Thread: Poker

Zesty

Default Poker

As I'm sure everyone on here is aware of, poker is experiencing an explosion in popularity, especially Texas Hold 'Em. I've played for money about a half-dozen times at this point (spread across the past 10-12 months), all of them at my office. I don't feel like I'm very good, but I've finished in the money the past four times, including getting second out of 16 people in a two-table affair right before Thanksgiving. We're having another big game tonight (16-20 people, $100 buy-in) that I'm pretty stoked about, so I thought I'd see if anyone else here plays and how often, any tactics they find effective, etc. I play very conservatively; the last game we had, I played two hands the whole night, but I won them both and ended up taking second. I'd like to be more aggressive with bluffing or what have you, but I don't feel I know enough about how the game flows yet to do that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Poker

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I'm sure everyone on here is aware of, poker is experiencing an explosion in popularity, especially Texas Hold 'Em. I've played for money about a half-dozen times at this point (spread across the past 10-12 months), all of them at my office. I don't feel like I'm very good, but I've finished in the money the past four times, including getting second out of 16 people in a two-table affair right before Thanksgiving. We're having another big game tonight (16-20 people, $100 buy-in) that I'm pretty stoked about, so I thought I'd see if anyone else here plays and how often, any tactics they find effective, etc. I play very conservatively; the last game we had, I played two hands the whole night, but I won them both and ended up taking second. I'd like to be more aggressive with bluffing or what have you, but I don't feel I know enough about how the game flows yet to do that.

Bluffing works best when you have something out on the flop that can be used, like if a 7-8-J comes up and you have a 2-3 in you hand(or something to that effect).

Most people I see get in trouble when they bluff, is they try bluffing a pair, a two pair, or have no freaking clue what the other players have. Watching TV actually helps in those cases, because you start to fimiliarize yourself with %.

I just follow these two simple rules when bluffing:
    1) Have a excellent idea on what everyone else has. Try to acess the situation by their expession when they recieve their cards, and when the flop is turned up.
    2) Use something everyone else can see. Bluffing a high pair is extremely dangerous, because there's a good possiblity someone else can actually have that pair and they'll be willing to bet with you, same goes for a three of a kind.

Bluffing a high pocket pair early can go in your favors if you use if sparingly. You have to commit yourself before the flop ever comes out. Bet, but don't go too big or you'll just end up with the blinds. You want to make people think you have something good, but don't frighten them until after you see the flop and there's hardly anything in it. Be careful with people who call your bet quickly, start counting their chips before it gets to them and then throws them in quickly. Most of the time they either know your bluffing, or actually have something worth the risk.

we need to have a Poker Tournemnt online with all the Pacer Digest Posters.... maybe something can be set up, I an't played in years but would like some practise seeing as it is so darn popular

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

You don't want to get me started on Poker I play practically everyday, online or with friends. I've been playing close to a year now, and I'm still learning things everyday.

As for a couple things Zesty talked about I'll throw in a few tips.

First off, study your table, if you have a really loose table you wanna tighten up your hand selection and raise with big hands. With a very loose table you don't want to get over aggressive on big hands though you have let the chasers have a slight chance to catch up or atleast give them a shot to bluff at you.

If your table is very tight and passive, you want to play a few more hands and bluff at big flops where there is an ace or a pair on the board and see if you can steal some pots. Also on a tight table you want to do more raising before the flop especially if you are in late posistion or on the button (dealer) so you can steal some blinds.

As for only playing 2 hands, that can work in your favour also, some people will give you respect for being a tight player and this should give you more opputunities to bluff because people will give you credit for big hands.

Lastly, the less people there are at your table the better your hands become. During a 10 person table most people wouldn't raise with a small pocket pair, king 9, ace 3, kind of marginal hands. But with a 4-5 person table those are great hands, so you have to be aware of the table numbers.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!!
    we need to have a Poker Tournemnt online with all the Pacer Digest Posters.... maybe something can be set up, I an't played in years but would like some practise seeing as it is so darn popular
    I'm in, but if we play with money it'll have to be someone elses because I won't use mine.

We could always play strip poker.....although, we'd definitely have to have web cams set-up......

And why would I want to see you nekkid??????
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I think I'll skip the next forum party, nudist version.

Played tons of poker growing up. My friends paid for my first stereo. :-)

I don't have much time to play anymore, though. That's a shame, because I still enjoy it a lot.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Able, You apprently already know my poker play abilities.....

I was thinking more of grace having no money that she was willing to sacrifice........Just trying to help her out.

Zesty

I ended up playing not to lose last night, and as such, I lost. The way I look at it, I got some pizza, some beer, and a poker lesson for $100.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    I ended up playing not to lose last night, and as such, I lost. The way I look at it, I got some pizza, some beer, and a poker lesson for $100.
    Well hell, for a hundy I'd throw in some ping pong as well.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    I was thinking more of grace having no money that she was willing to sacrifice........Just trying to help her out.
    I don't like seeing myself naked. You wouldn't enjoy it either.

I'm naked right now. At work. That's how I live my life.

I'd be up for a game, but for low stakes. I have the Donohoe Digital poker video game (Annie Duke on the cover), and it's helped me learn about odds quite a bit.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy