Thread: Can the Pacers Beat the Kings?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Can the Pacers Beat the Kings?

Of course, the question also could be asked: Can the Kings beat the Pacers?

Both teams have gone back and forth throughout the season in holding the league's best record. What will happen when the two teams meet in Conseco on Friday?

Will Brad Miller go off on the Pacers like he did when they played in Sac-town?

Who will J.O. guard, Brad or Chris Webber?

How effective will Artest be on the offensive end if he has Doug Christie, another fine defender, on him?

Do you slow the tempo down and try to control the clock, make them play half-court ball so to speak, and if so how do you do that?

I can't wait for Friday's game (I'm making the roadie in Indy to check it out in person) but I'm more than a little worried about the outcome. With Webber, Miller, Bibby, and Stojakovic the Kings pose a lot of matchup problems. Luckily the Pacers have good team defense so they'll be able to defend those players straight up.

I'm still worried that the Pacers won't be able to match their firepower. If a few of their guys have an off night or if Artest is able to shut down Peja, they can win but if not...

Anyway, what does everyone else think about this game? If the Pacers lose, will it effect their psyche or confidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo

Default Re: Can the Pacers Beat the Kings?

I think we can beat them and will. We didnt play Tins in the last one and Artest should not be kicked out early in this one either.

My question since we are looking at playing the Kings is: Does anyone still have hope that Pollard will work out?

I dont mind you but just a couple of weeks ago there were people in here thinking he would be helpful durring the playoffs. I dont know what that is based on and I dont agree but I was curious if that sentiment was still out there.

I still think Pollard might be the surprise of the playoffs.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I think if we play the Kings like we played the Cavs, we'll lose. In other words, we end up playing their game instead of them playing ours. We're not going to match the Kings' firepower, but we can keep them in check if we play to our strength, which is defense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So is anyone worried that the Pacers will lose this game?

Lately, I've been very confident before a game. For instance I was very confident the Pacers would beat Boston in Beantown and I'm very confident that they'll beat the Blazers tomorrow. Friday, I'm a bit iffy about.

Although, I will say that I have been to about 12 games in the past 5 years and the Pacers won each of them. Maybe the streak will continue with me in the audience?
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.

When everyone is healthy and we are playing our best we can beat any team in the NBA. Last time they beat us was because of Ron getting kicked out for nothing and the refs falling for all the floping by the Queens

If we play the way we are capable of playing, there is no reason why we cannot win. We have as deep a team as them, but we are a more physical team. As mentioned, if we play to their game like we did in Cleveland, then we will lose. Our defense has been lacking lately, and that is the key to beating the Kings. If we play defense, we will beat them. Why does SA consistantly beat the Kings? Defense. This is the key to the game.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At home? Without a doubt, yes. Will we? Dunno.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Banned

Lately, I've been very confident before a game. For instance I was very confident the Pacers would beat Boston in Beantown and I'm very confident that they'll beat the Blazers tomorrow. Friday, I'm a bit iffy about.
    The Blazer game is going to be difficult to win. Blazers are coming off impressive back to back wins over Sac and Minny. They are now in desperation mode, trying to make the playoffs, and for some reason, they are playing well right now and theyare playing with confidence.

With Sac coming to town next, the Pacers might be tempted to peak ahead a little bit instead of having 100 percent focus on Portland.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My question since we are looking at playing the Kings is: Does anyone still have hope that Pollard will work out?

With all the revisionist history going on here:

Who said "if we play the Cavs in the playoffs, Pollard will be important against Z."?

Last Sunday vs. Z, Pollard = DNP-CD.

BTW, the 91 Pacers just hammered the 87 Pacers 122-82 over at whatifsports.com. And some of you think that Bo Hill's teams didn't play any defense. :P
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The Kings will be playing their 3rd game in four nights and will certainly be tired. The crowd will be very into it too because of the implications and its a Friday. I'm worried that if we lose to Portland, we will play too uptight so as to avoid going on 3 game losing streak. Then again, we are playing Portland on a second game of a back-to-back for them.

Another advantage as mentioned is that they are both home games, which SHOULD make it a little easier on us. Plus I will be watching tomorrow, so we had better win
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Who said "if we play the Cavs in the playoffs, Pollard will be important against Z."?

BTW, the 91 Pacers just hammered the 87 Pacers 122-82 over at whatifsports.com. And some of you think that Bo Hill's teams didn't play any defense. :P

Jay since I was one person who said that I suppose I should respond, although I want to get back to the Kings. Wasn't Pollard still feeeliong the effects of the food poisoning in Boston and that was one of thereasons why he did not play.

I might eat these words but the toughest game this week for the Pacers will be Saturday night in Memphis.

Naptown, I have not checked the stats, but I don't recall Brad going off on the Pacers. In fact I remeber Brad trying to defend J.O in the first half and it was such a mismatch that Tony Masseenberg defended J.O almost the whole second half.

Pacers style iof defense is perfectly suited to defend the Kings offense. Pacers won't double team any post players, and they are very physical and that is the only way you can slow down the Kings offense.

Who knows if the Pacers will beat the Kings Friday night, but I am very confident that the pacers match up very well with the Kings.

dryley

If I remember right, Brad threw a triple-double at us.... that's going off!

I think the Pacers will win, but I can't state it for certain since I don't know if a certain alleged jinx will be in the audience.

I'll be there doing my best, though.....

[web]http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=888&highlight=jinx[/web]
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Naptown, I have not checked the stats, but I don't recall Brad going off on the Pacers. In fact I remeber Brad trying to defend J.O in the first half and it was such a mismatch that Tony Masseenberg defended J.O almost the whole second half.
    Remember... you brought it up - Brad Miller: 18 points, 15 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks

I have a feeling he'll be amped up whenever he plays the Pacers.

Pacers style iof defense is perfectly suited to defend the Kings offense. Pacers won't double team any post players, and they are very physical and that is the only way you can slow down the Kings offense.

Who knows if the Pacers will beat the Kings Friday night, but I am very confident that the pacers match up very well with the Kings.
    I agree with your thoughts on the Pacers defense being well suited to defend the Kings. However, I'm worried that when Webber and Miller are in the lineup at the same time it'll cause the Pacers some trouble.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jay since I was one person who said that I suppose I should respond, although I want to get back to the Kings. Wasn't Pollard still feeeliong the effects of the food poisoning in Boston and that was one of thereasons why he did not play.
    Could be true. I was actually hesitatant make that post because I couldn't find a reason why he didn't play (and I didn't hear the pre-game show on the Audio League Pass so I didn't recall hearing Mark and Slick discuss it.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I agree with your thoughts on the Pacers defense being well suited to defend the Kings. However, I'm worried that when Webber and Miller are in the lineup at the same time it'll cause the Pacers some trouble.
    I really don't think it is going to be a problem...they score well, but can't play any defense whatsoever. If we play defense like we did against them earlier this year, then we will win. It doesn't matter who is on the court. One would think that they bring size, but they aren't physical at all. So this does not worry me.

Sports Logo

on the audio pass they said that Pollard was healthy again and ready to play should they need him. I think Rick just chose not to play him.