Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Grant waived via Amnesty clause

foretaz

Default Brian Grant waived via Amnesty clause

my gut tells me he will end up in miami or portland....but hes buds with jo....and if dale walks he would be a great replacement....i know his knees are shaky....but we would most likely not need a lot out of him...and hes a great veteran presence....always been one of my personal favorites....not sure if its much of a chance, but ill keep my fingers crossed

http://www2.dailynews.com/sports/ci_2927723

Lakers cut ties with Grant

By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

The Lakers have decided to waive forward Brian Grant, taking advantage of a one-time provision to the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement allowing them to save nearly $30 million in luxury tax penalties.

"We understand from a business standpoint there's a huge economic incentive with the luxury tax savings," Grant's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Tuesday. "We know it has nothing to do with Brian's abilities as a player and has everything to do with dollars."

Grant was the Lakers' second-highest paid player after Kobe Bryant and still is owed $29.8 million on his contract. He averaged a career-low 3.8 points and 3.7 rebounds last season while battling chronic tendinitis in his knees.

The Lakers will have to pay nearly all of Grant's remaining contract, even if the 33-year-old forward signs with another team as a free agent, and will gain no additional salary cap flexibility until after the 2006-07 season, when Grant's contract expires.

Where the Lakers will benefit is in removing Grant's salary from the NBA's luxury tax calculations, present and future. The league assesses a dollar-for-dollar penalty for the amount teams spend over the luxury tax threshold, which will be $61.7 million for next season.

The Lakers' payroll for the upcoming season is projected to be in excess of $75 million. They have until Aug. 15 to take advantage of the amnesty provision, but are expected to release Grant as early as today.

Grant will join Portland guard Derek Anderson and Orlando guard Doug Christie (Pepperdine) as the league's first three amnesty casualties. Anderson worked out for the Lakers on Monday and will visit Minnesota and Detroit before making a decision early next week about where to sign.

"We like that situation," Anderson's agent, Tony Dutt, said about the Lakers, "but there are others we like as well. We're still exploring the market."

The Lakers are in need of a ball-handling guard as well as a shooter, and Anderson fits the bill for both. They have $5 million to spend but appear adamant about splitting their midlevel exception on two players while Anderson would like the full amount.

Dutt said the Lakers also want to wait and see which players become available as the amnesty deadline approaches. Anderson, meanwhile, underwent a physical for the Lakers, which Dutt said resolved any questions about his health.

Anderson missed a combined 66 games the last two seasons and has battled back problems.

After arriving from Miami last year as part of the Shaquille O'Neal trade, Grant struggled with a neck injury in training camp. He missed only six games during his last two years with the Heat but was forced to go on the injured list for a month in late November due to the tendinitis. Last season Grant was reduced to a bench role and averaged only 16.5 minutes per game, with his price tag outweighing his productivity. The Lakers also are facing a deadline today to buy out the contract of their 2004 second-round draft pick, forward Marcus Douthit. They are unlikely to do so but could retain Douthit's rights for another year by tendering him an offer

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brian Grant waived via Amnesty clause

I read somewhere when I was in California a few weeks back (can't recall which paper) that he wants to return to Miami if and when he was let go. I hope not but he may very well return to them now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think most of use knew that was going to happen.

Miami already has Zo, Walker, and Haslem.

I'd love to see us make a play for him.

foretaz

though my gut says its a pretty good possibility grant wants to go to miami, given the heats signings recently, they may not want him....

it would seem to me that they might not want both zo and grant....

supposedly riley has told zo he wants to know what zos plans are pretty soon....maybe thats because of grants impending availability....

and i really cant see zo not playing in miami....either way, id love to have either of the two.....though grant seems like the most likely of the possibilities....

I didn't realize Christie was waived by Orlando, too.

The Pacers should definitely try to get him. Grant still has a ton of money going his way, so his asking price shouldn't be too much. If he's still friends with JO, then that's another thing to factor in.

Grant would be a very solid backup to JO, or even a starter at C, if needed. Signing him should also make it easier for the Pacers to waive Croshere or Bender.

But I can also see Grant going back to Miami. The Heat could just play Walker behind Posey, Grant behind Haslem, and Zo behind Shaq.

There are other teams that have more money to spend as well, so I'm not holding my breath for Grant. It would make a great signing though.

BeastoftheEast

i would love to have him here he could be a great startin center for us "if" his knees hold up .. make a move 4 him

Zesty

So would you guys want him over Dale Davis?

and what playesr are left, that came in trade with miami last year? atkins & butler = kwame; odom. shaq is very cheep...

I do not want Grant as a "Starting" Center on a Championship Contending Team.Not to mention he is around 6'9" and that we play a half-court style of play unlike most of the West where you can get around being a little smaller.

However as a backup for JO, sign me up !

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    though my gut says its a pretty good possibility grant wants to go to miami, given the heats signings recently, they may not want him....

it would seem to me that they might not want both zo and grant....

supposedly riley has told zo he wants to know what zos plans are pretty soon....maybe thats because of grants impending availability....

and i really cant see zo not playing in miami....either way, id love to have either of the two.....though grant seems like the most likely of the possibilities....
    I'd love to see the Pacers get Zo!!
    Fat chance, tho...

If I had more time
    I'd make it a rhyme...

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    So would you guys want him over Dale Davis?
    something tells me grant might possibly be cheaper than dale...

meaning we might be able to afford grant and not dale....

i still think if dale is willing to play for what we have available, he will be here....but if not....then we look at other options and grant would be a great one...

they are somewhat similar....they are both very good post defenders...they are both good rebounders and box out well....brian is a better offensive player...brian is younger....but dale appears to be healthier...

i really dont think we could go wrong with either....and i have a feeling neither will play a ton of minutes if all things go as planned...dale is probably a bit more of a center, while brian is probably a bit more of a power forward...considering we have pollard, foster, and harrison at center...and croshere(if he stays) and bender appear to be are our backups at the pf slot, one might argue grant could possibly be a better fit...

I've always liked Brian Grant. He's a little undersized, but he plays bigger than his size.
    Plus there is not a better person playing in the NBA today. He'd be a good lockerrom guy

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question:

If a team (ie Pacers) over the LT were to pick up one of the Amnesty Clause guys, would the new team be responsible for LT on that guy? I imagine so, but I want clarification.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

It would be nice if we got Grant. Our 3-1 trade could then be an upgrade at one of the guard positions.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Grant's size isn't a concern to me. He plays bigger than 6'9", even moreso than the 6'9" Tony Davis, and completely unlike 6'10" Croshere, who plays like he's 6'7".

The starting issue doesn't matter to me. If he needed to start due to old-man-syndrome, that's fine. If not, that's fine too. He'd take major defensive pressure off JO, either playing next to him or as his backup.

As I've said, I'd rather have Cliffy, because he's healthier and an offensive threat as well, but he's not available anymore. With Dale's price going into the stratosphere, I'd be perfectly happy if we waived Cro and signed Grant on the cheap.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Question:

If a team (ie Pacers) over the LT were to pick up one of the Amnesty Clause guys, would the new team be responsible for LT on that guy? I imagine so, but I want clarification.
    Yes; I don't believe the amnesty clause has any bearing on the LT implications for a team that signs a waived player.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd be all for bringing in Grant, and then cutting Cro loose. Then we can package some guys (AJ & Pollard) for a center upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    something tells me grant might possibly be cheaper than dale...

meaning we might be able to afford grant and not dale....

i still think if dale is willing to play for what we have available, he will be here....but if not....then we look at other options and grant would be a great one...

they are somewhat similar....they are both very good post defenders...they are both good rebounders and box out well....brian is a better offensive player...brian is younger....but dale appears to be healthier...

i really dont think we could go wrong with either....and i have a feeling neither will play a ton of minutes if all things go as planned...dale is probably a bit more of a center, while brian is probably a bit more of a power forward...considering we have pollard, foster, and harrison at center...and croshere(if he stays) and bender appear to be are our backups at the pf slot, one might argue grant could possibly be a better fit...
    My thoughts on Dale vs. Brian are pretty similar. Grant certainly will use his body on defense & he does have a little better shot. Dale is a better defender & rebounder but I would be ok with Grant if Dale can not be had.

I do not feel comfortable with our center rotation right now. Not one of the players we have ended last season in good health. I know Harrison looks improved but remember he was taken out after an elbow to the jaw & then the knee came along. Foster just had surgery again & Pollard cannot play more than 5 games at a time before he has to set out with pain.

I think we need another person to help in the rotation & I would prefer a veteran who knows how to body up on defense. Dale or Brian would fit that bill.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

PacersFan

I'd really like to get Grant cause I still remember what a gritty player he was against the Pacers in the playoffs 2 years ago. He'd be the perfect backup behind JO. I just hope his buddy JO can convince him to come here and play for a championship.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't mind Grant either. a stand up guy that can contribute.

On a seperate note,"The Lakers are in need of a ball-handling guard as well as a shooter, and Anderson fits the bill for both. They have $5 million to spend but appear adamant about splitting their midlevel exception on two players while Anderson would like the full amount." How can D. Anderson want the full 5 mill. exception from the Lakers when he is still getting his big check from Portland? That screams of someone that is looking out for #1.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    I wouldn't mind Grant either. a stand up guy that can contribute.

On a seperate note,"The Lakers are in need of a ball-handling guard as well as a shooter, and Anderson fits the bill for both. They have $5 million to spend but appear adamant about splitting their midlevel exception on two players while Anderson would like the full amount." How can D. Anderson want the full 5 mill. exception from the Lakers when he is still getting his big check from Portland? That screams of someone that is looking out for #1.
    its whatever the market is willing to pay....and lets face it....why would someone go to the lakers right now??? its not like hes gonna contend for a title....not sure why he should do the lakers any favors....this should be interesting to see how this plays out...

hes probably not the only one that will be able to get the MLE if he wants it....but these guys more than likely wont be able to get that sort of money if they want to go to a contender.....but u never know...it only takes one....

but my guess is these amnesty guys will have a choice....more dollars and no title chance....or less dollars and a title chance....

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    Maybe (and probably) you're right in you assessment of Anderson's character and motivations, but another possibility is that the terms of his Portland contract dictated that if waived, he is to be paid that full remaining salary over a longer period than the term of the contract (e.g., over ten years instead of over two years). If that's the case, then he'd understandably want to get as much out of a free agency contract as possible to make up for the reduced yearly payouts.

I think I read that Michael Finley's contract with the Mavs is written this way, and so he is expected to go for $$ in free agency if he's waived, too.

Of course, either way, Anderson has always seemed like a jerk to me.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

1 Brian Grant at the vet minimum for backup PF-duties, yes, please!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws