Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

Kstat Jackson has a ring. And I don't get where your coming from with Artest. Ooh just hating on the pacers. I got it now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kstat Jackson has a ring. And I don't get where your coming from with Artest. Ooh just hating on the pacers. I got it now.

Jackson took less money to leave the world champions for the atlanta hawks.

Artest asked his bosses for a month off to promote his rap album. I'd say that both of those qualify as things they cared more about than winning a championship.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

It is entirely possible too that it is just newspaper speculation....and our interpretation of it.

Personally, I'll believe DD's gone when mgmnt says they have no interest or another teams has a press release saying he signed.

Tomorrow is the beginning of the end to all this speculation...and it can't come soon enough.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Jackson wanted more money than the Spurs originally offered.... and when San Antonio decided to go a different direction, Jack was left with the Hawks, who's offer wasn't as good as San Antonios original. It was negotiating & posteuring that bit Jack in ***....not that he chose Atlanta over San Antonio. He simply overvalued himself.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman
    Jackson wanted more money than the Spurs originally offered.... and when San Antonio decided to go a different direction, Jack was left with the Hawks, who's offer wasn't as good as San Antonios original. It was negotiating & posteuring that bit Jack in ***....not that he chose Atlanta over San Antonio. He simply overvalued himself.
    Again, as low as SA's offer was, he took less to go to the worst team in the NBA. If he cared about winning championships, money wouldn't even be an issue.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

As of now, Jackson is putting a championship first. His poor judgement was poor judgement, not an indication of what he was here to do. I could give two ****s what he felt in Atlanta.

Just providing a question to test LA, I wasn't asking the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Again, as low as SA's offer was, he took less to go to the worst team in the NBA. If he cared about winning championships, money wouldn't even be an issue.

He got "out-negotiated". He'd didn't pick Atlanta over San Antonio... Atlanta is what he was left with.... After the Spurs called his bluff and essentially pulled their offer.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan
    It would have been nice to re-sign him, but with Harrison's progress and DD's age it was not necessary. He came in and played an important role those few games after he was signed, but his age clearly showed as the year progressed. This will also make Rick play Harrison (we all know his love of veterans), and him be ready to play in the playoffs.
    Am I the only one that thinks that Harrison isn't ready to play 20-25 mpg this season?

I think he should take it slow....cuz he still makes those ticky-tacky stupid fouls that keep his minutes down. I really think we should take it slowly with the Hulk and have him play that many minutes...at least not for this year. We should be patient with him and wait til next year for him to properly take the role of Starting Center.

PacerGregg

Its those ticky tack fouls Hulk needs to learn they'll call. Its time for him to take the reins and let him help take us as far as we can go. Its the best for him and the team if he can go play and learn at the same time. By the end of the year he will have that much more experience and its not as if were going to lose with him in the line-up. So I am all for Hulk starting and showing us he can be the future Center we so desperately have needed.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'll sound off again, even though my better judgement is saying to let this go.

As a Pacers fan, everything that I've come to love about the franchise and how they hold together was embodied by Reggie Miller. He was the mold, and it's through Reggie-colored glasses that I see the world of the Pacers. Reggie had a big mouth when it came to taunting other teams, and he brought it on the floor. He never asked to be traded. He never demanded the spotlight. He never complained about his role. He never talked back to his "superiors".

And he never jumped ship to chase a ring. He honestly believed when he came to Indiana, that this would be his home and he would do everything in his power to bring the big banner to MSA - and then - CFH.

Through my Reggie-colored glasses, anything less than pure commitment, pure motivation, pure training and preparation, and a put up or shut up mentality is unacceptable. What does this have to do with Dale? I don't know, I was just responding to the inferrence that money could be more important to Dale than winning it all.

Finally, there are 30 teams in the league and each team has 15 players. There are 450 players total and only 15 get fitted each year. Whether or not you have a realistic shot with your current team is beside the point. It's all about desire to win and personal responsibility for winning to me. I don't care if you play for the Hawks, winning games should be your top priority, NO MATTER WHAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Just providing a question to test LA, I wasn't asking the rest of you.
    This is what you fail to realize when you make sensationalist statements about our team or players: It effects all of us here who read it, not just who you're talking to. This is especially true when you rip our franchise to defend yours.

Zesty

To be in the NBA as long as Dale has, I think you have to have an incredible drive toward being the best player you can be, and the reason you want to do that is so you can win as much as possible. I'm fully expecting him to be in Pacers blue and gold next season; I won't know what to think if he's not.

Zesty, could you please remove your Hitler Sig?

Sure it's a funny insult to the Pistons, but it's also an insult to the folks here who try to keep it a classy place where everyone is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Zesty, could you please remove your Hitler Sig?

Sure it's a funny insult to the Pistons, but it's also an insult to the folks here who try to keep it a classy place where everyone is welcome.
    I agree.

Zesty

Done. Wasn't sure how well it would go over. My apologies.

Thanks, brother.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, That right there is proof that PD is the best forum in the world.

That would have turned in to a big fight almost anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    I'll sound off again, even though my better judgement is saying to let this go.

As a Pacers fan, everything that I've come to love about the franchise and how they hold together was embodied by Reggie Miller. He was the mold, and it's through Reggie-colored glasses that I see the world of the Pacers. Reggie had a big mouth when it came to taunting other teams, and he brought it on the floor. He never asked to be traded. He never demanded the spotlight. He never complained about his role. He never talked back to his "superiors".

And he never jumped ship to chase a ring. He honestly believed when he came to Indiana, that this would be his home and he would do everything in his power to bring the big banner to MSA - and then - CFH.

Through my Reggie-colored glasses, anything less than pure commitment, pure motivation, pure training and preparation, and a put up or shut up mentality is unacceptable.
    NO!!

Sorry. I didn't want to digress. I wanted to let it go. But I can't.

Reggie never demanded the spotlight? Am I the only one who remembers "Hollywood' Reggie? The guy who wore black wraparound sunglasses, a blue and yellow bandana on his head, ala Randy Machoman Savage, and did the moonwalk to express his glee. Reggie insisted on the spotlight, but as he matured, he realized that wasn't where it was at.

Reggie may not have "asked" to be traded, but I remember he and his sister telling the national media that he suuuure would like to play in MSG. He would welcome the opportunity to play for a NY crowd. Now, that may have been contract posturing, but is that how a class act negotiates? He took his money convcerns to trhe media and tried to make the Pacer's brass look bad.This the same Reggie that threatened to sit out a year. This is the same Reggie who got into playoff trashtalking altercations that ended up with our team getting the short end of the stick in a loss.

Eventually, Reggie matured and learned to shut up and play the game and when he did, that's when I started cheering for him not because he was a Pacer, but because of who he became. This deification of Reggie drives me nuts sometimes. Great player, but man, he was an attention seeking, loud-mouth jerk to start his career.

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but man, I had to tell it like it is.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Well, if this is true, then I hope people quit complaining about the Pacers not wanting Dale back. It looks as if the Pacers made an offer. It's in Dale's hands now. I could really care less. The Pacers can't not get a player like Saras because they're worried about Dale Davis.

It's Dale's business. If he wants to play somewhere else, fine. This is his final contract, so if I were him, I'd be trying to get the most out of it as well. It is selfish for any fan to say that Dale should stay here and take less money. When you're in a position to get a few hundred thousand more a year and you're able to turn it down, then you can talk.

BTW, judging by some of these posts, one would think the Pacers are a 100% lock for the championship next year. I get tired of hearing "Dale should stay here for a ring, blah, blah, blah." Who knows where Dale will sign? He could sign with a team that is just as legit a contender as Indiana. Miami, Detroit, and SA are probably more legit title contenders than the Pacers. I believe that Dale is interested in all 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    NO!!

Sorry. I didn't want to digress. I wanted to let it go. But I can't.

Reggie never demanded the spotlight? Am I the only one who remembers "Hollywood' Reggie? The guy who wore black wraparound sunglasses, a blue and yellow bandana on his head, ala Randy Machoman Savage, and did the moonwalk to express his glee. Reggie insisted on the spotlight, but as he matured, he realized that wasn't where it was at.

Reggie may not have "asked" to be traded, but I remember he and his sister telling the national media that he suuuure would like to play in MSG. He would welcome the opportunity to play for a NY crowd. Now, that may have been contract posturing, but is that how a class act negotiates? He took his money convcerns to trhe media and tried to make the Pacer's brass look bad.This the same Reggie that threatened to sit out a year. This is the same Reggie who got into playoff trashtalking altercations that ended up with our team getting the short end of the stick in a loss.

Eventually, Reggie matured and learned to shut up and play the game and when he did, that's when I started cheering for him not because he was a Pacer, but because of who he became. This deification of Reggie drives me nuts sometimes. Great player, but man, he was an attention seeking, loud-mouth jerk to start his career.

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but man, I had to tell it like it is.

True, Reggie get's immortalized as some saint, who would have never thought about playing anywhere but Indiana.

He flirted with New York in 1996. I'm not saying he would have gone there, but he definitely flirted with the possibility. Any interest he had in going to New York was killed when New York went with the younger Allan Houston.

I believe that if the Pacers would have offered Reggie his fair market value in 2003, he would have been pissed off. New Jersey and Los Angeles were somewhat interested in Reg, but the Pacers offered him a much more sizable contract. I believe that if the Pacers offered him the minimum, he would have strongly considered playing for his buddy Byron Scott in New Jersey.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow...Some of you are really letting DD have it for being very very early in the actual negotiation phase. Maybe Dale is just testing the free agent waters to see what is out there...You can't do that if your name is on a piece of paper sitting on Donnie's desk, can you? Look at Mark Jackson, he got offered a pretty great deal at the end of his carrer. I'm sure Dale knows that this league is not flooded with Veteran 5's and there is a possibility that he could get one of those deals you just don't turn down.

Who is to say that when Dale gets all his feelers back, he won't take the Pacers offer? I have a feeling that if the offers he gets are in the ballpark of what the P's are offering....Dale is here another year.

Remember, Just because he turns down a deal today...doesnt mean he cant sign it tommorrow!

Mood

not re-signing Dale will be forgotten in a heartbeat once David Harrison shows you what he's been working on. it will be a blessing in disguise. Dale helped us big time given the timing of things last season with JO and Davids injuries. But that was that. Giving a lot of dough to a retiring PF shouldn't be one of our bigger grievances. losing DD -and in the event we do- JJ are, i think, losses we can stomach. shed off Cro's salary and let go of Pollard if there was a way... cutting JB now may be counter productive we should've let him go before last season. Sarunas is worth it!

Leave Reggie alone. The man was great, but nobody is perfect. I can't remember anyone else I can put in that category that played here. I wasn't born long enough to have seen the ABA Pacers so whatever. Reggie deserves every prop he got!

I have no problem with Dale if he takes a better offer, as long as he takes responsibility for his choice and doesn't blame God like somebody did.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Yeah, and reports also were that Sarunas had already signed with the Cavs, twice. Anything could still happen here.

I'm not ruling out getting Dale back, but it's looking bleak. I think we have the pieces to get someone capable of replacing him, anyhow. Maybe even someone whose legs will last all season...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?