Thread: A few questions.....

Default A few questions.....

This time having to do with point guards.

Not for this season but for next season.

Are you satisfied with our p.g. spot? Both starter & backup?

If you are satisfied do you think the Pacers should re-sign Jamison Brewer or Kenny Anderson or neither or both for next season?

Does anybody prefer Anderson over Johnson?

Is Brewer worth signing again?

If you are not satisfied with Jamaal what type of point guard would you like to see the pacers get?

Does anybody even remember Omar Cooke?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

diego

Default Re: A few questions.....

Well if this question was asked when this season started my answer would be much different. I have been impressed with Tins though. His condidtioning, decision making, and most importantly his jump shot. He has a much needed element to this team and you can see how fluid the offense is when he is in game. Ideally would i like him to be a better defender, yes. But with Artest, JO, and Freddie i feel we have good team defense which makes up for his ineffectiveness. So i would like to see Jamaal back next year with Brewer as the back up. I think Brewer has the athleticsm, defense, and ability to not stagnate the offense like AJ does.

As of this moment, I am satisified that Tinsley is our PG both now and in the future. I don't think a trade for a siginficantly better PG will happen. I can't see us drafting one either. Given the learning curve for PG, he's not going to be better than Tinsley any time soon.

Johnson has 2 year deal and Anderson 1, right? I guess I'm all right with Tinsley + Brewer + Johnson next year. Perhaps its wishful thinking, but I'd like Brewer to be the #2 PG. If we can't/don't resign Brewer, then Tinsley + Anderson + Johnson would be fine, I guess.

I feel our bigger need is a big, banging center. Jeff does generally fine, but he struggles against the true power players. He's better than he was last year, though.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I'm happy with Tinsley. If he stays this good or improves (as long as he doesn't go back to bad habits), I'm satisfied with him as our starter.

Undecided on the backup position. I really wish we could have someone who doesn't slow down the offense so much when Tinsley comes out, but when healthy AJ should be a better defender than Tins (unless JT keeps improving in that area), and obviously can also hit the 3-ball.

Hmm a lot of questions in one

Tins is making me very happy, he is showing why he is promising and I think that both on defense and shot he will improve more and more, in fact I think he will be one of the "better" PG's in the league the coming years.

So ans an answer; yes I would like to keep him.

Now as for AJ, he has definitely improved the last few games but I am not sure whether that is because Fred is doing most passing when they are in together or for any other reason.
    Also in consideration is that he will not be protected in the draft and is no matter how you look upon it a cheap PG for the cats to pick up.

I don't see Kenny coming back, the amount of time he is (not) getting should be some indication of that
    Brewer, showed some promise, but how patient are they gonna be with him? what would it cost to re-sign him and what else can you get for that amount of money? what if Fred lpays more and more at the point ?

Those are serious questions to consider, to non I have the answer, sadly

I hope they find another "Tins" out there,to backup Tins, but who knows, as it is I would far more look into strengthening the team at the 5 then at the 1 while also the 2 might need some attention.

And yes, Omar might be a consideration instead of Brewer or just to replace Kenny and AJ if we lose both of them.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo

Well clearly I like Tinsley as the starter.

I would love to keep Brewer and sign Rod Strickland for next year. Dump both Anderson and Johnson. Neither are true pg's.

My dream rotation would be for both the starter and the backup to be true pg's. Strickland seems to be over his cancerous ways as he see's his career coming to an end.

I think Tins needs to play more minutes anyway and Rod could give us 10 to 18 minutes a game easy. The second unit would run way better IMO if they had Strick in there.

Assuming R.Strickland isn't a cancer, I'd love to have him as our backup. Assuming he murders other team's PGs like he does ours.

Sports Logo

Assuming R.Strickland isn't a cancer, I'd love to have him as our backup. Assuming he murders other team's PGs like he does ours.
    He has been playing really well for Torono. But they are going to probably fire Oneal after this season. Too bad he didnt sign with them at the begining of the year he might have been a bigger help. So I doubt he will stay.

I'd really like to see us re-sign Brewer and give him some PT next season to see what he can do. I think he has the potential to develop into a fine PG.

I really think AJ and Kenny are better players than some people give them credit for, but IMO (esp. in AJ's case) they just don't fit well in our offensive system. I'd frankly be surprised if either one is our long-term backup solution.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm happy with Jamaal.

If Fred Jones is back - I don't see him as ever being more than a combo guard so at some time we've got to expiriment with him as the backup PG.

AJ - I'm always neutral on AJ. I guess I'd rather have Kevin Ollie back, but he's better than Erick Strickland.

KA - I've never liked him. I'm just glad we got him after he grew up, can you imagine how this might have turned out with the early-to-mid nineties version of Kenny? But he's a pretty good insurance policy now.

Brewer - He must have the greatest agent in the world. Outside of sheer quickness, he brings very little to the table. He would have been fifth-string if we kept Cook, who outplayed him for most of training camp. But Brewer's money was guaranteed, Cook's was not...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Oh, the point guard position. My favorite position and favorite topic.

I am about 95% sold on Tinsley as being good enough to get the Pacers to where I want them to go. Winning a championship. I do still have concerns about whether he is good enough to go against the likes of Baron Davis, Jason Kidd, Billups, more than likely the pacers will face two of those three guys. Tinsley does not need to outplay any of those three, but it can't be a total mismatch like it was in past season.

I am more than happy with AJ as the backup point guard, in fact I think he is a perfect fit and one of the best backups in the NBA.

I don't expect kenny to be back next season and no for the 100th time Kenny should not be playing ahead of AJ.

Isn't Brewer signed through next season, from what you are saying, I guess not, for the minimum, I say bring him back. he is good friends with Artest and that is good enough reason for me.

Sports Logo

Jay I was talking about Rod Strickland not Erick.

I really hope we keep Brewer I think he will be important in the future.

To answer the Omar Cook question, I believe he just signed a multi year deal with the team he is playing with right now after playing well on a 10 day contract. I just read that this morning, but I can't remember where.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To answer the Omar Cook question, I believe he just signed a multi year deal with the team he is playing with right now after playing well on a 10 day contract. I just read that this morning, but I can't remember where.
    Here it is:

http://www.katu.com/sports/story.asp?ID=64895

RATS!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I've never quite understood why you're so fond of Brewer. He's much more similar to AJ than he is to Tinsley and we definitely know how you feel about those two.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Here it is:

http://www.katu.com/sports/story.asp?ID=64895

RATS!
    I'm assuming Gyron read it the same place I did this morning:
    http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/130096-8492-039.html
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo

I've never quite understood why you're so fond of Brewer. He's much more similar to AJ than he is to Tinsley and we definitely know how you feel about those two.......
    Brewer is fast and a good defender who can keep the quick pg's at bay. How is that anything like AJ?

Seriously I dont see any comparison to AJ other than that neither of them are very good at running the ofense.

I beleive that with Brewers speed he is an asset and if we face the Hornets in the second round he would be really helpfull at containing Davis. Of course I dont expect them to put him on the playoff roster so that is moot.

I just like his energy and defense.