Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    I saw this on Hoopshype.com today. From the Akron Beacon Journal. I don't have access here at work



    http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,616

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/...o/12269035.htm

    TALKIN' CAVS

    Many inquiries about Varejao

    • General manager Danny Ferry said the player most asked about in trades is Anderson Varejao. Ferry said he received a call ``almost every day'' about the 6-foot-11, 230-pound power forward. Other teams love Varejao's hustle and rebounding. Ferry loves those things, too, which is why Varejao probably isn't headed anywhere.

    • Along with coach Mike Brown, Ferry visited Drew Gooden at the forward's summer basketball camp to assure Gooden that they are not ``shopping him around the league.'' Ferry is smart enough not to promise Gooden that he'll never be traded -- but he wanted Gooden to know that the Cavaliers do have plans for him.

    • Brown is Gooden's seventh coach in four years. The Cavaliers hope that Brown's communication skills and his accent on defense can help Gooden, who has been defensively challenged in the past. Ferry points to Gooden being only 23 and coming off a season where he averaged a career-high 14.2 points and 9.2 rebounds as reason for optimism.

    • Despite all this, it would not be a shock if Gooden is traded. The Cavaliers know they need a defensive-minded power forward to play on the front line with Zydrunas Ilgauskas and LeBron James. One possibility would be to start Varejao and bring Gooden off the bench. But it's hard to know how Gooden would react to that, especially since he'll be a free agent at the end of the season -- meaning his playing time and stats will have a direct impact on his new contract.

    • The Cavaliers have three power forwards: Free-agent Donyell Marshall, Gooden and Varejao. They also have had some preliminary talks with 36-year-old Dale Davis, who is 6-foot-11 and can play power forward and backup center. It's believed Davis has turned down an offer worth at least $1.5 million from the Indiana Pacers. The Cavaliers need a backup center, but it's hard to know how serious they are about Davis.

    • There haven't been any recent contract talks with Robert ``Tractor'' Traylor.

    • The Cavaliers thought they had a very good chance to sign Sarunas Jasikevicius, the European star who took a three-year offer from the Pacers. Supposedly, the Cavaliers' offer was slightly more, but the 29-year-old Lithuanian preferred the Pacers because he thought they'd win sooner than the Cavaliers. He was the best man at Ilgauskas' wedding and seems to have had a better opportunity to start here but still preferred the Pacers.

    • I don't see the Cavaliers signing Marko Jaric, the restricted free agent from the Los Angeles Clippers who visited this week. He did average 9.9 points and 6.1 assists. He's a decent defender at 6-foot-7. But he's also restricted, and the Cavaliers believe the Clippers will match any reasonable offer that he receives.

    • It's amazing that Jeff McInnis received a two-year, $7 million deal from the New Jersey Nets. He will back up Jason Kidd. For McInnis, this is a chance to re-establish himself after his stormy last season with the Cavaliers. The Nets are the sixth team in nine years for McInnis.

    • The Cavaliers are looking at free agents such as Damon Jones, Steve Blake and Earl Watson as point guard possibilities. Jones makes the most sense, because he has the best outside shot and the most experience. But Jones declined a $2.7 million option to stay with the Miami Heat, so his price could be high and a challenge to fit into the Cavaliers' salary cap.

  3. #3
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Well, I guess we made him an offer, then.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  4. #4
    PacersFan
    Guest

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    It would have been nice to re-sign him, but with Harrison's progress and DD's age it was not necessary. He came in and played an important role those few games after he was signed, but his age clearly showed as the year progressed. This will also make Rick play Harrison (we all know his love of veterans), and him be ready to play in the playoffs.

  5. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw this on Hoopshype.com today. From the Akron Beacon Journal. I don't have access here at work
    You can access Hoopshype but not a newspaper?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  6. #6
    PCC87
    Guest

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    You would think that at this point in his carrer that he would want to win a championship more than makine money, but i guess not!

  7. #7
    Member PacerFan31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    27
    Posts
    684

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    To bad for Dale

  8. #8
    BeastoftheEast
    Guest

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    bye dale well miss u

  9. #9
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    I'm really curious to see Peck's response to this when he returns.

    Welp, Dale, looks like this is good-bye again. Good luck getting that big $$$ at this stage in your career.

    This is really disappointing.

  10. #10
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Awwwwwwwww looks like Ol Peck was wrong with his "Pacers wont even offer Dale a contract and we will suck, GO every team but the Pacers". F you Dale go sign with some other team and rot on their bench like you did with the Warriors. You would have started for us you idiot, you wont start a game for any of those team. I guess some people just dont give a crap about winning.

  11. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade 20X6
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm really curious to see Peck's response to this when he returns.

    Welp, Dale, looks like this is good-bye again. Good luck getting that big $$$ at this stage in your career.

    This is really disappointing.

    He gave a short response in another thread and here it is

    _______________________________

    "Only rumored to be wrong at the moment. We have no confirmation of this & even the article says rumor".
    ___________________________________

  12. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He gave a short response in another thread and here it is

    _______________________________

    "Only rumored to be wrong at the moment. We have no confirmation of this & even the article says rumor".
    ___________________________________
    Is there a De Nile smiley?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He may still re-sign here, but obviously only if he can get even 20 bucks more than he can get elsewhere.....

    Dale's never had much interest in winning a title. Why would he have signed with the Pacers last year if he did?

    Yeah - or lobbied for a trade after reaching the NBA Finals.

    Personally, I'm hoping Larry Brown's talked to him, made soft cooing noises - whatever might bring Dale to us. But we don't have any money to give him either unless (falls to knees in prayer) we renege on the Jerome James signing.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  14. #14
    Banned Destined4Greatness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    His loss.

  15. #15
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Damn it!

    I think he is over here in Iraq with me because I saw his name on the Mail Call list yesterday.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    I guess one good thing is: I won't have to cringe everytime he shoots a free throw. You can hear the clank from the RCA dome.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  17. #17
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,008

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess one good thing is: I won't have to cringe everytime he shoots a free throw. You can hear the clank from the RCA dome.
    Dale had some pretty good showings at the FT line this year. I wonder if his Pacers' percentage for the time he played might be OK if not downright surprising?

    OTOH, bad FT shooters have a way of making their percentage come back to earth even if they have a couple of hot streaks.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  18. #18
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    I think Dale is worth more than 1.5 million.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. #19
    Banned Destined4Greatness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    He is but at this point in his career he should care more about a ring than money. He got his contract bought out last year for like 10 mill. You think that would be enough.

  20. #20
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is but at this point in his career he should care more about a ring than money. He got his contract bought out last year for like 10 mill. You think that would be enough.
    Yeah, but who are you or I to say what he SHOULD care about right now? It's his career, not yours or mine. If all he wants is fair market value, you can't begrudge him that.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  21. #21
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Dale is worth more than 1.5 million.
    But how much more? 1.75? 2 million?

    At some point, you just have to say "close enough".

    On the other hand, this is his last contract. A couple hundred thousand could make a big difference. (I don't know Dale's financial situation. I was under the impression he had taken decent care of his money, but you never know.)

    On the other, other hand, with Reggie's retired, why should he want to stay here any more than anyplace else? We might be a leading contender to "get a ring", but that's certainly not a sure thing and might not matter to him (much) anyway.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  22. #22
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We might be a leading contender to "get a ring", but that's certainly not a sure thing and might not matter to him (much) anyway.
    Every player everywhere should want a ring. Not everybody gets one, but it should always be the ultimate goal. I'll even go this far: I don't want anyone on my team that cared about anything career related more than winning it all.

    Just how I feel.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    So are you upset that JO didn't go to the Spurs?

  24. #24
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every player everywhere should want a ring. Not everybody gets one, but it should always be the ultimate goal. I'll even go this far: I don't want anyone on my team that cared about anything career related more than winning it all.

    Just how I feel.
    ......so you don't want Artest or Stephen Jackson on your team?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  25. #25
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,008

    Default Re: Dale Davis turned down Pacers $1.5 Million offer?

    Well.. In Dale's defense I think we have to step back a bit. We can speculate about how much the Pacers have (or haven't) offered him or who else has offered him money (and how much) but who can say that he isn't thinking about 'a ring'?

    We don't know what other offers he's getting and what ones he might be tossing aside.

    He's lived in the Pacer lockerroom for a few months and been to practices. Maybe he still thinks Artest is a ticking timebomb? Maybe he thinks JO needs to grow up and quit thinking about himself? Maybe SJax rubs Dale the wrong way. Maybe Dale thinks the 'throw it into JO' offense is a 'loser'. Maybe he questions Tinsley's game. Maybe he thinks AJ shouldn't be a PG.

    IOW... being on the inside maybe Dale sees some things that makes him think the Pacers aren't the favorite to win it all of the teams that have asked about his services.

    It's too early to say Dale is all about the money and doesn't care about a ring. If he ends up with Atlanta then I'll revisit the situation.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •