Thread: Bruno's_mailbag: Could Artest Emerge as Team Leader?

Default Bruno's_mailbag: Could Artest Emerge as Team Leader?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050801.html

Could Artest Emerge as Team Leader?

Monday, Aug. 1, 2005
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com. Brunnerís opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.

Q. What are the chances that Ron Artest will emerge as the team's principal leader instead of Jermaine O'Neal? In my estimation, Ron has a much stronger personality than does Jermaine and obviously is doing everything he can to cleanse his soul and reputation of last Fall's mess, such as playing in the summer league and working with the rookies and free agents. He also is just as skilled and talented as Jermaine and actually has more on-the-floor energy. Emerging as a leader could also help to settle him down and cement his future with the Pacers as another Hall-of-Fame shoe-in. I know, by Larry Bird's comments and actions, he has a great deal of confidence in Ron. (From Tony in Lakeville, Ind.)

A. Heading into the first season of the post-Reggie era, the issue of team leadership is a hot one, not only among fans but with the franchise itself. Larry Bird has challenged O'Neal to step forward into a full leadership role this season, on the court and in the locker room. It's a role O'Neal has respectfully and willingly yielded to Miller in recent years while preparing himself for the day he would step forward. That day has arrived, and O'Neal appears well-equipped to lead. Not only is he one of the best big men in the game, he is a thoughtful, sincere man who isn't afraid to voice his opinion. He wants the responsibility that comes with leadership, and that's no small factor.

Artest, on the other hand, has always gone his own way. Much quieter in the locker room, more of a lone-wolf personality, Artest speaks through his actions. His summer outreach to undrafted rookies and free agents isn't a new sign of emerging leadership qualities. He's been doing that for years because he relates well to underdogs, appreciates their desire to get into the NBA and wants to help however he can. He has pledged to be a better teammate this season, to sacrifice individual glory for the benefit of the group. If that happens, there's every chance other players will begin to follow his lead.

Therein lies the core of the issue of leadership. Leaders aren't appointed. They emerge on their own. Ultimately, the players in the locker room will decide whose voice will be heard. The evolution of the Pacers' leadership structure will be one of the major issues of this season, but it depends as much on the followers as those who would lead.
    ----------------------------

This is the exact point I made a couple weeks ago.

Default Re: Bruno's_mailbag: Could Artest Emerge as Team Leader?

It helps if you your point guard is a leader or at least one of the leaders on the court obviously, but also off the court.

Actually I think Jeff Foster is a vocal leader. He might not be a good enough player to be the leader, but he is a pretty vocal guy. AJ is also a leader, in fact if he were a better player, and the starting point guard, he would be "the leader on this team" Other players respond well to him

From what little I know the Pacers have a lot of quiet guys on the team. Bender, Cro, Artest, Jamaal,

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What's in bold says it all.

Zesty

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It helps if you your point guard is a leader or at least one of the leaders on the court obviously, but also off the court.
    It'll take awhile, but I think we can sort of expect this from Saras. Once he finds his NBA legs and the team buys into his abilities, it definitely seems like he has the personality to operate in this capacity, much moreso than Tinsley does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    It'll take awhile, but I think we can sort of expect this from Saras. Once he finds his NBA legs and the team buys into his abilities, it definitely seems like he has the personality to operate in this capacity, much moreso than Tinsley does.
    I'm hoping for this as well.

I think Jack is going to be the leader but thats just me.

I don't expect Ron to ever be the leader of the Pacers. But I do know that the effort, energy and confidence in which Ron plays does rub off on his teammates in a positive way.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ron was an effective leader last season. He led a bunch of Pacers into the stands and to some of the longest suspensions in history. What more do you need to know about his leadership potential? He was like the Pied Piper.

Now, whether he has some type of internal moral compass to lead the team in the right way or wrong way is an entirely different question altogether.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Ron, but Bruno is correct. Leaders aren't appointed they emerge. JO is the teams new leader and will be a great one at that. Ronnie still has something to prove in my humble opinion. I think he is one of the best players in the game I just want to see how much he has matured for myself. I have heard the stories but it is the same stuff I heard before last season. He will put the team before himself, he will control his temper, then a few games into the season he asks for a couple of months off to promote a record. I think he will be a more mature player this season. He better be or the comish will have his ***. I believe in Ron and trust Bird when he says he sees improvement. The sad part is he already has a rep. and I will hate to see him punished for what he did in the past. I don't even want to think about ESPN or ESPENEWS the day after he gets a tech. Ron did show more maturity last season though. After Ben pushed him he just walked away, and that was great to see. What happened after that was not pretty as we all know. I did not write this to argue with anyone I trust in the new and improved Ron, I just want to see him for myself.

Tinsley quiet? That must be a joke. I can always hear Tinsley on the court yelling on TV.

Tinsley may not be a leader type, but quiet...far from that.

Jack is a pretty vocal guy, I don't know if I'd call him a leader, but I think he is a sort of 'glue,' most the guys seem to like him, for the most part.

If Saras ever becomes good enough to start, he will be our leader.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    From what I have heard, Tinsley is a very quiet type of guy.

It is possible to be a introvert and just be wild on the court

coughartestcough
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

I really don't see our team that way. We pretty much have the same indentity as the Pistons. As much as people lean toward Big Ben or Chauncey as to being the leader of the Pistons, you really can't exactly point a finger on it. Our team has a lot of people with strong personalities. JO, Ron, Jack, Jamaal, AJ, Freddy they've all shown it in the past, heck even Scott Pollard has it in him and on the court our team is really well balanced. Not to mention we're adding practically European basketball's Jesus Christ. And being so, it's really harder for one to just stand-out unlike those Jordan, Shaq-Kobe, Bird and Magic-led teams where the talent, personality and desposition clearly seperated them from the team as the de facto leader. I think that's why we are so good, coz everyone has roles and abilities that chip in pretty well into a potent balanced attack, anyone can step up and lead on any given day.

Rick Carlisle is our leader. And as much as I love Ron and believe he has a strong enough personality to qualify as a leader, I think we'd be better off only having Rick as our recognized leader. I've heard of our locker room being divided in the past and certain players feeling being blamed by other players and what not, so I guess it's also for this reason given the personalities our players have, that we're better off not having that so-called appointed player leader. It should be easier to handle egos this way too. Do I make any sense? I hope so. But if you insist on a player leading the team, my vote goes to... i still can't vote- well, anyone ofcourse except Jonathan Bender.