Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

Deadshot/Christian

Thanks for the tips, I'm just going for team sets from the new era. Have to start from scratch again. Makes things exciting in the collecting hobby.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is the difference between hobby version and retail version cards? I thought back when I was collecting you could get game-used jersey cards in wal-mart packs.
    You can get them there but the odds are better in hobby packs. However, the market is flooded with them now anyway so its a lot easier to get them at WalMart than it used to be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is there a good website that has the money value of cards ? I found a card that I want, but I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

What is the difference between hobby version and retail version cards? I thought back when I was collecting you could get game-used jersey cards in wal-mart packs.
    With the hobby version, there are much better odds at getting "good" cards, such as jersey cards, autographs, etc. They are, for the most part, somewhat hard to get in single packs at retail stores like Wal-Mart and Target, unless you get something that says something about a jersey card or autograph being guaranteed. Hobby version products are mainly sold at specialty stores, such as card shops and places like that. Retail is obviously sold at Wal-Mart, Target, and other stores like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    Deadshot/Christian

Thanks for the tips, I'm just going for team sets from the new era. Have to start from scratch again. Makes things exciting in the collecting hobby.
    This year's (10-11) Donruss cards were great for doing team sets...most players in the NBA are in the set and they even have team checklists that were cool. The Pacers team checklist card had the infamous pic from Media Day of Danny/Darren/Roy on it which was very cool. Players from the Pacers that are in the set include:

Danny
    Roy
    Collison
    Rush
    Dahntay
    TJ Ford
    Hansbrough
    Paul George
    and a couple others I believe

Is there a good website that has the money value of cards ? I found a card that I want, but I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.
    Well Beckett.com and their magazine has always been the most used in the hobby, but the truth about it is this: For the most part, it seems like they just make up whatever prices sound good. Book value isn't really even close to actual sell value, which is what most people go by today. Beckett as REALLY declined over the past several years and honestly, the best place to look is by using eBay's Completed Listings as you can see the current market values, at least by eBay standards. I always know the markets for everything NBA-related in the hobby very well, so if you have any questions about values you can always ask me and I'd be glad to help you out.

And I also have a couple Paul George rookie cards available if you'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    You can get them there but the odds are better in hobby packs. However, the market is flooded with them now anyway so its a lot easier to get them at WalMart than it used to be.
    I definitely agree with it being easier to get them. Some of Panini's products this year, such as the retail rack packs and even the majority of their blaster boxes from Wal-Mart and Target normally either guarantee a jersey card or autograph, or it is fairly easy odds-wise to pull one it seems like.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    Well Beckett.com and their magazine has always been the most used in the hobby, but the truth about it is this: For the most part, it seems like they just make up whatever prices sound good. Book value isn't really even close to actual sell value, which is what most people go by today. Beckett as REALLY declined over the past several years and honestly, the best place to look is by using eBay's Completed Listings as you can see the current market values, at least by eBay standards. I always know the markets for everything NBA-related in the hobby very well, so if you have any questions about values you can always ask me and I'd be glad to help you out.

And I also have a couple Paul George rookie cards available if you'd be interested.
    Yeah, I am definitely interested.

I was thinking about getting this card off EBay. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-11-Classics...2#ht_500wt_922

yeah I'd think that'd be a good deal on that PG auto rookie. That's probably gonna wind up as one of his nicest ones and since he's gonna be getting LOTS better real soon, I think now would be the cheapest that particular card will be. I believe I still have these 3 PG rookie cards, all of which would be available:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-11-Prestige...item53e722be4c

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-11-Prestige...item33621fff8e

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-11-Donruss-...item43a49734bd

These aren't my auctions, I'm just showing what they look like. Let me know if you're interested in any of them. Thanks!

yeah I'd think that'd be a good deal on that PG auto rookie. That's probably gonna wind up as one of his nicest ones and since he's gonna be getting LOTS better real soon, I think now would be the cheapest that particular card will be. I believe I still have these 3 PG rookie cards, all of which would be available:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-11-Prestige...item53e722be4c

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-11-Prestige...item33621fff8e

http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-11-Donruss-...item43a49734bd

These aren't my auctions, I'm just showing what they look like. Let me know if you're interested in any of them. Thanks!
    Thanks! I am interested in all three.

Probably your best time to buy on current players would be the offseason. With George you should be fine to buy now, but unless you see something at an unbelievable price, I would say to wait a month before you make any purchases.

Just pick one you like and go from there. Don't come into this expecting to make any money and you'll be fine. If you are going after specific cards, just get them off of ebay. If you're going for sets, try to buy hobby boxes instead of retail boxes (Walmart, Target, etc). Unless you know the owner of your local shop, they will likely screw you over so your best bet is to check online. Its a shady business overall lol. I would suggest dacardworld.com. I have ordered from them a handful of times and have been pleased. As far as sets go, I haven't purchased any cards in the last couple of months, but my favorite set this year was Donruss 2010-11 (has a nice old school look). If you want to just check it out I would suggest going retail in this case - you can get a rack pack of 40 cards for roughly $5. Good luck - let me know if you have any other questions.
    I'm going to add my two cents b/c I have probably been collecting cards longer than both of you put together! As mentioned in this and the next post, dacardworld and BlowoutCards are great places to buy unopened new material. My recommendation is to never buy on impulse from either of these places, though. Rather, comparison shop. Sometimes one place is way lower than the other or is running a deal. Also, don't buy new product right away. In 9 of 10 cases, you'll find the prices drop after a couple of months.

Disagree about local shops aiming to screw people over. Remember that as a brick and mortar store, they have to pay their rent, so expect to pay a bit more, but then you usually save S&H. Don't know where you are, but there is a show in Indy nearly every month and several folks sell new product at reasonable prices. Also, consider going to the National Sports Collector's Convention. Can't wait! It's back in Chicago this summer. You can get everything you want there, and can negotiate a fair price.

I'm a set collector too. Do some on-line investigating about box breaks, collation etc. and buy a product that you will enjoy collecting for the base set unless you really just want to assemble team sets.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Where is the best place to buy hobby packs online?

I got a pack today at a card store and it cost me $5.95. Did I overpay?

Depends on the pack.

Depends on the pack.
    I am just looking for single packs.

If you could give me multiple sites that would be great.

Where is the best place to buy hobby packs online?

I got a pack today at a card store and it cost me $5.95. Did I overpay?
    that's probably pretty darn good actually...the very minimum from the many card shops I've been to, they normally charge like $8-10 at the minimum per pack of hobby edition cards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156

What do you guys think the value is on a card like this? It is only #ed to 5, and it is pretty rare to see a tag in a card. I really like this one.

idk on the value of that...being as PG is one of the more popular rookies, and especially since he has LOTS of potential, and the factors of it being #'ed to 5 and it being a tag patch, the sky is the limit for this card--not really sure what it could go for. Could go for $70, or it could go for $300. I'm not really sure what it will end for......

I got this card in the mail today. It's nothing special, but I just think it is a really cool card. It is numbered to /25

PG is one of the most hyped rookies this season. most of his cards are selling high right now. i cant even afford his cards anymore. i think his national treasures rc /99 will sell for 150-200max

wow man, that EJ card is absolutely sick. very sweet patch on that one! congrats on the pickup!

P.S. If you can get EJ cards like that on the cheap, then go for it!! He's a big seller right now.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

wow man, that EJ card is absolutely sick. very sweet patch on that one! congrats on the pickup!

P.S. If you can get EJ cards like that on the cheap, then go for it!! He's a big seller right now.
    Thanks man. I got it on eBay for $8 total.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby_rm31 View Post
    PG is one of the most hyped rookies this season. most of his cards are selling high right now. i cant even afford his cards anymore. i think his national treasures rc /99 will sell for 150-200max
    Some of his cards are cheap. I got two of his jersey cards for $5 total and one with his signature for $10. Just takes some time looking around on eBay.

wow, that's actually incredible on the EJ as he's one of the hottest players on the market right now, and patches of good players normally can't be had for that cheap--especially EJ. Nice find!

wow, that's actually incredible on the EJ as he's one of the hottest players on the market right now, and patches of good players normally can't be had for that cheap--especially EJ. Nice find!
    Thanks! The next card I'm trying to get is the 08-09 Exquisite Roy Hibbert card, but they are so hard to find for a reasonable price.