Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

So I'm starting my new collection this Friday of the Current NBA rosters and such, just wondering if anybody know if these are the relevant boosters and series cards right now. If not please inform me of the active sets.

I found these so far:

2010-11 Panini Contenders

2010-11 Panini Rookies and Stars

2010-11 Panini Prestige

Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

yep, those are a few of the better sets out there...if you need any help with checklists or completing your sets or anything, just let me know as I might be able to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks! The next card I'm trying to get is the 08-09 Exquisite Roy Hibbert card, but they are so hard to find for a reasonable price.
    yeah it's a real nice card...here's my fav Hibbert card that I own (bottom left corner):

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    yeah it's a real nice card...here's my fav Hibbert card that I own (bottom left corner):

Wow. Those are really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    So I'm starting my new collection this Friday of the Current NBA rosters and such, just wondering if anybody know if these are the relevant boosters and series cards right now. If not please inform me of the active sets.
    Yeah, those are some of the better packs out there. I haven't had much luck with the playoff contenders, but I have been very lucky with the Rookies and Stars packs.

If you are just wanting sets and nothing special, you might want to go to Wal-Mart and get the retail packs. You get 10 cards compared to 5 and usually save 2 or 3 bucks. It will also help your collection grow faster.

If you are interested in hobby packs, there is a decent card shop in Greenwood or there are some online sites. I hope this helps!
    Last edited by KingGeorge; 06-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

yep, those are a few of the better sets out there...if you need any help with checklists or completing your sets or anything, just let me know as I might be able to help you out.
    Thanks man! I haven't collected Basketball cards since the 90's. I've been wanting to do again and I've finally decided to start again. I will probably be pretty active on this thread from now on. I will have 1,000+ questions for you and KG lol.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Thanks man! I haven't collected Basketball cards since the 90's. I've been wanting to do again and I've finally decided to start again. I will probably be pretty active on this thread from now on. I will have 1,000+ questions for you and KG lol.
    Yeah, just ask and I'm sure one of us on here will know. I just started back up again recently as well so I will try to help you out as much as I can.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

yeah, just ask away if you have any Q's

Here is my Paul George collection so far..

And some Eric Gordon ones..

KG---If that's your PG collection so far, then an affordable addition is the Panini Threads card (it is basically just a die-cut card shaped like a jersey). They are inserts into the base set. Picked it up at a card show for $1, then had it signed by PG at the STH event.

BTW, the card shop in Greenwood is closing soon, if it isn't closed already. I don't know of any other shops in the area; I go to a local show and will be going to the National in early August to complete some baseball card sets (hopefully) this time.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    KG---If that's your PG collection so far, then an affordable addition is the Panini Threads card (it is basically just a die-cut card shaped like a jersey). They are inserts into the base set. Picked it up at a card show for $1, then had it signed by PG at the STH event.

BTW, the card shop in Greenwood is closing soon, if it isn't closed already. I don't know of any other shops in the area; I go to a local show and will be going to the National in early August to complete some baseball card sets (hopefully) this time.
    Yeah I have a lot of the Panini Thread jerseys but still haven't managed to get a George one yet. I will have to get one off eBay.

He had mentioned something about the shop closing the last time I was in there, but I wasn't sure when it was going to happen. I have only been in there twice, but it seemed like a decent shop.

I was also thinking about going to the National this year as well. I think it would be like a 5 hour drive for me. Is it definitely worth it?
    Last edited by KingGeorge; 06-02-2011 at 11:33 PM.

The National is an experience like no other. You will see things there that you never have seen and may never see again as many museum-quality items for sale or to be auctioned will fall into private hands.

The card companies set up booths and give out promos that are pretty nice each day. Some companies like Dave and Adams deeply discount their products.

I also have success selling stuff there.

There is a saying that if you cannot find it at the National, it probably doesn't exist.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

The National is an experience like no other. You will see things there that you never have seen and may never see again as many museum-quality items for sale or to be auctioned will fall into private hands.

The card companies set up booths and give out promos that are pretty nice each day. Some companies like Dave and Adams deeply discount their products.

I also have success selling stuff there.

There is a saying that if you cannot find it at the National, it probably doesn't exist.
    Sounds awesome. Do you have to buy passes?

I think you buy admission tickets to get into the National Sports Collectors Convention...just like at any other convention center event. I hear it is worth the price of admission just to experience it all as it is absolutely AMAZING. A Yahoo! Sports writer wrote a story about it last year I believe. I do have some Eric Gordon commons and rookies that I'd probably be willing to let go of if you'd be interested...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys are pumping me up to get my set started tomorrow.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

I think you buy admission tickets to get into the National Sports Collectors Convention...just like at any other convention center event. I hear it is worth the price of admission just to experience it all as it is absolutely AMAZING. A Yahoo! Sports writer wrote a story about it last year I believe. I do have some Eric Gordon commons and rookies that I'd probably be willing to let go of if you'd be interested...
    Yeah I just looked it up. It is $18 dollars a day if you buy online.

I have been to several Nationals. You cannot go to a better card and memorabilia show. Great place to people-watch too. Fun to camp out near the autograph pavilion if you have time to kill, but I never buy autographs there----too expensive.

You can buy tickets in advance at a slightly reduced price at the National website, I believe. It's $20/day at the door.

I usually stay at a local hotel for a couple of days. The first day, I try to cover all the tables and also get whatever promos the card companies are giving out. To do this, you have to average something like only 30 seconds a table to cover everything in a day, and be in line at the card company booths at specified times. By the end of the first day I have done my comparison shopping and have picked up any rarer stuff that I figure won't last possibly til the next day. By the second day I am working on set-building and buying new product and supplies. Availability is best on the first day; best deals are had on the last day, but you run the risk that dealers will have left early.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

I have been to several Nationals. You cannot go to a better card and memorabilia show. Great place to people-watch too. Fun to camp out near the autograph pavilion if you have time to kill, but I never buy autographs there----too expensive.

You can buy tickets in advance at a slightly reduced price at the National website, I believe. It's $20/day at the door.

I usually stay at a local hotel for a couple of days. The first day, I try to cover all the tables and also get whatever promos the card companies are giving out. To do this, you have to average something like only 30 seconds a table to cover everything in a day, and be in line at the card company booths at specified times. By the end of the first day I have done my comparison shopping and have picked up any rarer stuff that I figure won't last possibly til the next day. By the second day I am working on set-building and buying new product and supplies. Availability is best on the first day; best deals are had on the last day, but you run the risk that dealers will have left early.
    I'm definitely going to try and make it up there. Probably stay for 2 days.

You guys are pumping me up to get my set started tomorrow.
    What are you buying tomorrow?

i don't know if anybody here does much with grading cards or likes graded cards, but at the National, there are people there to grade your cards for you on the spot instead of you having to mail them in to the company like normal to get your cards graded. I don't do the graded stuff, but I know some do and this is probably the best time to do it since you can drop them off and pick them up in just a day's time.

I'm definitely going to try and make it up there. Probably stay for 2 days.
    Unless you want to pay more for the convenience of staying across the street from the convention center, stay a couple of miles away for less. Don't book a hotel on the National website. I called a toll free number for the hotel I wanted and saved $20/night.

i don't know if anybody here does much with grading cards or likes graded cards, but at the National, there are people there to grade your cards for you on the spot instead of you having to mail them in to the company like normal to get your cards graded. I don't do the graded stuff, but I know some do and this is probably the best time to do it since you can drop them off and pick them up in just a day's time.
    This is true, but as of last year, they were still charging a bit of a premium for the on-site grading. Not a big fan of grading, but I have some 1960 and 1961 Fleer baseball cards to sell, and the high grades command a premium, so I may bite the bullet so I can get some extra $$$ to complete my sets.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What are you buying tomorrow?
    Some of the boosters I showed in the earlier post. I probably stop by Wal-mart or Target as well and pick up some of those packs as well. Hard to get packs anymore since our Card Connection went out in Columbus.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Some of the boosters I showed in the earlier post. I probably stop by Wal-mart or Target as well and pick up some of those packs as well. Hard to get packs anymore since our Card Connection went out in Columbus.
    Go to the Wal-mart by the movie theatre in Colombus. They usually have a better selection than the other one.