Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

I have a Peyton Manning signed jersey (framed), an Edge signed football, a ball signed by the entire 1992-93 Colts (who were bad but the ball is still cool), a Greg and Mark Maddux signed baseball, a Larry Csonka signed football, and a Tarik Glenn signed football. I also have a Ken Dilger signed football and a Jason Belser framed and signed jersey.

None of this stuff is officially "for sale" but I'd be interested in looking at prices ya'll would offer. And everything has a COA of course.

I also have a ton of basketball cards, some which are pretty valuable I think, that I'm considering listing on here for sale in a couple of months. This would be a massive undertaking so I want to know if there is any interest from any collectors in here interested before I do so.

i have a phil jackson sighned card troy aikmam autgraph picture jermaine oneal autograph poster and a danny granger sighned jersey

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a Peyton Manning signed helmet, Jimmie Johnson signed 1:24 scale 2006 Brickyard 400 win car, 3 Framed 8x10 signed Mike Dunleavy photos, Pair of Mike's shoes signed, 2 signed 8x10 Danny Granger signed photos, 1 Diener 8x10 signed photo, 1 Murphy 8x10 signed photo and the sports page of the Indianapolis Star from the day after we drafted Danny Granger frame.

I have many, many more...just too much to type.

Anyone have any experience framing basketball jerseys in a shadow box? I have a couple I'd like to do and want to know the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone have any experience framing basketball jerseys in a shadow box? I have a couple I'd like to do and want to know the best way.
    The best way to do it is to hand sew the unautographed side of the jersey to the back of the inside of the frame. That way it never moves and it stays in its exact spot. Sew it in at least foure spots (top left/right and bottom left/right)

Make sure the glass doesn't touch the autograph so it doesn't rub off over time.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Exclamation Re: Basketball card and sports memoribilia collectors

I haven't dabbled in the sports card hobby for about 12 years now (I got out when the whole grading obsession hit). I can't believe how worthless cards have become . One of my better pulls out of a pack was a Kobe Bryant rookie, valued at the time around $40. Here is a completed auction for the same card now. http://cgi.ebay.com/Kobe-Bryant-Rook...1%7C240%3A1318 One dollar?!? You have to be kidding me. It's amazing that the fun that used to be found in the hobby has been killed by the fact that any card can be acquired for practically nothing on ebay. There's no more searching through packs to make a set or find a desired card.

I'm just stating the obvious for everyone else, but my question is this: what do you do with all of these cards now if you're looking to sell a collection? I checked Craigslist and there's a few collections on there with thousands of cards for pennies per card, but I doubt those are selling.

I have been meaning to put a pic of this card on here for awhile. Got it in the first pack of press pass I got during Danny's rookie season.

Danny Granger Gold Press Pass Jersey #183 of 250

the pic sucks but it's serial #183/250

Are basketball cards still widely collected?

Probably until 1996 or so I was a pretty avid collector. Cards were fairly valuable back then. I remember going through a Beckett somewhere years ago and I was surprised how much the overall value of cards had seemed to drop.

billbradley

i have a tom owens card. i will post it tomorrow. i felt him being the curse of the pacers, it needed a preamble.

There's a new curse in town
    Jon Wertheim
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ion/index.html

Let the oppression sweepstakes begin. Now that the Curse of the Bambino has been administered the Linda Blair treatment, it's time for another group of beleaguered, long-suffering fans to proclaim that the deities are in cahoots to screw their team.

Cubs devotees, of course, will be the first to stake their claim. Their team hasn't won the World Series since 1908, and their curse already has a name and a legacy. But the franchise has gotten so corporate of late -- The Tribune Co.'s lawyers rattling their sabers at the rooftop bleachers owners; the mistreatment of Steve Stone for having the audacity to tell the unvarnished truth -- that any misfortune is more karma than curse. Buffalo Bills fans will tell you their team has been under a hex. But how cursed can you be when you've been to four Super Bowls? The football fans in say, Atlanta or New Orleans, would kill for that record. (Plus Buffalo has that whole Vincent Gallo thing to account for.)

No, the Blog submits that the Indiana Pacers can now claim to be the most doom-struck franchise in sports. We're calling it the Curse of Tom Owens. A little history: after abundant success in the ABA, the Pacers joined the NBA in '76. Since then, misfortune has trailed behind the franchise like a rudder. In the beginning, the team had a singular knack for terrible trades. Adrian Dantley for James Edwards and Alex English for George McGinnis were two of the gems. But the coup de grace came in '81 when the brain trust sent its first-round pick in '84 to Portland for a journeyman named Tom Owens who played a whopping 74 games in Indianapolis. Portland used that pick to select Sam Bowie, but, as we all know, Michael Jordan was still on the board.

To think: the Pacers could have had Michael Jordan if they hadn't pined for the services of Tom Owens. Babe Ruth for "No, No, Nanette" sounds like an even swap by comparison. (Hell, Sam Bowie for Tom Owens would have been a steal.)

In the early years, the curse of Tom Owens reared its head on the nights of the draft lottery. In '83, the Pacers should have had the first pick, but Houston tanked the last few games of the regular season. The Rockets won a coin flip and got Ralph Sampson -- say what you will, he led the team to an NBA Final -- while the Pacers landed Steve Stipanovich. The following year the Pacers were due to claim the top pick, but David Stern picked the Knicks' envelope out of a hopper -- to this day, Hoosiers swear it was rigged. New York got Patrick Ewing. Indiana got Wayman Tisdale, who turned out to be a better jazz musician than basketball player. As for Stipanovich, a rare knee injury forced him out of basketball after five seasons and by the time he turned 30, he was running an alfalfa farm in Oregon. Really.

Not that "Stipo" was alone. Medical conditions are a recurring theme in the Pacers' doomed history. Before he became the skilled goateed announcer he is today, Clark Kellogg was a hell of a power forward for Indiana. Unfortunately his knees were held together by string, glue and popsicle sticks, and he played his last NBA game at age 25. Likewise, two seasons after he made the All-Star team for the first time, center Rik Smits was out of basketball, his feet worn and torn by the rigors of the NBA. Then there's Chuck Person, who won the Rookie of the Year award and then contracted a mysterious disease that seemed to make him genetically incapable of passing the ball to his teammates. Such is the power of the Curse of Tom Owens.

The Pacers even have their own Bill Buckner moment. In '99, Indiana was up 91-88 against the hated Knicks in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals. With six seconds separating the Pacers from victory, New York forward Larry Johnson took an inbound pass and shot. Inexplicably, Indiana's Antonio Davis tapped Johnson on the arm. The shot swished, Davis was whistled for a brain-lock foul. Johnson made the free throw to complete a four-point play. The Knicks won the game and the series.

When the team's dowdy old home, Market Square Arena, was imploded in '99 -- turned, quite literally, into a parking lot -- Pacers' faithful thought the Curse of Tom Owens, too, would disappear into thin air. The new arena, Conseco Fieldhouse, was a basketball shrine that would surely inaugurate a new era. Wrong. The Pacers reached the Finals that season but lost to the Lakers. Larry Bird then resigned as the team's coach, and the team backslid under the squirrelly successor, Isiah Thomas.

The Pacers were tantalizingly close to reversing the curse last spring. Under a competent new coach, Rick Carlisle, the team finished the '03-04 regular season with the best record in the NBA. With the East diluted and the Lakers' locker room more contentious than a Disney shareholders meeting, the Pacers' prospects were looking good. Again, disaster. In the waning moments of the crucial Game 6 of the Eastern Conference, the Pacers were leading Detroit. Ron Artest -- the Pacers' answer to Oil Can Boyd, come to think of it -- blew a gasket. After taking a cheap elbow in the groin from Detroit's Rip Hamilton, Artest retaliated by butting Hamilton in the face. Naturally the refs saw the response and not the original act and cited Artest for a technical foul. The Pistons took the lead, won the game, and, of course, humiliated the Lakers in the Finals.

took me a while to complete...

1998-2000 pacers

Starting lineup

ROOKIES

BENCH

and HEAD COACH

Last edited by boombaby_rm31; 12-19-2009 at 12:39 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby_rm31 For This Useful Post:

im a big card and autograph collector, i'll post ip sigs and stuff from time to time

I have never seen that Foster card before. What set and year is it from? Thx.

I think the Foster is a 1999-00 Fleer Focus Fresh Ink auto.

Some day I should take some pictures of my Pacers card collection. I have a decent amount of autos from players throughout the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    I think the Foster is a 1999-00 Fleer Focus Fresh Ink auto.

Some day I should take some pictures of my Pacers card collection. I have a decent amount of autos from players throughout the years.

Hmmm. I think the Fresh Ink autos. were an insert set rather than a regular set.

1948 Leo "Crystal" Klier Bowman basketball card is the oldest basketball card I own. I have a 1934-36 baseball card though. I love the older cards like 60's and 70's like Pete Maravich, Abdul-Jabbar, Erving, Chamberlain and so on.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

anybody want to buy a Jamaal Tinsley lot for $5 shipped with cash?? If so, just PM me. I have 2 game-used jersey cards, 16 common cards, 2 rookie cards, and like 8-9 inserts and serial numbered cards and even a refractor...the #'ed cards are #'ed to like 150, 250, 300, etc...I know it's Tinsley, but it's a better deal than you'll get on eBay, that's for sure!!

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a Peyton Manning autograph football and around 100 autographs of college coaches such as Izzo and Coach K and Mack Brown and Lane kiffin. and I also have a triple jersey of Danny Granger numbered out of 50.

Hey fellow PD members...

Just wondering if anyone has any Gold Label Finals game jersey cards of the Pacers. I would love to knock out a few more. Also looking for Pacers Topps Total gold cards /10. The pics aren't good but here's what I have:

wow never knew boomer has a card.

anyway, this is my favorite card right now.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby_rm31 View Post
    wow never knew boomer has a card.

anyway, this is my favorite card right now.

Nice!

I just moved to the Indianapolis area this past summer and am into autographs and cards. Do any of the Pacers do appearances around the city? Also, what is the best way to try for autographs from the visiting teams?

I'm pretty new to the Indy area and collect autographs and some other memorbilia. Anyone know if the Pacer players do any public appearances. Also, is there a good way to try and get autographs from the visiting teams?

Finally got some scans of some of my Pacers stuff:

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/...%20collection/

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    Finally got some scans of some of my Pacers stuff:
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/...%20collection/
    Nice, but that Reggie card looks to have the worst auto I've ever seen. Obviously I wouldn't expect his full name but the number is terrible.

Most of his autographs on cards are pretty rushed. Check out the one someone else posted on this page earlier. Seeing as I try and spend little money on my collection, I'm just happy to have it (was the most expensive card I've bought in all of those scans).