Thread: Does the regular season record mean anything

Default Does the regular season record mean anything

Before you answer, let me set this up.

I am specifically asking if a good regular season in and of itself is an accomplishment.

In other words if the Pacers finish the regular season let's say 60-22. , Does a great regular season mean anything to you as a fan.

If the Pacers lose in the first round will this season be no better than any of the past three.

I know, I know the playoffs are what really matters, I know that.

Is a great regular an accomplishment in and of itself.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Does the regular season record mean anything

It certainly meant a lot to me when I was buying season tickets! Who wants to pay to see a bad season? A bad season can be erased if the team does well in the playoffs but the reverse is definately not true.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that the regular season record does mean a lot and even if they were bounced in the first round it would still be a good season. I'd be disappointed but anytime a team wins 60 games they've had a great regular season.

It's more important to consider how the games were won. A lot of teams at the top will have a great home record but struggle on the road or they didn't play that well against the other conference. But, when a team has a balanced record like the Pacers, Kings, and T-Wolves it puts signifigance behind it.

I believe one of those three teams will be crowned NBA Champs because they've been able to consistently win games on the road and against tough opponents throughout the regular season.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo

I think it is important.

First of all it lays down the foundation of wining. It establishes you as a team to be reconed with and even if you suffer the ignomy of loosing to Denver in the first round, it puts you in position for the next year.

We have a very young team who is learning to be winers not just take the regular season for granted. This will help us down the line no matter what happens this year in the playoffs.

Plus far more often than not having the best record does translate into post season success. Didnt it say (in the pacers.com article or somewhere) that 6 of the last 10 team who had the best record made the finals? Even if you "lose the advantage" by losing one of your home games you have been wining on the road all year anyway and you know you can do it.

I know there is concern with the Cavs but remember they are expending a ton of emotional energy right now on their playoff seeding. We have the luxury of doing exactly what we have done all season.

Once the playoffs start these lesser seeds who will have done everything they could to make the playoffs will not have the same kind of intensity that we will after doing the same thing all year.

They have already started playing playoff basketball where we are still playing our regular season rotations. Our rotations will tighten and theirs will be what they are playing right now.

So yes I think it is important. Even if we lose in the first round it is still a great foundation for how we should approach each and every year.

I agree. I think it means something and it's an accomplishment. Of course, you can get spoiled as we might be, and let a first round exit diminish it. You get close to 60 wins and you've done a lot of things right.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

It counts for something - even if you bow out of the playoffs early it's an indication that you're on the right track.

But if you win 60 two years in a row and bow out early then it's meaningless, or close to it. That was my feeling with George Karl's Seattle teams.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO, any team that wins 60 games and bows out in round 1 is a HUGE dissapointment.

I dont see where id find any positives whatsoever. Thats 60 wins of hard work all for nothing.

Id MUCH rather win 40 games and go to round 2 than win 60 and get bounced early.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Its important to play good during the season and get a good seed, but we all know what can happen to you in the playoffs, its a whole new season

It only means something in terms of seeding in the playoffs. But yeah, to win 60 games and to come up anything short of a finals appearance would be an extreme letdown.

It means something in the sense that we have good playoff positioning. Other than that, it is squat. Playing in the playoffs well is the more important aspect of the season. No one remembers the season like they do the playoffs.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Let me ask it again this way:

If there was some national or NBA tragedy and the 2004 playoffs were cancelled completely. Does that increase the importance of the regular season?

Mood

Let me ask it again this way:

If there was some national or NBA tragedy and the 2004 playoffs were cancelled completely. Does that increase the importance of the regular season?
    Well in that case, I'd assume the team with the best record would be handed the title, so yeah!

Not much of a consolation. Just ask the Montreal Expos.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I am a little frustrated because I have not done a good job of putting in words what I am getting at.

Southside_Pacer

Yeah, the regular season does mean a lot to me. The reason being is that you've got to be consistant in the regular season if you really want to put yourself in position in the second season; the playoffs.

Being a possible Central Divison Champion is also a pretty nice capper on a year. We've also been winning on the road, against our own conference, and winning against the west.

The Pacers have been a model of consistancy, and that's something we can all be proud of.