guaranteed if he were on the roster in January.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Pistons close to signing Maurice Evans.......

If Sacramento doesn't match this, then Joe obviously knows something the rest of us don't Evans is a quality player.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

If Sacramento doesn't match this, it doesn't mean much of anything.

How would a 6'5'' guard spot Tayshaun? He seems rather undersized for a SF.

Could be a good pickup, could be another Carlos Arroyo.

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Snart
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Sacramento doesn't match this, it doesn't mean much of anything.

How would a 6'5'' guard spot Tayshaun? He seems rather undersized for a SF.

Could be a good pickup, could be another Carlos Arroyo.
    He's definately big and strong enough to play backup SF. I'm not concerned about that.

I still think Joe isn't done making moves, though. Evans is an ok scorer, but he makes his money as a defender, finisher and rebounder. We could still use one guy besides dice that can drop 20 off the bench. I like Evans as a backup to Prince, but he's not that kind of go-to guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    He's definately big and strong enough to play backup SF. I'm not concerned about that.

I still think Joe isn't done making moves, though. Evans is an ok scorer, but he makes his money as a defender, finisher and rebounder. We could still use one guy besides dice that can drop 20 off the bench. I like Evans as a backup to Prince, but he's not that kind of go-to guy.
    But what's he moving for? If you sign Evans, how much money does that leave?

If he does a trade, I would think it would have to involve one of the starting 5, or Mcdyess/Hunter, because no one else played enough to have much of a perceived value.

And if Evans is signed, and all of the roster spots are filled, doesn't that nix the Sheed to Chicago trade for Chandler and Nocioni? Doesn't it also nix Sprewell (unless you do a 2 for 1 trade and he's willing to take a lot less money).

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

But what's he moving for? If you sign Evans, how much money does that leave?

If he does a trade, I would think it would have to involve one of the starting 5, or Mcdyess/Hunter, because no one else played enough to have much of a perceived value.

And if Evans is signed, and all of the roster spots are filled, doesn't that nix the Sheed to Chicago trade for Chandler and Nocioni? Doesn't it also nix Sprewell (unless you do a 2 for 1 trade and he's willing to take a lot less money).
    I said yesterday I didn't think the Chandler deal didn't have any chance of happening. The deal helps Chicago too much, even though it helps us too.

The Sprewell deal is officially dead the second Evans signs the contract. Evans is no SPrewell, which is both a bad and a good thing.

As for a trade, we could offer Delfino, Arroyo and Darko, all of which have some value, Darko expecially.

As for a trade, we could offer Delfino, Arroyo and Darko, all of which have some value, Darko expecially.
    I don't see what value Darko has. Whoever traded for him would likely become the laughingstock of the league.

All three could be moved and I don't think it would affect your team very much, but I think the real question is what you think you could get in return. Can you get a quality backup(s), or in the end would you just end up replacing them with a player(s) of similar caliber?

I don't see what value Darko has. Whoever traded for him would likely become the laughingstock of the league.
    Atlanta already offered AL Harrington for him and got turned down.

Darko has a lot more value among NBA GMs than he does with fans....

Of course this includes Dumars, which is why I don't see him going. The more likely candidate is Delfino.

As for what we're looking at or getting in return, that's Joe's department. Every deal he makes comes out of left field.

Atlanta already offered AL Harrington for him and got turned down.
    I think we can all agree that Atlanta isn't known for making the shrewdest moves in the market. I'm surprised Joe didn't snap their hand off.

Why wouldn't Sacto match?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Why wouldn't Sacto match?
    From the Sacramento Bee:

"The Kings have continued to speak about re-signing their own restricted free agents, forward Darius Songaila and swingman Maurice Evans. However, because the Kings will have the right to match offers to those players, they likely will wait to see what offers those players can bring back. The Kings can match any offer to Songaila up to approximately $5 million without using their midlevel exception. Any offer Evans receives exceeding the approximately $860,000 qualifying offer the Kings extended would require usage of that exception."

They apparently cannot re-sign Evans without using their OWN MLE, which they already spent on Rahim.

The new CBA is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    The new CBA is weird.
    Indeed. I'm more thankful than ever the Nets decided to nix the rahim deal....

...so we signed Dale for 3.5 and Evans for 1.5..... am I the only one that think their salaries should be reversed?

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's a nice pick up for you guys Kstat. Evans played well when he got playing time, and I think the Pistons realized they couldn't get Spree for the remaning MLE.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInAZ
    That's a nice pick up for you guys Kstat. Evans played well when he got playing time, and I think the Pistons realized they couldn't get Spree for the remaning MLE.
    Or maybe they had the same worries about his attitude that I had.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Spree still feels that he can get the full MLE for some reason, and the Pistons sure as hell weren't offering that.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

*YAWN*

sc

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInAZ
    Spree's Agent felt that the MLE was not enough to feed his family so they wanted more than that.

:yawn:

Sac won't match because they've still got Martin and Garcia.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    :yawn:

Sac won't match because they've still got Martin and Garcia.
    .....and because they can't.

.....and because they can't.
    Excuse me, I should have been more clear.

Even if Sacramento could re-sign Evans, there's no need, since they still have Martin and Garcia.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Evans is decent.

I hope this is Joe's big move of the summer.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

BabbleOn

So let's see here:

Detroit loses Larry Brown, Elden Campbell, Horace Jenkins and possibly Darvin Ham and/or Ronald Dupree.

Detroit adds Flip Saunders, Dale Davis, Mo' Evans (pending), Jason Maxiell, and 2 secound round picks.

Other than the coaching change, it's been a series of subtle adjustments. I'm actually pretty pleased with what's been done - I like that the boat hasn't been rocked too much. These guys all seem like they have "Piston DNA."

I still can't stand the idea of DD in a Piston Uni. That's gonna be real hard to stomach this coming season.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.