View Poll Results: Tool of choice?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quicken

    3 16.67%
  • Money

    1 5.56%
  • Some other program

    2 11.11%
  • Paper and pencil!

    4 22.22%
  • You're supposed to balance a checkbook?

    8 44.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: What program do you use to track your finances?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default What program do you use to track your finances?

    I'm interested in seeing what people have to say here. I've been using Quicken2000 since roughly 2000. I recently got a free copy of MS Money 2004 Standard, and it's pretty decent. It's a lot better than Quicken2000, but I kinda suspect that's because it's 4 years newer. I still prefer a lot of the Quicken look and feel. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth shelling out cash to buy a new version of Quicken.

    What do you use? What do you like?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #2
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    And yes, this is in the wrong forum.

    What's the right one? It's not news and politics. It's not shout box. It's not entertainment.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  3. #3
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    I do it the old paper and pencil way.

  4. #4
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    I don't even bother, all my money goes to the Pacers anyway.

  5. #5
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    I use Wife version 1.0.


    Next time she lurks on here and sees this, I'm probably in big trouble.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  6. #6
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,630

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use Wife version 1.0.
    You stole my answer.

    My wife and I are both fairly fiscally conservative. Neither one of use really likes to spend big money unless we have to. That makes things a lot easier in a marriage. We have never ever had a fight over money.

    Generally, though, we just work off of a cash basis. If the checking and savings accounts have more in them this month than last month, that's good. If they don't, why not? Obviously, there's some planning involved when we know there's big expenses (car, vacation, whatever) on the horizon. And we know about how much our expenses should be each month, so we note fluctuations there, as well. It might seem a little seat-of-the-pants, but it works well, for us.

    I tried doing a budget, and categorizing expenses once, using Quicken. I gave up. Too much work for too little gain.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  7. #7
    IMPD Officer MarionDeputy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use Wife version 1.0.


    Next time she lurks on here and sees this, I'm probably in big trouble.
    I use this too, but am always checking around for the newest versions, seems like there are several different vendors that provide quite a bit of variety too.
    "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

    --Jack Nicholson as Colonel Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men

  8. #8
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarionDeputy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use this too, but am always checking around for the newest versions, seems like there are several different vendors that provide quite a bit of variety too.




    As for me:
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  9. #9
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Jay aren't you some sort of accountant? And you use Wife version 1.0?

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jay aren't you some sort of accountant? And you use Wife version 1.0?
    Yeah, but I'm the CPA that isn't good with details.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Shout Box. If it doesn't fit in any of the others, this is the place it goes.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Money 2003. I have used Money since 99 and it works really well for me. I need to buy the upgrade

    I take that back, I've used Money since 97

  13. #13
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    I used Money 2000 and loved it - but I could NEVER make that motherf******* balance (Sorry to intimate such a strong word, but you can't imagin the hours I spent trying to make that thing balance). I switched to Quicken 2002 earlier this year and I like it OK. I find it a little harder to use, but it balances. It also lets you balance your account off your online bank statement, which is sweet.

    I'd love to find the perfect program, but I haven't found it yet.

    btw, good topic Anthem and I look forward to hearing about what other people use.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  14. #14
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    I've never balanced my checkbook once in my life, maybe that is not very clear, I've never attempted to balance it. And I've never once kept a log of the checks I write, you know that little register thingy they send you with your checks I've never attempted to use it once. I've never used an online service either. I just write checks as needed and whatever balance the bank tells me I have is what I have.

    I've never been overdrawn and never had a problem. And I don't plan on changing my approach.

    I know friends who spend what seems like hours every month on their "checkbook" and I just shake my head as I enjoy watching NBA basketball.

    I'm I crazy?

    I don't tell many people I do this because I don't want to hear a sermon about all the bad things that could happen. But I'd be happy to read someone try to convince me

    I figure I've saved 200 hours over the last 15 years of my life

  15. #15
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm I crazy?

    I don't tell many people I do this because I don't want to hear a sermon about all the bad things that could happen. But I'd be happy to read someone try to convince me
    I don't think you're crazy at all if you feel as good about it as you seem to.

    I find keeping close track of my Money, even though it does consume time, is so massively stress relieving for me and my family, its totally worth it. It also keeps me motivated to keep sending those payments to the IRA that would otherwise be easy to skip.

    I don't make a great deal, working for the county - and my wife left her teaching job to stay home with the two kids. Having a sense of financial control, even though our belts stay pretty tight, is really therapeutic to our marriage and personal lives.

    If you're doing OK without it and not overspending, you sound pretty sane to me.

    We should start a "living below your means thread".
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  16. #16
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find keeping close track of my Money, even though it does consume time, is so massively stress relieving for me and my family, its totally worth it. It also keeps me motivated to keep sending those payments to the IRA that would otherwise be easy to skip.
    The IRA, huh? Don't tell Able.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #17
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The IRA, huh? Don't tell Able.
    D'oh!

    That would be the "Roth" type IRA, not the "Michael Collins" type.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    D'oh!

    That would be the "Roth" type IRA, not the "Michael Collins" type.
    Oh, my bad. That makes sense. I thought you meant the IRS. There's a lot of similarities between the groups!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19
    Zesty
    Guest

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Right now I just use Excel. About once a week I'll input all of my credits and debits, include notes for each item to give me an idea of what it was, and once a month I reconcile it with my bank statement. I have Quicken and want to use it, but I've been having issues trying to access my bank accounts online. Hoping to rectify that soon.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right now I just use Excel. About once a week I'll input all of my credits and debits, include notes for each item to give me an idea of what it was, and once a month I reconcile it with my bank statement. I have Quicken and want to use it, but I've been having issues trying to access my bank accounts online. Hoping to rectify that soon.
    I actually use Excel as well, primarily to compare the weeks expenses with my income (or lack thereof) and also some budgeting. I mainly use Money to enter in ATM withdrawals, debit card uses and checks written. Then I go out to my Online banking site and download the transactions right to Money.

  21. #21
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    UB, that's actually not a bad idea.

    Its kind of what I do, but I do keep a log, and I make sure the statement they send me is correct.

    Maybe i could even stop doing that...

  22. #22
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,067
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    I just use Excel...

  23. #23
    Member pollardfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    If I had any finances to keep track of I'd probably use Quicken. Did I happen to mention that minimum wage sucks?

  24. #24
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,151

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quickbooks Pro 2003

    I've used MS Money for personal and I had intended to get Quicken for personal a while back but just never got around to it. For the personal checking I tend to use UB's method... but I don't write a lot of personal checks so it isn't that hard to keep track. Just have to remember when I am going to write a check that I need to make a deposit of a little bit more. When the statement comes I give it a look to make sure everything is what it should be.

    And the checks that automatically make a carbon copy are very nice for people who do like UB and myself.

    Business checking is a whole different ball of wax. No cutting corners there.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  25. #25
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: What program do you use to track your finances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but I don't write a lot of personal checks so it isn't that hard to keep track. Just have to remember when I am going to write a check that I need to make a deposit of a little bit more.

    -Bball
    First, what business are you in? Do you own your own company?

    Second, it's not the writing checks that makes things tough, its the debit card that keeps things moving in the acct (which makes it necessary for me to keep track of the money, especially since two of us use the account).
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •