Thread: Joe Johnson's future in ATL in critical doubt

Default Joe Johnson's future in ATL in critical doubt

http://www2.realgm.com/images/nba/4....ate/spacer.gif

Judge Blocks Belkin's Removal9th August, 2005 - 2:09 .AP

- A judge here stepped into the feud between owners of the Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday, blocking the other members of the ownership group from removing Boston businessman Steve Belkin as managing partner. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Allan van Gestel granted Belkin's request for a temporary injunction, saying a contract signed by all the owners last year prevents the group from voting him out. It was unclear whether the other owners would scrap plans for a Tuesday vote to replace Belkin, who owns 30 percent of the franchise, with co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. Belkin is part of the nine-member Atlanta Spirit LLC group, which also owns the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers and the operating rights to Philips Arena. The dispute stems from Belkin's refusal to approve a sign-and-trade deal for the Hawks to acquire guard Joe Johnson from the Phoenix Suns . As the team's NBA governor, Belkin must sign off on all trades. The ruling, which extends indefinitely a temporary restraining order obtained by Belkin last week, can be appealed to a higher court. The judge said Belkin's refusal to sign on to the Johnson deal was not grounds for his removal under the contract. "It is hardly apparent on the present record that the deal for Johnson, however talented he may be ... is in the economic best interest of the franchise," the judge wrote. "Sometimes the cost is just too great." The five-year contract the Hawks offered Johnson -- worth about $70 million, including $20 million for the first year -- would have made him the team's highest-paid player. Atlanta would also give Phoenix two first-round picks, second-year guard Boris Diaw and a $4.9 million trade exception. "Steve Belkin simply thinks that's too much to pay for Joe Johnson," Belkin's lawyer, John Fabiano, told the judge. [READ]

http://www2.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...lkins_removal/

Why Not Us ?

Zesty

Default Re: Joe Johnson's future in ATL in critical doubt

Hard to fault Belkin for this one. $70 million is too much for JJ.

cariocapacer

Actually the dissenting owner is complaining about the size of the contract, he thinks the trade value of two 1st round picks is too high. Look for JJ to sign a max offer sheet and my guess is Phx wont match.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cariocapacer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually the dissenting owner is complaining about the size of the contract, he thinks the trade value of two 1st round picks is too high. Look for JJ to sign a max offer sheet and my guess is Phx wont match.
    Yup. But I think Belkin's full of it, personally. Even BK came out and said as much.

Things continue to look bleak for (both) Hawks fans. I have to admit, though, I have a small soft spot for 'em. Back when I was a casual fan, before I became a Pacers addict, I was a Hawks fan (in the Nique/Spudd days).

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup. But I think Belkin's full of it, personally. Even BK came out and said as much.

Things continue to look bleak for (both) Hawks fans. I have to admit, though, I have a small soft spot for 'em. Back when I was a casual fan, before I became a Pacers addict, I was a Hawks fan (in the Nique/Spudd days).
    Casual fan.

Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And our own Arkman40 has a front row seat to this circus.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Tim

I wonder if Stern is going to apply pressure in the background. Not that Stern wants to get into ownership business but he has to be concerned that the fans may think the Hawks will never on teh right track.

Just when you think they hit bottom they find a new low.

Gearon Sr. rejected Belkin's contention that two first-round picks are too valuable to give up in the deal. "We've had, I'd estimate, 33 first-round draft picks since 1972," he said, "and not one of them has evolved into a player the quality of Joe Johnson."

I wanted JJ to go to Atlanta. I was hoping they could trade into this lineup:

Claxton/Johnson/Smith/Williams/Magloire

I mean, people in Atlanta would have something to cheer for! I would love it, because I am interested in how the Williams/Smith forward combo is going to develop.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

"It is hardly apparent on the present record that the deal for Johnson, however talented he may be ... is in the economic best interest of the franchise," the judge wrote. "Sometimes the cost is just too great."
    Where, oh, where was this judge two years ago when Brad left.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Diesel

By the way aren't those two draft picks lottery protected for the next couple of seasons. I personally don't think Joe Johnson is a max player either but Belkin should let the man whos been hired to improve the team which is Billy Knight make that decision, since it will be his *** on the line if this team continues to stink for the next couple of years.