Thread: Yet another question......

Default Yet another question......

Ok people for this one I want us all to take off our blue & gold colored glasses & look at this as NBA fans.

Are you happy with the new NBA tv contract?

In other words ESPN, TNT getting a LOT of games & ABC playing about 20 games a year plus the playoffs?

Forget the whole "Indiana isn't on TV so I think it sucks" thought for this. This is just simply about whether or not you think the tv contract works & why.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Yet another question......

I'm generally happy with TNT. Love the people who do it, both at the games and in studio. Most of the time they show some good games.

ESPN is very hit and miss. I like that they can show a lot of games, so I appreciate that as someone without LP. ABC is pathetic compared to NBC. Not nearly enough games, and they try to sound as serious as NBC and they fail at it. I just don't think highly of ABC's games at all, even though it's some of the same guys from ESPN (who are only average anyway).

If TNT was twice a week, and NBC still did the others, plus ESPN just for filling in the gaps with lots of Wed/Fri games, I'd be happy.

Southside_Pacer

I miss the NBA on NBC theme song. Hearing it always made a game seem bigger than what it really was sometimes.

TNT's coverage =
    ESPN's coverage =
    ABC's coverage =

I miss the NBA on NBC theme song. Hearing it always made a game seem bigger than what it really was sometimes.
    Yes the theme song followed by marv albert "Welcome to Market Square Arena in..."

that just spells 90's playoff basketball

Yes the theme song followed by marv albert "Welcome to Market Square Arena in..."

that just spells 90's playoff basketball
    I believe if you do some checking you'll see that theme song was written by none other than John Tesh!

That's enough trivia for today

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Ok people for this one I want us all to take off our blue & gold colored glasses & look at this as NBA fans.

Are you happy with the new NBA tv contract?

In other words ESPN, TNT getting a LOT of games & ABC playing about 20 games a year plus the playoffs?

Forget the whole "Indiana isn't on TV so I think it sucks" thought for this. This is just simply about whether or not you think the tv contract works & why.
    I don't like the fact that the NBA goes dark on TV when ABC is showing a game.

I also don't think ABC does as well as NBC did. TNT is fine by me. ESPN... I expect a bit less (than a major network) though I don't know why. They should be as good as TNT... IMHO... but it doesn't strike me as 'off' the way a network telecast that doesn't reach the bar does. And I think ABC just misses the mark. Don't ask me to put my finger on who or why that is.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I could write a book on this.

I miss Hubie Brown, he is my all time favorite, that is no one fault and I am happy for him he is doing so well. I always say I learned more about NBA basketball from Hubie than from anyone. NBA TV ran about a 12 minute interview with Hubie and Jerry West a week ago or so, they were talking about the Grizzlies but really more about what it takes to be a championship team. I got chills watching that.

Overall I agree with what others are saying, TNT good, ESPN OK, and ABC bad.

One interesting note, Mike Pearl who was the man who was in charge of TNT sports for the past 6 or 7 years, left after last season and is now in charge at ABC sports and his primary job was to improve ABC's coverage. They have done some good things. Hiring Doc Rivers, good. Signing AL Michaels lends credibility but I am not convinced he knows the NBA or is good at doing basketball, we'll see in the playoffs.

Like to say more,

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who remembers the awful days of CBS?

You could watch any of the three teams in the league: Boston, Philly and the Lakers. : Thank goodness the league expanded in the late eighties with that new Detroit franchise.

And you had to listen to Brett Musberger teamed with idiots like Tom Hiensohn.

Oh, and Pat O'Brien "At the Half" made Ahmad Rashad seem bearable.

NBC was such a huge improvement over CBS that the bar was raised to unbelievable heights. Sunday triple-headers meant the league had to expand beyond four teams (although the two new teams were the Knicks and Bulls.) Great announcers who were primarily basketball announcers - Marv (voice of the Knicks), Bob Costas (voice of the ABA's Spirits of St. Louis), The Tom Hammonds/ Snapper Jones/ Bill Walton team was very good, The Czar, Pat Riley on 'Showtime', etc. And along with Costas, NBC had several other announcers with a pro-ABA bias (Hannah Storm - Mike Storen's daughter, Vecsey, Snapper) so the smaller-market and ex-ABA teams got more respect.

TNT/TBS also was reaching new heights - a national TV game three nights per week with Dick and Hubie, Vern Lundquist and Doc Rivers, etc.

ABC/ESPN has taken it several steps backwards. But its still superior to the dark-days of CBS. Can you imagine CBS ever showing the small-market Spurs, Kings and Mavs? I can hear it now:

Brett, "What is the key today for the Spurs?"
    Tom, "Who?"
    Brett, "Never mind. What do the [size=9:3025ad2bac]below-0.500 [/size]Celtics have to do to dismantle this [size=9:3025ad2bac]vastly-inferior but somehow defending chamption [/size] Spurs team?".

ABC/ESPN took the worst of NBC's announcers: Ahmad (he made his name in another sport, let him talk about football all he wants but get him off my tv please), @$$hole Jim Gray, Tom Tolbert, etc.

When you watch a game on ESPN, you don't feel they put any more effort into it than a regular Tuesday night Missouri/Texas Big 12 matchup. At NBC and TNT, the NBA was placed on the highest pedestal, but not at ESPN/ABC.

But since NBC was losing money hand-over-fist on the NBA, they were only going to make a bid that would restore profitability. The league chose to sacrifice quantity and quality by taking the highest dollar amount. The worst thing is that its a six-year deal so there's still four more years of this.

Oh, and you can hear John Tesh's theme music on NBA-TV when they have a nationally-televised game.

Its really dorky but every time I hear that music I think of that day back in 1994 or 1995 when President Clinton was in Indy, and it was "Poll Day" out at the track (and I believe that was before the IRL/CART divorce) but the biggest event was a Pacers playoff game in MSA.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you