Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Are the Pacers the best team in the league defensively at the 2, 3 and 4 positions? Usually where 75 percent of scoring comes from. Is there a better trio defensively than JO, Ron and Jack in the league?

    I think the only team that can challenge them would be Detroit and maybe the Spurs....maybe. Manu being the weakest link.

    I have been thinking about this since Reggies retirement.... wondering just how much better our D is going to be with Jack in his place. How much less help D we are going to have to play.

    Anyone in the league better?

  2. #2
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    We'll find out if these guys ever play on the floor together for a whole season.

  3. #3
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    I think so. Detroit has the best defensive frontcourt by far, but you take Ben out and replace him with Rip, they go down quite a bit.

    With both SA and the Pistons, the difference is Jack. Even with my doubts that he'll have problems playing in O'Neill's system, he's still better than Rip or Manu.

    The problem is, I disagree with the premise that those positions are the most important. Defense starts with your point guard, and ends with your center. If those positions aren't solid, everything else suffers.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  4. #4
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    I thought JO was our center...?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  5. #5
    canyoufeelit
    Guest

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Ginobili, Bowen, and Duncan or Hamilton, Prince, and R. Wallace are better. I tend to think both Ginobili and Rip Hamilton are better defenders than Stephen Jackson, though their defensive focus usually doesn't come until it's crunch time. When Rip defends on the ball he is pretty darn tough and the same goes for Ginobili

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,924

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Rip physically really shouldn't be a good defender. He isn't as gifted as Sheed, Prince or Ben on that end of the floor. He doesn't have the wingspan, the lateral quickness, or the bulk of a prototypical great defender.

    However, after ben, nobody on the pistons tries harder on defense than Rip. He's as aggressive a defender as and SG in the NBA. He'd rather foul out than allow his man to blow by him on the perimeter (and often did this year), and I that's something I admire.

    Is rip a great defender? No. However, he's above average, because he plays his *** off when he's being counted on to stop somebody.

    The most shocking moment of the playoffs last year was when Rip went to Larry before and asked to guard Dwayne Wade, which is something you NEVER would have thought you'd hear from a kid who played zero defense before he was traded here. It takes serious guts to ask to be put in that spotlight.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7
    PCC87
    Guest

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    I think that the Pacers are the best defensive team in the league.I mean out entire starting five is awesome at defense.I think Foster would be our weakest link.This is if DD doesn't resign.

  8. #8
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tend to think both Ginobili and Rip Hamilton are better defenders than Stephen Jackson

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought JO was our center...?
    That would be Foster.... although JO does play many minutes a game at the 5. He just does not start there.

  10. #10
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be Foster.... although JO does play many minutes a game at the 5. He just does not start there.
    Now, see, wouldn't it be nice if Jay could just drop in, push a button, and solve this whole issue for us?

    [edit] Maybe it could work like smilies. Somebody could just type in :JOisa5:, and on posting it would be subsititued with Jay's analysis.

    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  11. #11
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Jack's an underrated defender at the 2. He'll have problems with Wade and Iverson, but he did great against all of the big 2s. He did a pretty good job on Rip, too.

    Jermaine's the weakest link of those 3. And he's a pretty good defender.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. #12
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Jackson may be a better overall defender than Ginobli or Hamilton, but I'm more worried about whether he can actually guard them and less about the other 27 starting SG's in the league. I don't think he can.

    IndyToad
    Slacking

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Can anyone in the league consistently shut down Rip or Manu? No. All you want to do is contain them and make them work just as hard guarding you.

  14. #14
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone in the league consistently shut down Rip or Manu? No. All you want to do is contain them and make them work just as hard guarding you.
    Don't let that stop the sourpuss attitude permeating across PD.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't let that stop the sourpuss attitude permeating across PD.
    hehe.... good to see you again Hicks... been a while.

  16. #16
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't let that stop the sourpuss attitude permeating across PD.

    It's driving me insane.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    You've already named the two teams that are in the Pacers class right now.

    Detroit and the Spurs are weaker at the two, Indy's weaker at the 4.

    Indy

    SG - Good
    SF - Outstanding (when he's on the floor)
    PF - Decent

    Detroit

    SG - Decent
    SF - Excellent
    PF - Outstanding

    Spurs

    SG - Mediocre
    SF - Outstanding (even though I hate HOW he plays)
    PF - Outstanding

    But Detroit's team defense is the best in the league while Artest is, IMO, hands down the best perimeter defender in the league. I can't pick between 'em - all I know is that when those three teams are 100% they're the best defensive teams in the league.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  18. #18
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,754

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    Quote Originally Posted by PCC87
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Foster would be our weakest link.This is if DD doesn't resign.
    Are you forgetting point guard. Foster in a lot of ways is a better defender than J.O. They are just completely different defenders, I could argue either way and make a solid argument.


    And yes J.O. is the Pacers defensive center. At least when jeff is playing with him.


    Rim, I don't know who you have playing what position. Ben is a center ? right and Sheed is the power forward.

    Do you have Jeff playing power forward or center.

    Is TD a center of power forward and are you saying Horry is PF or are you going with Nazr.


    One thing that might set the Pacers a part at those three positions is that the backups are excellent defenders also. Fred at SG, JJ, Granger, or Jax at sf and either J.O or Jeff at backup power forward when Pollard, Dale or DH come in.


    I just hope people aren't discounting Jeff's defense once again.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Are the Pacers the best defensively at.....

    It's all so dependent on matchups and who's on the floor, that it's a hard argument to settle (or even argue). For example, Rasheed Wallace gives Jermaine way more problems than either Duncan or Big Ben. In stretches over the past couple years, it looked like Duncan didn't stand a chance against JO.

    Now, if we could say we were in the same realm when it came to point guard play and team rebounding ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •