Thread: FSMW or ESPN?

Default FSMW or ESPN?

Hmmm... it seems that the basic cable crowd has two options for game-watching tonight... almost made a poll out of this but it's such a trivial topic that it's probably not worth it.

Still, I'm curious for some opinions... is the ESPN coverage good enough to warrant watching their feed, or should I stick with the locals on Fox (which I've done so far this year)?....

I'm leaning toward watching the ESPN coverage at this point, just to see what the national perspective is on the P's at this point...

Sports Logo

Default Re: FSMW or ESPN?

If it is on ESPN they will block the fox sports net feed I think. I could be wrong but I think thats what happens on the satelite.

Mood

If it is on ESPN they will block the fox sports net feed I think. I could be wrong but I think thats what happens on the satelite.
    Doesn't happen on my cable. I get to choose.

I'll watch ESPN. It's a different flavor for a change, and it's interesting to hear what the national guys have to say about us.

I thought it was the other way around? Usually on nationally televised games they block ESPN/ABC/TNT and show it on the local channels
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The game was on both for me and I live here in Indy. The only games that get blacked out are the Pacer games that are on NBA-TV. That is no loss because NBA-TV games just have the FSN announcers with cut scenes to the NBA-TV studios for end of quarters and halftime.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I tend to abstain from ESPN...for two reasons:

1) They are not biased and tend to reveal all the good and the bad about each team, including the Pacers...They also tend to hype everything up when it really isn't that spectacular.

2) Bill Walton

Well.. I had to miss almost all of the 1st half. Settled back and watched the 3rd qtr and then it hit me.... ESPN... hmmmm ESPNHD!!!
    Grrrrrrrrrrr The game was on in HD and I was watching the regular channel on my HDTV!!! So I got it switched over for the end of the 3rd and all of the 4th for the Pacers in High Definition!

I gotta learn to check the HD schedule more closely!!!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Well.. I had to miss almost all of the 1st half. Settled back and watched the 3rd qtr and then it hit me.... ESPN... hmmmm ESPNHD!!!
    Grrrrrrrrrrr The game was on in HD and I was watching the regular channel on my HDTV!!! So I got it switched over for the end of the 3rd and all of the 4th for the Pacers in High Definition!

-Bball
    Well, how was seeing the Pacers in HD TV?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else...

Bill Walton declared the low number of Pacers games on national tv this season to be the biggest travesty in the history of ESPN.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Paraphrasing Bill Walton from last night:

"Well, now that the HDTV broadcasts look so good, does that mean that the refs will never miss a call again?"

:P

-Bball
    Well, how was seeing the Pacers in HD TV?
    It looked good. Not as good as NBA HD games that I saw last year but still very good. The wider screen makes for seeing more on court action and seeing things develop. You can see the PG at the top of the key as the playes fight for postion along the baseline.

FWIW: ABC and ESPN use 720p while CBS, NBC and most other HD broadcasters use 1080i. 1080i is sharper BUT due to technology limitations (and sometimes BAD decisions in the broadcast/production chain) can sometimes macroblock on fast motion and deep colors. 720p seems more stable but at the loss of some sharpness... but it is still way more sharp than your average game on regular TV.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden