View Poll Results: Which team is the biggest obstacle to the Pacers making the Finals?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Detroit Pistons

27 36.00%
  • Miami Heat

36 48.00%
  • Atlanta Hawks

9 12.00%
  • Other (please specify)

3 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which East team do you consider the Pacers' biggest threat?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Which East team do you consider the Pacers' biggest threat?

I'm going to say Miami. I think the Pistons are just weak enough now that we'll finally get by them, barring major injuries/suspensions, of course.

Default Re: Which East team do you consider the Pacers' biggest threat?

Detroit's our New England. The way the playoffs are structured, unless Miami gets the top seed, we'll have to beat Detroit in the second round before we can worry about Miami.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

foretaz

sorry...but i disagree that detroit is our new england....

weve beaten them repeatedly during the regular season....

theyve only succeeded in the playoffs after key injuries/suspensions....

i dont see any similarity between them and new england....

detroit has been nothing but lucky the last two postseasons....

id hardly call new englands success lucky when it comes to their dominance over the colts....

detroit has been anything but dominating when it comes to the pacers...

whens the last time the colts won in new england??

the pacers have won in detroit continuously...

detroit will be merely a bump in the road this coming season....

miami will be the biggest test....

I voted Miami. If the Nets would have gotten Sheerf I would have put them above Detroit too.

I voted for Atlanta... because its funny...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Atlanta . Is that supposed to be a joke (I assume it is). I think the Heat will be our biggest obstical.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Im still voting for Detroit until I see otherwise during the play-offs. I know, I know the Heat seemed to have gotten a lot tougher and the Pistons lost Brown, but I don't think Dumars is going to let this summer be as it is either, he's going to make moves and just like Walsh, he has also made a lot of good moves so far during his tenure at the helm of the Pistons.

Also, I think the Pistons are a VERY good play-offs team, though I do for a large part aggree with Foretaz that we were quite unfortunate against them the last two years, we still have to get that monkey off our back and dump them in the play-offs.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I don't think that Detriot will be as big a threat as they have been in past years.

I rather see for myself first, before I jump to that conclusion. Yes, I too think they won't be as strong as they were last season. Atleast not how their team looks now, but Dumars is also one helluv a GM, he will get reinforcements for Flip.

Regards,

Mourning

sweabs

I think that the Hawks are our biggest obstacle because they are hawks, and hawks can soar into the air and do cool tricks and that will scare the rest of the East, and they have red uniforms which is proven to be a winning colour, and the hawk is a fierce predator and will intimidate all the other teams and they will own everyone - and they can peck people and we all know peck is the MVP.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that the Hawks are our biggest obstacle because they are hawks, and hawks can soar into the air and do cool tricks and that will scare the rest of the East, and they have red uniforms which is proven to be a winning colour, and the hawk is a fierce predator and will intimidate all the other teams and they will own everyone - and they can peck people and we all know peck is the MVP.
    i think rcarey has ventured to the liquor cabinet and started the weekend off a bit early...

I guess this is the sort of stuff why Americans make silly jokes about Canadians?

Regards,

Mourning

I think that if we have to play both of them to reach the finals then we probably won't. But if we can get the #1 or #2 seed and we won't have to play either until the ECF then we have a much greater chance. Either one is a a huge obstacle, but we can overcome one of them, but not both.

We have to play both if we get first seed. The Only way to avoid one till the COn Finals is by getting 2 or 3 seed. I have to say Detroit. I no longer belive in Shaq.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I picked Detroit because they are bringing back the same team with few changes. I know Miami has added some talent, but I want to see how well they mesh before I put them at #1.

I voted Miami, but after a quick rethink would like to change my vote to 'Other' and say the Indiana Pacers

Miami until proven that they can't work together

Chicago Bulls
    They are going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    sorry...but i disagree that detroit is our new england....

weve beaten them repeatedly during the regular season....

theyve only succeeded in the playoffs after key injuries/suspensions....

i dont see any similarity between them and new england....

detroit has been nothing but lucky the last two postseasons....

id hardly call new englands success lucky when it comes to their dominance over the colts....

detroit has been anything but dominating when it comes to the pacers...

whens the last time the colts won in new england??

the pacers have won in detroit continuously...

detroit will be merely a bump in the road this coming season....

miami will be the biggest test....
    We're 3-1 against Detroit at the Palace for the 03-04 and 04-05 regular season games played there.

We won 1 and lost 2 there in the 04 playoffs . We also won 1 and lost 2 there in the 2005 playoffs.

So we've won 5 games at the Palace, and lost 5 from 03-04 to 04-05, counting playoffs.

We're 2-2 against Detroit at the Fieldhouse in 03-04 and 04-05(both of our wins came in 03-04, and both of theirs came last year).

In the 04 playoffs, they took 1/3 here, and in the 05 playoffs, they took 1/3 here.

Same case as in Detroit. At home, we've won 4 against them and lost 6 over the past 2 years, counting playoffs.

So I guess they've owned us at home lately. They've won 6 out of 10 here, that's a majority.

But hey, I know to you that the precious November 19 game proved the Pacers were a better team than Detroit right? November is the most meaningless month in the NBA. You don't prove anything in November. We've shown that we can beat them in Detroit in the regular season, that doesn't mean we can beat them 4 out of 7 times. It's embarassing that they won 2 out of 3 on our homecourt in the 2004 playoffs

It's all about the playoffs. Detroit has eliminated us from the playoffs for 2 straight years(just like NE has the Colts). They ARE our New England. The Pacers and Colts may have a better looking team on paper than the Pistons and Pats, but the Pistons and Pats get the job done.

I get so sick of hearing the injuries excuse. Injuries are a part of the game. Part of being a great team is being durable. Its not Detroit fault that JO was injured again. It's not Detroit's fault that Tinsley was gimpy again. Why will I not be suprised if fans are singing the same sad tune of "if only JO and Tinsley had been healthy" next season?

Do you have to be a pessimist. The Colts were healthy and the Patriots weren't and won. The pacers were the ones injured and suspended. Totally different situation.

Not to mention, that the November 19th game proved one thing. The Pistons defense can not stop Artest and O'neal, if we have credible guard offfensive ability. THey tried they tried hard. And Failed.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    We're 3-1 against Detroit at the Palace for the 03-04 and 04-05 regular season games played there.

We won 1 and lost 2 there in the 04 playoffs . We also won 1 and lost 2 there in the 2005 playoffs.

So we've won 5 games at the Palace, and lost 5 from 03-04 to 04-05, counting playoffs.

We're 2-2 against Detroit at the Fieldhouse in 03-04 and 04-05(both of our wins came in 03-04, and both of theirs came last year).

In the 04 playoffs, they took 1/3 here, and in the 05 playoffs, they took 1/3 here.

Same case as in Detroit. At home, we've won 4 against them and lost 6 over the past 2 years, counting playoffs.

So I guess they've owned us at home lately. They've won 6 out of 10 here, that's a majority.

But hey, I know to you that the precious November 19 game proved the Pacers were a better team than Detroit right? November is the most meaningless month in the NBA. You don't prove anything in November. We've shown that we can beat them in Detroit in the regular season, that doesn't mean we can beat them 4 out of 7 times. It's embarassing that they won 2 out of 3 on our homecourt in the 2004 playoffs

It's all about the playoffs. Detroit has eliminated us from the playoffs for 2 straight years(just like NE has the Colts). They ARE our New England. The Pacers and Colts may have a better looking team on paper than the Pistons and Pats, but the Pistons and Pats get the job done.

I get so sick of hearing the injuries excuse. Injuries are a part of the game. Part of being a great team is being durable. Its not Detroit fault that JO was injured again. It's not Detroit's fault that Tinsley was gimpy again. Why will I not be suprised if fans are singing the same sad tune of "if only JO and Tinsley had been healthy" next season?
    dude.....seriously....get a grip....its becoming painfully obvious uve got ur eyes set on the most argumentative poster award....

who said anything about it being detroits fault?????

and ur getting sick of injuries getting used as an excuse????

well let me tell u what im getting sick of....

ur defending detroit because u wanna win some silly message board award....if ur a fan of this team, how bout acting like it a bit more often.....frankly, i can tell very little difference between u and kstat.....u rarely have anything good to say about ur supposed beloved team....and that, my friend, is a bit disturbing....

ill tell u what else im sick of....this garbage about games being meaningless....whether it be in november or april....its bs....flat out bs....if there has ever been a so-called excuse for losing, that takes the cake....if u watched the november game and the pregame, u know it was meaningless to noone....it only became meaningless to detroit after they lost...and funny that a game that had so much bearing on determining the outcome of the nba season is meaningless...

the regular season is anything but meaningless...if for no other reason it determines home court....and if u dont think that home court plays a role in the playoffs, then ur sadly mistaken....wonder how many detroit fans think they wouldve lost if they had home court in the finals???? wonder how many pacer fans felt like we might have won the 2000 finals if we had home court ????...home court matters....the regular season matters....

and injuries matter....theyre not an excuse....theyre a fact...its no different than having a less talented team....because thats what u become when u are injured or suspended....less talented....

two seasons ago the the pistons and the pacers split the series for the year....5 games to 5....and yes, the main reason they split was because two of the pacers starters went down late in the playoffs....or the outcome is most likely different....u dont think if detroit lost two of their starters, the outcome wouldve been different???? if not, u or anyone else that believes such mumbo jumbo is, well,....u figure it out....and please dont give me some mumbo jumbe durability bs.....its luck...period...if u come down on someones foot and twist ur ankle, it has nothing to do with durability.....if someone hits ur knee causing it to go 180 degrees the wrong way, it has nothing to do with ur durability....if ur jermaine oneal and u knee shaq in the thigh, it has nothing to do with durability...seriously, get a clue....

this past season the two teams split the season series and detroit won 4-2 in the playoffs....against what????? an injury/suspension decimated team....well hallefriggenlujah....do me a favor and please check the rosters for the two games that the pistons won in conseco....thank u....no more need be said....its no different than if some of these players were traded for future draft choices....if u dont have them on ur roster, ur not as good...period...is it the pistons fault??? hardly....does it make the pistons a better team??? hardly...

lemme tell u what else im sick of.....people not seeing the obvious....detroit has done nothing to prove theyre so great, unlike new england....detroit hasnt dominated in the regular season, unlike new england....detroit hasnt played against top notch talent in the playoffs and still beat them....

detroit has played above average during the regular season, with above average talent.....they have then coasted thru playoff series after playoff series because the other team was missing key players...in 2004, the nets, the pacers, and the lakers....in 2005, the pacers and the heat....when they finally played a team at full strength, what happened?????? they lost....

detroit was a top 10 team in this league that had one of the very best coaches in the league....and then was the beneficiary of some timely injuries to key players of the opposition....is that their fault??? no...not at all....does that make them opportunistic as hell??? absolutely, and u would expect nothing less from such a great coached team....does that make them great??? not even close.....

larry will have a reason for losing this coming year.....lack of talent....and one of the main reasons larry left, like it or not, is because he knew the pistons luck had run out.....

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Miami. They are going to snag the top stop in the conference and won't have the injury meltdown they had in the playoffs last year. How many teams can get to a game 7 in a Conference Championship with their best TWO players injured. And STILL almost win.

I voted "other" because I feel like the team that threatens the Pacers the most is none other than....the Pacers. If this team is able to stay healthy, stay together, and play hard every game, with no distractions, then I don't see a team in the league that can beat us. We are the team to beat, but I say that with an *