Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Released as Amnesty Player

Default Reggie Released as Amnesty Player

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/reggi...ed_050815.html

Reggie Released as Amnesty Player

Pacers News Release | Indianapolis, Aug. 25, 2005
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miller
    The Indiana Pacers announced Monday they have waived guard Reggie Miller as part of the NBA’s new amnesty provision.
    Miller, the Pacers’ all-time leading scorer who played with the team his entire 18-year career, announced last season that he would end his playing career at the conclusion of the 2005 NBA Playoffs. He had one year remaining on his contract.

“In my conversations with Reggie, it is clear he will not play next year and therefore to take advantage of the amnesty rule, we designated Reggie as our amnesty player,” said Pacers CEO and President Donnie Walsh. “I’ve spoken with Reggie and he is fine with it. This will go down as his final assist.”

Monday was the deadline for the NBA’s amnesty clause, where a team can release a player to reduce or eliminate their exposure to the luxury tax penalty. Under the clause, a player can not return to that team until their contract expires.
    -----------

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../50815004/1088

Pacers waive Miller to save on luxury tax

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

The Indiana Pacers made it official on today: they have waived Reggie Miller.

The 18-year veteran was released as part of the NBA’s amnesty provision that allows teams to release a player and not pay the luxury tax penalty associated with his contract.

The Pacers will save $6 million as a result, but will still pay Miller’s salary.

As strange as it might sound for the Pacers to waive their all-time leading scorer and most popular player, it’s a meaningless move from a practical standpoint. Miller has retired, and has no intention of playing again.

“In my conversations with Reggie, it is clear he will not play next year and therefore to take advantage of the amnesty rule we designated Reggie as our amnesty player,” Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said in a released statement. “I’ve spoken with Reggie and he is fine with it. This will go down as his last assist.”

The move guarantees that Miller will not play for the Pacers next season. The rules of the amnesty provision state that a player cannot return to the team that waived him until after the contract expired.
    ---------------------

"This will go down as his final assist.” I like that statement, and it was expected by some of us. Just Reggie being Reggie!

Default Re: Reggie Released as Amnesty Player

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/reggi...ed_050815.html

Reggie Released as Amnesty Player

Pacers News Release | Indianapolis, Aug. 25, 2005
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miller
    The Indiana Pacers announced Monday they have waived guard Reggie Miller as part of the NBA’s new amnesty provision.
    Miller, the Pacers’ all-time leading scorer who played with the team his entire 18-year career, announced last season that he would end his playing career at the conclusion of the 2005 NBA Playoffs. He had one year remaining on his contract.

“In my conversations with Reggie, it is clear he will not play next year and therefore to take advantage of the amnesty rule, we designated Reggie as our amnesty player,” said Pacers CEO and President Donnie Walsh. “I’ve spoken with Reggie and he is fine with it. This will go down as his final assist.”

Monday was the deadline for the NBA’s amnesty clause, where a team can release a player to reduce or eliminate their exposure to the luxury tax penalty. Under the clause, a player can not return to that team until their contract expires.

Wow even though I saw it coming , for it to be official, That is somewhat sad, An official end of an ERA. Thanks Reggie...

Why Not Us ?

Montieth was correct in his assumptions. So the new Bunny is BBall. (BunnyBall)

foretaz

another brilliant move by the front office....

we save about as much money as is possible this year....and we dont lose anything....

and probably just as important, we dont have to entertain reggie comeback stories.....

he went out perfectly....

It wasn't about him coming back for me mostly, it was about giving respect to a legend, and I think that leaving him on would have shown more appreciation.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, Bball, this ISN'T a joke....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz

we save about as much money as is possible this year....and we dont lose anything....

and probably just as important, we dont have to entertain reggie comeback stories.....

he went out perfectly....
    Yes.. Reserve your tickets now for his retirement ceremony, whenver that is,
    You can believe I will be there.

Why Not Us ?

Zesty

I don't think that's the case at all. This way he gets to feel like he's helping the franchise even though he's not around anymore.

foretaz

wonder if the 6.5 million we dont have to pay in lux tax will be the 'revenue' required to re-sign dale....

Wow... talk about the Pacers turning unpredictable this summer. I know some of you will say this move makes all kinds of sense and I can see where that is coming from but it's not the type of thing I expected (it's not very 'Pacerlike' IMHO).

Financially, it didn't save the most money possible and it ended in glimmer of possibility of a Reggie return in any circumstances.

Could it be someone in the front office didn't want the possibility of Reggie the Deferrer returning?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan23
    Yes.. Reserve your tickets now for his retirement ceremony, whenver that is,
    You can believe I will be there.

Are you thinking that his ceremony might be during the Knicks game?
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Wow... talk about the Pacers turning unpredictable this summer. I know some of you will say this move makes all kinds of sense and I can see where that is coming from but it's not the type of thing I expected (it's not very 'Pacerlike' IMHO).

Financially, it didn't save the most money possible and it ended in glimmer of possibility of a Reggie return in any circumstances.

Could it be someone in the front office didn't want the possibility of Reggie the Deferrer returning?

-Bball
    I can see right now. Donnie with a box of Puffs Plus, slumped over his Chair as Bird is patting him on the back.. There, There.. Donnie

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    Are you thinking that his ceremony might be during the Knicks game?
    That really was my first thought. I think I may have said this before but.
    You could have Isaiah and Larry there as well as Bird all former Coaches.
    I think that would be fitting.

Why Not Us ?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The final blow to my heart.........
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

foretaz

-Bball
    or could it be that the front office realizes there is absolutely zero possibility of him returning.....remember....the entire front office would like him back....

not pacerlike? hmmmm....theyre paying him for his final year, though hes not playing....they throw him a royal shindig for his final regular season game last year and probably have one helluva party for him when they retire his jersey...

as far as the money goes....at most the pacers might have saved another 1.5 million by letting cro go after they pay his replacement....given the fact they can trade him or keep him versus paying him to play for someone else and have to face him, well the choice is pretty simple....(no matter how much i wouldve loved to see cro go)

and most of all...its time for this team to move on....and much like it was hard for some of them to assume total leadership over the team, the thought of him returning couldve very well haunted them to a degree as well.....this closes the book...nice and neat....no questions....the reggie crutch is officially gone....and he prepared them quite nicely to walk on their own....its time to see it....

it should be quite a show...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    The final blow to my heart.........
    Yes, its a melancholy type of situation. And end of an Era.

Why Not Us ?

Who is going to start the "Reggie is coming back for 2006-2007 season" rumor?

This is great, better then cutting Cro or JB we need them to play the back up 4 in case Dale doesnt resign.

On the Brightside, this does make his retirement official.
    Which now means one less year to wait for his Hall of Fame induction.

Why Not Us ?

.....remember....the entire front office would like him back....
    Apparently not. Regardless of what Reggie said there is always the chance of him changing his mind due to circumstances that nobody could foresee at some point in the upcoming season. That chance is now gone. Waiving him doesn't sound to me like the entire front office wanted him back... at least not as much as you would imply.

as far as the money goes....at most the pacers might have saved another 1.5 million by letting cro go after they pay his replacement....given the fact they can trade him or keep him versus paying him to play for someone else and have to face him, well the choice is pretty simple....(no matter how much i wouldve loved to see cro go)
    Bender and Croshere were 2 year contracts so there was more money to save besides just this year.

and most of all...its time for this team to move on....and much like it was hard for some of them to assume total leadership over the team, the thought of him returning couldve very well haunted them to a degree as well.....this closes the book...nice and neat....no questions....the reggie crutch is officially gone....and he prepared them quite nicely to walk on their own....its time to see it....
    I won't disagree with that but that was never the angle I was looking at this from.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

foretaz

Apparently not. Regardless of what Reggie said there is always the chance of him changing his mind due to circumstances that nobody could foresee at some point in the upcoming season. That chance is now gone. Waiving him doesn't sound to me like the entire front office wanted him back... at least not as much as you would imply.

Bender and Croshere were 2 year contracts so there was more money to save besides just this year.

I won't disagree with that but that was never the angle I was looking at this from.

-Bball
    reggie wasnt gonna play again....reggie is a man of his word...reggie talks the talk but most importantly he walks the walk...he went out in storybook fashion.....if things wouldnt have worked out the way they did, then who knows, maybe he wouldve reconsidered.....but he would never get another chance to go out the way he did....hes gone....some might be in a state of denial....but its done...this just helps the denial go away and not hang around all year....if donnie thought there was even the slightest chance, then reggie wouldnt have been waived....and we all know that...

would u have preferred we not waive him then trade his contract to another team, like is commonly done? this is far and away a better situation.....it just cost the pacers 6.5 million instead of 13 million to pay reggie in his final year when hes not playing....

as far as the savings go....i dont think some of us understand how this will work....the luxury tax is calculated on ur season ending salary....which really means this coming season is the real problem....

the pacers have basically two seasons to get rid of cro and benders contract if they want....they have two seasons to get to the luxury tax threshhold....which given the fact they have pollard expiring as well as f. jones and then u have the fact that it will be pretty easy to get rid of cro or bender in the final year of their deals, it really is the most sensible thing to do.....

no matter how remote u think it might be that bender and/or cro might help this team win a title this coming year, one thing is for sure....they are more likely to help than reggie....and like i said...they only wouldve saved 1.5 mill at the most this year if they waived cro...bender wouldve been a wash....

If they were brilliant, they wouldn't have paid Reggie's final year in the first place, negating the need to amnesty him. Unless you think it was worth 6 million dollars to convince fans he really isn't coming back.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    If they were brilliant, they wouldn't have paid Reggie's final year in the first place, negating the need to amnesty him. Unless you think it was worth 6 million dollars to convince fans he really isn't coming back.
    As much as he has done for this Organization, the Pacers owed him that much.
    I am sure when this deal was done, it was a wink and nod, knowing he was not going to fulfill his contract most likely. This was no accounting error by any stretch of the imagination.

Why Not Us ?

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    cmon...we both know his deal was one to help the pacers with the cap.....unless other provisions are made at the time of the contract, the contract will be paid fully....

reggie got 18 million to play his last two years here....theres no other way to look at it...

suggesting u try to wiggle out of something u agreed to, the most important player in franchise history....well....that would be very unpacerlike

why do i think this has nothing to do with reggies contract and everything to do with ticket prices....

Chambizzle

Maybe this is a sign that Croshere could be involved in other "matters".