• Quicken

3 16.67%
  • Money

1 5.56%
  • Some other program

2 11.11%
  • Paper and pencil!

4 22.22%
  • You're supposed to balance a checkbook?

8 44.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What program do you use to track your finances?

Hybrid View

Default What program do you use to track your finances?

I'm interested in seeing what people have to say here. I've been using Quicken2000 since roughly 2000. I recently got a free copy of MS Money 2004 Standard, and it's pretty decent. It's a lot better than Quicken2000, but I kinda suspect that's because it's 4 years newer. I still prefer a lot of the Quicken look and feel. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth shelling out cash to buy a new version of Quicken.

What do you use? What do you like?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

And yes, this is in the wrong forum.

What's the right one? It's not news and politics. It's not shout box. It's not entertainment.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do it the old paper and pencil way.

I don't even bother, all my money goes to the Pacers anyway.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I use Wife version 1.0.

Next time she lurks on here and sees this, I'm probably in big trouble.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use Wife version 1.0.
    You stole my answer.

My wife and I are both fairly fiscally conservative. Neither one of use really likes to spend big money unless we have to. That makes things a lot easier in a marriage. We have never ever had a fight over money.

Generally, though, we just work off of a cash basis. If the checking and savings accounts have more in them this month than last month, that's good. If they don't, why not? Obviously, there's some planning involved when we know there's big expenses (car, vacation, whatever) on the horizon. And we know about how much our expenses should be each month, so we note fluctuations there, as well. It might seem a little seat-of-the-pants, but it works well, for us.

I tried doing a budget, and categorizing expenses once, using Quicken. I gave up. Too much work for too little gain.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I use Wife version 1.0.

Next time she lurks on here and sees this, I'm probably in big trouble.
    I use this too, but am always checking around for the newest versions, seems like there are several different vendors that provide quite a bit of variety too.
    "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

--Jack Nicholson as Colonel Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men

Quote Originally Posted by MarionDeputy
    I use this too, but am always checking around for the newest versions, seems like there are several different vendors that provide quite a bit of variety too.

As for me:
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Jay aren't you some sort of accountant? And you use Wife version 1.0?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    Jay aren't you some sort of accountant? And you use Wife version 1.0?
    Yeah, but I'm the CPA that isn't good with details.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Shout Box. If it doesn't fit in any of the others, this is the place it goes.

Money 2003. I have used Money since 99 and it works really well for me. I need to buy the upgrade

I take that back, I've used Money since 97

I used Money 2000 and loved it - but I could NEVER make that motherf******* balance (Sorry to intimate such a strong word, but you can't imagin the hours I spent trying to make that thing balance). I switched to Quicken 2002 earlier this year and I like it OK. I find it a little harder to use, but it balances. It also lets you balance your account off your online bank statement, which is sweet.

I'd love to find the perfect program, but I haven't found it yet.

btw, good topic Anthem and I look forward to hearing about what other people use.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

I've never balanced my checkbook once in my life, maybe that is not very clear, I've never attempted to balance it. And I've never once kept a log of the checks I write, you know that little register thingy they send you with your checks I've never attempted to use it once. I've never used an online service either. I just write checks as needed and whatever balance the bank tells me I have is what I have.

I've never been overdrawn and never had a problem. And I don't plan on changing my approach.

I know friends who spend what seems like hours every month on their "checkbook" and I just shake my head as I enjoy watching NBA basketball.

I'm I crazy?

I don't tell many people I do this because I don't want to hear a sermon about all the bad things that could happen. But I'd be happy to read someone try to convince me

I figure I've saved 200 hours over the last 15 years of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I'm I crazy?

I don't tell many people I do this because I don't want to hear a sermon about all the bad things that could happen. But I'd be happy to read someone try to convince me
    I don't think you're crazy at all if you feel as good about it as you seem to.

I find keeping close track of my Money, even though it does consume time, is so massively stress relieving for me and my family, its totally worth it. It also keeps me motivated to keep sending those payments to the IRA that would otherwise be easy to skip.

I don't make a great deal, working for the county - and my wife left her teaching job to stay home with the two kids. Having a sense of financial control, even though our belts stay pretty tight, is really therapeutic to our marriage and personal lives.

If you're doing OK without it and not overspending, you sound pretty sane to me.

We should start a "living below your means thread".

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    I find keeping close track of my Money, even though it does consume time, is so massively stress relieving for me and my family, its totally worth it. It also keeps me motivated to keep sending those payments to the IRA that would otherwise be easy to skip.
    The IRA, huh? Don't tell Able.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    The IRA, huh? Don't tell Able.
    D'oh!

That would be the "Roth" type IRA, not the "Michael Collins" type.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    D'oh!

That would be the "Roth" type IRA, not the "Michael Collins" type.
    Oh, my bad. That makes sense. I thought you meant the IRS. There's a lot of similarities between the groups!

Enjoy your time at PD!

Zesty

Right now I just use Excel. About once a week I'll input all of my credits and debits, include notes for each item to give me an idea of what it was, and once a month I reconcile it with my bank statement. I have Quicken and want to use it, but I've been having issues trying to access my bank accounts online. Hoping to rectify that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    Right now I just use Excel. About once a week I'll input all of my credits and debits, include notes for each item to give me an idea of what it was, and once a month I reconcile it with my bank statement. I have Quicken and want to use it, but I've been having issues trying to access my bank accounts online. Hoping to rectify that soon.
    I actually use Excel as well, primarily to compare the weeks expenses with my income (or lack thereof) and also some budgeting. I mainly use Money to enter in ATM withdrawals, debit card uses and checks written. Then I go out to my Online banking site and download the transactions right to Money.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

UB, that's actually not a bad idea.

Its kind of what I do, but I do keep a log, and I make sure the statement they send me is correct.

Maybe i could even stop doing that...

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just use Excel...

If I had any finances to keep track of I'd probably use Quicken. Did I happen to mention that minimum wage sucks?

Quickbooks Pro 2003

I've used MS Money for personal and I had intended to get Quicken for personal a while back but just never got around to it. For the personal checking I tend to use UB's method... but I don't write a lot of personal checks so it isn't that hard to keep track. Just have to remember when I am going to write a check that I need to make a deposit of a little bit more. When the statement comes I give it a look to make sure everything is what it should be.

And the checks that automatically make a carbon copy are very nice for people who do like UB and myself.

Business checking is a whole different ball of wax. No cutting corners there.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    but I don't write a lot of personal checks so it isn't that hard to keep track. Just have to remember when I am going to write a check that I need to make a deposit of a little bit more.

-Bball
    First, what business are you in? Do you own your own company?

Second, it's not the writing checks that makes things tough, its the debit card that keeps things moving in the acct (which makes it necessary for me to keep track of the money, especially since two of us use the account).