Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

This is one of my prize pieces of my small collection

Also started on a mission to find highly graded Pacers RC cards of the players I deemed necessary to have.

I still haven't completed this set...

Grown Man Ball

I have an extra Bender from the NBA Finals GU Gold Label set that I would be willing to trade for another in the set that I don't already have (I see you have it but I'm just throwing it out there for everyone).

I'm also open to trading some of my JO game used cards and some of my numbered Pacers cards (they would have to be for other Pacers cards of course).

Here's a link to my collection...for the most part my NBA Finals team autograph set is complete but I would like to upgrade a few:

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/...%20collection/

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Steve, those are some really nice cards. I like Pacers stuff, but have always resisted buying cards to keep it less crazy. I just started buying some cards, but haven't collected these things for years and have no idea what I'm doing. I still have all my old 80's sports cards, Dukes of Hazard, ET, Star Wars, WWF and other cards in a simple binder.

I bought this lot of 40 autographed Pacers cards on ebay and it turns out they sure look real and super purdy!

Should I get some of these graded or just put them in plastic sleeves or what? I'm looking at a 50 card display frame and need to figure out if they should be graded or not. This is a different world for El Pacero (that I shouldn't have started!) Gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steve, those are some really nice cards. I like Pacers stuff, but have always resisted buying cards to keep it less crazy. I just started buying some cards, but haven't collected these things for years and have no idea what I'm doing. I still have all my old 80's sports cards, Dukes of Hazard, ET, Star Wars, WWF and other cards in a simple binder.

I bought this lot of 40 autographed Pacers cards on ebay and it turns out they sure look real and super purdy!

Should I get some of these graded or just put them in plastic sleeves or what? I'm looking at a 50 card display frame and need to figure out if they should be graded or not. This is a different world for El Pacero (that I shouldn't have started!) Gracias!
    I would just do the 50 card display frame. Since those cards look to be IP (or in person) autographs and didn't come from the card company already autographed. There's no real way of knowing 100% that they're authentic (though I'm sure they probably are). Grading cards can get pretty expensive. Looking through Beckett Grading Services price guide, for your lot of 40 cards, the cheapest route you could go would get you your cards back in 45 days and it would cost $8 per card.

I used to be really heavy into the whole trading card hobby but it got to be too pricey for me. I do still have a nice little collection of Pacers stuff that I won't ever get rid of though. Like the one's I posted already and these...

Grown Man Ball

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Agreed. And really no need to get them graded if you are happy with their eye appeal. Probably no need to authenticate them either. Even with the sigs, they are not worth it from an investment point of view; if they were really valuable, you might be less apt to display them in a prominent place.

EP-BTW, those Star Wars cards may be worth something.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My ****ing goodness.

My buddies wife had an uncle who worked for the Atlanta Braves for a few years. He died in 2003. They asked me to come over and figure out who some of their autographed material was. Needless to say, I was highly upset that this stuff was in a closet for 8 years. When I'm done naming names, you will be too. They said there was several more boxes and when they found them, that they'd ask me to help with those too.

I'll start with the mild stuff, these are all autographed game balls. Soime from the World Series, some from the All Star game in Atlanta, and others just game used balls.

- Chipper Jones x 3
    - Greg Maddux
    - John Smoltz
    - Andruw Jones
    - Andres Gallaraga
    - Jeff Blauser
    - Mark Lemke and a few others I can't recall off hand. One of them was an All Star for the Cubs in the 60's.

Those are mild, here are the ones I nearly crapped myself on ....

Carl Yastrzemski x 3
    Ted Williams
    Willie Mays

No f'n joke. Ted Williams, the Yas three times and a Willie Mays autograph.

ALL BEEN IN A CLOSET FOR 8 YEARS. WTF!?!

I took pictures on my phone, and could post if anyone's interested.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    My ****ing goodness.

My buddies wife had an uncle who worked for the Atlanta Braves for a few years. He died in 2003. They asked me to come over and figure out who some of their autographed material was. Needless to say, I was highly upset that this stuff was in a closet for 8 years. When I'm done naming names, you will be too. They said there was several more boxes and when they found them, that they'd ask me to help with those too.

I'll start with the mild stuff, these are all autographed game balls. Soime from the World Series, some from the All Star game in Atlanta, and others just game used balls.

- Chipper Jones x 3
    - Greg Maddux
    - John Smoltz
    - Andruw Jones
    - Andres Gallaraga
    - Jeff Blauser
    - Mark Lemke and a few others I can't recall off hand. One of them was an All Star for the Cubs in the 60's.

Carl Yastrzemski x 3
    Ted Williams
    Willie Mays

Definitely interested in seeing some of the pics. Did they hook you up with anything?
    Grown Man Ball

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Definitely interested in seeing some of the pics. Did they hook you up with anything?
    No, they didn't, and I wouldn't feel right asking. They gave me a place to live a few years ago when the person I was living with was drunk and having over his drug addict friends over and they were stealing my ****. It literally got to the point where I slammed the guy into the wall with the hand I was choking him with and started swinging on him. This friend called his wife after breaking up that fight and told her I was moving in until I could get my own place. I moved in that day. If I'd have had to stay there any longer, who knows. So, it's hard to ask them for something after that. I figure I owe them. I'm probably in jail otherwise.

Anyway, here are a couple pics. I'm really just gonna post the Willie Mays, Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski. I forgot to snap a picture of the Reggie Jackson autograph so I forgot to mention it, but it was there too. Lastly, you have no clue how long it took me to figure out the Carl Yastrzemski one. It looks nothing like his name.

Mood

No, they didn't, and I wouldn't feel right asking. They gave me a place to live a few years ago when the person I was living with was drunk and having over his drug addict friends over and they were stealing my ****. It literally got to the point where I slammed the guy into the wall with the hand I was choking him with and started swinging on him. This friend called his wife after breaking up that fight and told her I was moving in until I could get my own place. I moved in that day. If I'd have had to stay there any longer, who knows. So, it's hard to ask them for something after that. I figure I owe them. I'm probably in jail otherwise.

Anyway, here are a couple pics. I'm really just gonna post the Willie Mays, Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski. I forgot to snap a picture of the Reggie Jackson autograph so I forgot to mention it, but it was there too. Lastly, you have no clue how long it took me to figure out the Carl Yastrzemski one. It looks nothing like his name.

HOLY ****

I would pay 1k for wille mays and ted williams signture

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I would pay 1k for wille mays and ted williams signture
    You would be over-paying, unless they were on vintage photos or other rare pieces. Been to several auctions where you can get signed balls with authentication for much less. Of course, Ted Williams is one of the most forged autos in the industry, so authentication is useful, though admittedly not 100% accurate.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

That "Say hey" autographed photo is awesome!! It amazes me how much he and Griffey Jr. look like carbon copies of each other in photos from both of their early years. Bodies look almost identical, other than the whole righty vs. lefty thing.
    Grown Man Ball

Never saw Mays play in his prime, but he or Stan Musial are arguably the "greatest living ballpayers," an unofficial title that DiMaggio held for many years.

If anyone is into autographs, you should consider going to the National Sports Collectors Show. It will be in Chicago this year, early August I think. Musial usually signs there. Get him while you can. The Bulls also have a booth where they sell game-used and game-issued items at very reasonable prices.

A couple of recent additions:

My ****ing goodness.

- Chipper Jones x 3
    - Greg Maddux
    - John Smoltz
    - Andruw Jones
    - Andres Gallaraga
    - Jeff Blauser

Carl Yastrzemski x 3
    Ted Williams
    Willie Mays

interested in chippers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    A couple of recent additions:

Damn it do I want that Rik! Nice additions
    Grown Man Ball

Just curious what people will be bringing to have signed at the season ticket holder meet-n-greet next week.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Just curious what people will be bringing to have signed at the season ticket holder meet-n-greet next week.
    Last year I brought my authentic Granger All-Star jersey and had it signed. I have an authentic Granger home jersey that I'll probably bring this year. Might buy a new ball to to try to get the entire team to sign.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Last year I brought my authentic Granger All-Star jersey and had it signed. I have an authentic Granger home jersey that I'll probably bring this year. Might buy a new ball to to try to get the entire team to sign.
    Don't be disappointed if you can't come even close to getting the whole team. I think we had success waiting in 3 different lines last year, which amounted to about 6-7 autographs b/c they had about 2-3 players at each station and only allowed an hour for the players to sign. However, I got Bird and a difficult sig, in O'Brien---the STH event was the only opportunity to get that one. I have a Sports Illustrated that I bought at a show that I was going to have Bird sign, but I just noticed that it had writing on the inside, which kind of ruins the piece for me, even though the cover would display nicely.

Don't be disappointed if you can't come even close to getting the whole team. I think we had success waiting in 3 different lines last year, which amounted to about 6-7 autographs b/c they had about 2-3 players at each station and only allowed an hour for the players to sign. However, I got Bird and a difficult sig, in O'Brien---the STH event was the only opportunity to get that one. I have a Sports Illustrated that I bought at a show that I was going to have Bird sign, but I just noticed that it had writing on the inside, which kind of ruins the piece for me, even though the cover would display nicely.
    I'll have my girlfriend with me so I might have her and my buddy's wife hop in different lines and then pass the ball off to them to get as many as possible. Whatever players I don't get at the STH party I'll try to get at the Fan Jam before next season. That's if I even decide to do the ball. It's a ton of work that I probably won't feel like doing when the time comes.
    Grown Man Ball

photos and a granger swingman

I got this Dunleavy swingman signed at the Fan Jam before last season

I got this baseball signed by Whitey Ford at an Indianapolis Indians game back when Victory Field first opened.

Grown Man Ball

Got a couple of additions to my Pacers card collection in the mail today...

Grown Man Ball

So did anyone get anything neat signed at the STH party this past weekend? We got some of our bobbleheads signed. Poor Tyler had trouble getting his name squeezed onto the base.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mosley, that signed Antonio rookie card you have above, I had one just like it that I had him sign IP at a signing at Pacesetter Sports down in Terre Haute. I sold it along with the rest of my cards to a guy down in Greenwood. Mine and this one are the only two examples of this card that I've ever seen auto'd.

So did anyone get anything neat signed at the STH party this past weekend? We got some of our bobbleheads signed. Poor Tyler had trouble getting his name squeezed onto the base.
    My buddy James got his entire bobblehead set signed with a silver sharpie. They all look really good. The only one that didn't get signed in silver was DC, who accidentally signed with a regular black sharpie while Roy was using the silver sharpie. Jeff Foster signed his bobblehead right on the butt of the figure, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Mosley, that signed Antonio rookie card you have above, I had one just like it that I had him sign IP at a signing at Pacesetter Sports down in Terre Haute. I sold it along with the rest of my cards to a guy down in Greenwood. Mine and this one are the only two examples of this card that I've ever seen auto'd.
    Antonio signed that for me right after his rookie season at a Petsmart grand opening on the North side. He and his wife were both super nice and it made me an AD fan for life. To this day, he's still my favorite Pacers player ever. AD actually doesn't have any certified autographed cards in a Pacers uniform, so that one is extra cool to me.
    Grown Man Ball