Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis' Agent "I don't think we are close"

Default Davis' Agent "I don't think we are close"

From Espn wire service

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nba&id=2130978

This is from a Sarunas article about the signing near the bottom.

"I don't think we're close. It's going to be determined if they can do something to create more revenue," Davis' agent, Chubby Wells, said.

Looks like DD is not coming back, nothing we all didn't already know.

Default Re: Davis' Agent "I don't think we are close"

That's strange. The Pacers are seeing if they can create more revenue? What if they sell a certain number of season tix

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's strange. The Pacers are seeing if they can create more revenue? What if they sell a certain number of season tix
    I think Chubby is referring to the Pacers creating more revenue for Dale.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Also of interest Chubby Wells keeps saying they are waiting on a team looking to make a trade (ie: free up cap space).
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    If Dale doesn't re-sign it's clearly all on the shoulders of Kegboy and Grace.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It sounds like Dale really wants to stay in Indiana.

I asked this in another thread, but I'm still looking for an answer:

Can someone explain Chubby's quote to me? What do the Pacers have to do to create more REVENUE?!?

We've got 2-3 exceptions to offer him, all, roughly for the same amount, differing a bit on length from 1-4 years, I think.

So what are the Pacers able to do to improve what they can offer?!?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

One more thing: it's being reported that the 76ers made an offer to Steven Hunter, so maybe they're no longer in the hunt for Dale.

If / once Reggie is released under the amnesty clause, revenue will, in effect, be increased because costs will be decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by RSmits
    If / once Reggie is released under the amnesty clause, revenue will, in effect, be increased because costs will be decreased.
    Nah. blanket had it right. We can offer the 1.7 or so from the low level exception we have and that is is all we can do.

Selling every seat in the Fieldhouse or putting the amnesty tag on Reggie or Cro's contract changes nothing. Unfortunately.

Dale either takes what we can offer, or he plays somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    Nah. blanket had it right. We can offer the 1.7 or so from the low level exception we have and that is is all we can do.

Selling every seat in the Fieldhouse or putting the amnesty tag on Reggie or Cro's contract changes nothing. Unfortunately.

Dale either takes what we can offer, or he plays somewhere else.
    Yes I believe we can offer him the remainder of the MLE in conjunction with the 1.7 if I am not mistaken ? something around 2.7 mil

Why Not Us ?

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan23
    Yes I believe we can offer him the remainder of the MLE in conjunction with the 1.7 if I am not mistaken ? something around 2.7 mil
    no..u cannot combine exceptions....

dale can take the 1.7 for a max of two years...

or he can take the remaining part of the MLE for up to 4 years...

or he can sign for the vet min for up to 2 years....just a little over a million...

I wonder what team would be willing to sign Dale and then make an immediate trade to the Pacers for A.J.?

Maybe the Chubster can finally get Dale those commerical endorsements once he signs with his new bigger market squad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    I wonder what team would be willing to sign Dale and then make an immediate trade to the Pacers for A.J.?
    problem is, once dale signs he cant be traded til december...at the earliest...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    problem is, once dale signs he cant be traded til december...at the earliest...

I thought they could be traded in the first 24....no wait, that;s if they rec'd the guy via trade, THEN they could immediately trade him again. NERTZ!
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by fooddaman
    From Espn wire service

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nba&id=2130978

This is from a Sarunas article about the signing near the bottom.

"I don't think we're close. It's going to be determined if they can do something to create more revenue," Davis' agent, Chubby Wells, said.

Looks like DD is not coming back, nothing we all didn't already know.
    Create more revenue? Chubby has to know the Pacers situation. My guess is the Pacers have offered their $1.7 for two years, and Dale wants more years via the MLE. More years is the only thing I can think of to create more revenue for Dale.

Maybe they are waiting until after they sign Saras and he passes a physical before committing the rest of the MLE to Dale. That way they can give Dale more money the same way they did Reggie.

The only thing I can think of in terms of improving revenue in order to keep Dale is that perhaps the Pacers haven't offered him the most they can (the remainder of the MLE for 3-4 years) because they would need to cut payroll first in order for such a contract to not push them further into luxury tax land. Perhaps chubby is saying somrthing like, "If they can trade Pollard to a team under the cap for a future 2nd rounder, plus waive Reggie's contract, then they'll be able to justify offering Dale the max they have to offer -- and then maybe he'd consider signing with the Pacers..."

Maybe?

[EDIT: kind of like what Will Galen is saying...]

Couldn't we sign Dale to a 6 year, 10mm deal or something around there, starting at 1.6mm? Pull a Reggie with his contract?

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cox
    Couldn't we sign Dale to a 6 year, 10mm deal or something around there, starting at 1.6mm? Pull a Reggie with his contract?
    no....dale is 36...with that come special rules regarding contracts and what is a reasonable length and how they will affect the cap...

bottom line is this....

they can offer him 4 years...even though its highly unlikely he will play that long...anything longer and the cap hit will be higher the first few years...only worsening the luxury tax....

in other words, they know about this potential loophole and limit it...dont eliminate it, but limit it....

right now it appears the max the pacers could offer him is 4 years totalling about 6 million...

Either way this is killing me. I had already come to the conclusion that Dale was gone.

Now with all of the delay's & his agent constantly saying they are waiting on the Pacers to make a move to open up space I am starting to get a glimmering of hope.

For some reason I get the feeling that Dale actually is trying to let the Pacers make room for him.

Man that would be sweet.

I don't know if anything can be done or not, I know some keep postings absolutes about what is & is not allowed, but why do both Bird & Wells keep talking about trying to work things out to get more money for Dale?

Like I said, I had already given up hope but now my lack of faith is wavering.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    I think Chubby is referring to the Pacers creating more revenue for Dale.

Maybe he's not saying that.... Maybe it really is about simply having more in the bank before they take on any extra salary?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Either way this is killing me. I had already come to the conclusion that Dale was gone.

Now with all of the delay's & his agent constantly saying they are waiting on the Pacers to make a move to open up space I am starting to get a glimmering of hope.

For some reason I get the feeling that Dale actually is trying to let the Pacers make room for him.

Man that would be sweet.

I don't know if anything can be done or not, I know some keep postings absolutes about what is & is not allowed, but why do both Bird & Wells keep talking about trying to work things out to get more money for Dale?

Like I said, I had already given up hope but now my lack of faith is wavering.
    I think it's pretty simple, really. Dale's first preference is re-signing here, but he's gotten bigger offers elsewhere. He's giving the Pacers a chance to at least match, but the Pacers want to wait and see who will be available off of waivers before deciding if DD is the big man we want or not.

I expect resolution, one way or another, in about a week.

There are only two ways I can think of where the Pacers create "revenue."

1) The amnesty clause. Waiving AC helps relative to the luxury tax anyway.

2) A trade with a team under the cap so you can take back less salary than you give up.

1 will almost certainly happen with Croshere. I don't see the second option but maybe Donnie has something up his sleeve.

And in none of those cases do I see Indy having more than whatever's left from their MLE.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Soooo.... with the slow signing of Saras maybe the Pacers were seeing if there were any alternate offers that would leave more for Dale and still keep Saras happy?

Is that possible?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden