Thread: Poll lists Sprewell, Bryant among least-liked stars

Default Poll lists Sprewell, Bryant among least-liked stars

This isn't a surprise.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jul05/345099.asp

Poll lists Sprewell, Bryant among least-liked stars
    Posted: July 30, 2005
    SportsDay

Bob Wolfley

When it comes to bad reputations in the world of sports, Milwaukee native Latrell Sprewell is at the top (or bottom) of the list.

Marketing Evaluations, a company in Manhasset, N.Y., conducts polls to determine which public figures are found recognizable and likable by consumers. The company assigns so-called Q Scores to celebrities, rating their likability.

The company also looks at the flip side of the equation to determine which celebrities are perceived negatively.

When a reporter asked a spokeswoman for Marketing Evaluations to provide a list of the 10 athletes with the highest negatives of the 480 athletes it has ranked, the spokeswoman declined. But she did say that Sprewell, the Minnesota Timberwolves guard famous for once choking coach P.J. Carlesimo, had the highest negative Q rating, 50. That means 50% of those surveyed thought of Sprewell in a negative way. Next was Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, who is once again being featured by Nike in ads for a new shoe line.

Bryant's negative Q for those who were surveyed in 2005 was 48.

Advertisement

Sexual-assault charges were dropped against Bryant in September and a civil suit was settled in March.

Other negative Q ratings Marketing Evaluations was willing to provide included ones for Oakland Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss (36), former tennis star John McEnroe (35) and Baltimore Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis (33).

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Poll lists Sprewell, Bryant among least-liked stars

Color me suprised.... Eventhough Kobe being right next to Spree does suprise me because I know that I could ask 50 people and get a totally different response depending on the demographic that is asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Color me suprised.... Eventhough Kobe being right next to Spree does suprise me because I know that I could ask 50 people and get a totally different response depending on the demographic that is asked.
    Marketing people take demographics into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Marketing people take demographics into consideration.

I know they do....that is what kind of suprises me. By the way of the media, I would have figured Ronnie or S. Jackson would have been ranked worse then Kobe. Eventhough Kobe is viewed by most as a team killer across all demographics.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a little suprised to see Ray Lewis on that list. I'm happy Ronnie wasn't on it.

Team killer? Yes I can see that. I think Kobe also came across as arrogant before his trouble in Colorado. Like he was better than everyone else.

He is better than most everyone else on a basketball court, but coming across that way won't make people like you. Jordan came across a bit that way, but wasn't disliked because of it, because he seemed approchable. Kobe just has (to much) pride I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    I know they do....that is what kind of suprises me. By the way of the media, I would have figured Ronnie or S. Jackson would have been ranked worse then Kobe. Eventhough Kobe is viewed by most as a team killer across all demographics.
    Are you high? S. Jack has proven that he only cares about winning ball games and championships. He is the ultimate team mate! He will fight for you if needed.

He punched some stupid Pistons fans, you think anyone outside of Detroit cares about Sjack punching some clown? We've been over this a million times, but a lot of players have said they'd do the same thing. I won't even go into it, that was just dumb.

Kobe = Accused of rape
    Sjack = Punched some guy

Duh, I thought Sjack would be less liked. yeah right...were also talking about stars here.

If SJax were as good a Kobe, he'd be up there, because what he did during the brawl was the worst of anyone, IMO. He's a roleplayer, though, and not in the "WTF?" news as often as Spree, so no one really cares...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Yeah, I don't get why Ray Lewis was in that list. He's a beast, and his last criminal dealings were a while back. I would think that was behind him. TO on the other hand could very easily be on that list for being a crybaby.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

If it was up to me I would have ranked Sjax ahead of Kobe in that category. I plainly dislike the guy because of how he carried himself during the brawl.

I would expect basketball players to be rated higher because more people have heard of them.

Kobe's rape accusation has little to do with my dislike for him. His waving Malone off of a pick made me dislike him more.

Didn't Ray Lewis's legal troubles have something to do with murder? I consider him to be a very sketchy person but I don't know enough about him to dislike him.

As far as I know regarding Lewis he did some sort of plea bargain as part of a murder that happened after the Ravens won the superbowl in 2000. I'm sure there are other posters that knows more about this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    Are you high? S. Jack has proven that he only cares about winning ball games and championships. He is the ultimate team mate! He will fight for you if needed.

He punched some stupid Pistons fans, you think anyone outside of Detroit cares about Sjack punching some clown? We've been over this a million times, but a lot of players have said they'd do the same thing. I won't even go into it, that was just dumb.

Kobe = Accused of rape
    Sjack = Punched some guy

Duh, I thought Sjack would be less liked. yeah right...were also talking about stars here.
    Am I high....Come on, is that necessary? Stephen Jackson is the MAIN INSTIGATOR of the brawl. Remember the play by play, Mike Breen the announcer kept calling for someone to settle Jackson down when he was acting like a strait fool when Artest was actually in control of himself before the cup. Stephen Jackson went into the stands without a reason and just bad intentions. Ronnie, as wrong as he was, at least tried to comfront who threw the cup....Jack just went in there wildly swinging.

Anyway, my comments were in relation to the media and the perception they give to the general public, NOT JUST PACER FANS! As for the comparison of Kobe to Jackson or Ronnie...Yeah, Kobe was accused of a very questionable assault. EVERYONE SEEN JACKSON AND RONNIE ASSUALT PAYING CUSTOMERS...and the media didn't let us forget.