View Poll Results: Which is better?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tophat Publishing

4 17.39%
  • Top Hat Publishing

19 82.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Feedback... Everybody Respond!

Default Need Feedback... Everybody Respond!

So my wife and I are starting a publishing company. I'll make it real short:

Top Hat Publishing? or
    Tophat Publishing?

I like "Tophat" but my wife has this crazy idea that a publishing company should use words that are actually in the dictionary. I agree, in theory, but I just think Tophat looks cooler. Plus, you can say "To Phat" when you feel like it.

What do you think?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Need Feedback... Everybody Respond!

I vote Top Hat.

What are you going to publish? My posts are copyrighted, so don't get any ideas!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

I'd compromise with "TopHat". Rhymes with "MagicRat"..............

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd compromise with "TopHat". Rhymes with "MagicRat"..............
    Well, the logo is in all caps, which makes it hard.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    I vote Top Hat.

What are you going to publish? My posts are copyrighted, so don't get any ideas!
    Why would I publish yours when I could publish mine?

Pretty much anything.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Top Hat looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Well, the logo is in all caps, which makes it hard.

TOP HAT and TOPHAT weren't even listed as options!........

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've got a notion to edit the poll and add them.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

You need to go to the United States Patent and Trademark Office - uspto.gov - and look for any trademarks using those names to make sure they are not taken.

And by the way, the reason there has been a 20 year trend of companies that make up words for thier names (like Initech) is to avoid trademark infringment. Don't do all the work just to get socked with a stack of legal bills.

If there is another Tophat or Top Hat, even if it is "Top Hat Ice Cream Parlor" they WILL find you and challenge you in court.

Do the research and avoid a hassle by using something unique and not registered.

Zesty

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    If there is another Tophat or Top Hat, even if it is "Top Hat Ice Cream Parlor" they WILL find you and challenge you in court.
    Wait, what? You've got to be kidding me. How could that possibly be true? As long as the names aren't too close to being the same, I don't see what grounds Top Hat Ice Cream Parlor would have to sue Top Hat Publishing for the name.

I when with Tophat because it can be read two ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    Wait, what? You've got to be kidding me. How could that possibly be true? As long as the names aren't too close to being the same, I don't see what grounds Top Hat Ice Cream Parlor would have to sue Top Hat Publishing for the name.
    Remember that what is legal and what lawyers will try to do to you are two different things. If there is a Tophat channel or a Tophat Records, you're coming REALLY close to the publishing world. I used "Ice Cream Parlor" to make a point - even if they don't have a case, you'll still have to pay legal fees to fight it.

I did it for you. It appears "Tophat Publishing" was registered in 2001, but later abandoned in 2002. I don't know the legal status of the trademark (meaning I don't know if it is available or not) at this stage.

There were 75 hits for all registered trademarks using either Tophat or Top Hat:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...h=Submit+Query

Why Top Hat/Tophat/TOP HAT/TOPHAT?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

There's 150 Top Hat Something companies registered in the tri-state (Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky) area. None of them are publishing-related.

What's it cost to register a federal trademark?

EDIT: A lot. We're gonna be a smalltime operation for the forseeable future.

Enjoy your time at PD!

What's it cost to register a federal trademark?
    $325 per "class" of goods and/or services.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Top Hat, definitely. Tophat just looks weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    $325 per "class" of goods and/or services.
    Yeah, I couldn't tell what that means. It's referring to movies, tshirts, action figures and so on, right?

I think I'd only need one "class" of goods/services: the company logo. I don't care if other people make shirts that say TopHat on them. Is that right?

Is the 325 a per-year thing?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Here's the prelim logo. The spacing on the top will have to be adjusted, but we'll get there.

Enjoy your time at PD!

How about TopHat?
    Hey, I could go for that one......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Yeah, I couldn't tell what that means. It's referring to movies, tshirts, action figures and so on, right?

I think I'd only need one "class" of goods/services: the company logo. I don't care if other people make shirts that say TopHat on them. Is that right?

Is the 325 a per-year thing?
    The "international class" thing is a little wierd. For instance, everything computer related is in class 42. So even if you build custom hardware AND build websites (what I would think are 2 classes) you only pay the one fee.

BUT - if you build websites and market a clothing line, tose are two different class numbers.

Listen, I really could be wrong here. I haven't gone through the process personally, even though I should take my own advise and do it. What I know is what I've basically overheard while working at an Intellectual Property law firm.

Why not just go with Toophat?
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

I think you should go with To Phat. But then, Graham would come in and say it should be Too Phat.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I think you should go with To Phat. But then, Graham would come in and say it should be Too Phat.
    You think you're funny, but you're not.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Exclamation Re: Need Feedback... Everybody Respond!

Tophat should be pronounced Toofat