Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big news..the amnesty deadline has been moved WAY up to 8/15

Default Re: Big news..the amnesty deadline has been moved WAY up to 8/15

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You misread me.

I said JJ will likely get $3 million from somebody.

However, since the Pacers will be over the luxury tax, whatever they sign JJ for this year will be doubled. So the theoretical $3 million becomes $6 million.

If that is what you meant, I am sorry. But, at $3 million per do you think the Pacers will let him go (luxury tax and all). There is other talent on this team that can be traded also (FJ, etc).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    If that is what you meant, I am sorry. But, at $3 million per do you think the Pacers will let him go (luxury tax and all). There is other talent on this team that can be traded also (FJ, etc).
    I think there will be a point where yes, the Pacers will let James Jones go, rather than just resigning everybody, and banking on being relieved of all that salary in a talent firesale in Februrary.

My guess is the magic number that the pacers wont match is over 2.5 million.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I think there will be a point where yes, the Pacers will let James Jones go, rather than just resigning everybody, and banking on being relieved of all that salary in a talent firesale in Februrary.

Fair enough. But nobody's made any overtures yet, partially because Donnie has said he's going to match.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Fair enough. But nobody's made any overtures yet, partially because Donnie has said he's going to match.
    I believe that's a wise thing for him to say, but I'm not entirely sure it's genuine.

When the luxury tax threshhold was made official, I'm thinking more than a few GMs were looking at Donnie and thinking, "he's bluffing."

Then again, who knows? next week JJ could resign with the Pacers for $2 million per season, and all this talk could be for nothing. As I said, this is entirely dependant on JJ's desire to become a regular role player on a good team, rather than a benchwarmer.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

I would say $3mill average per is what the Pacers will go up to. He will backup Ron Artest and Sjax off the bench. I don't think he will be a 3rd string SF. Freddie, Bender and JJ will play backup SG/SF between them. (FJ only at SG). Granger might not see much PT.

I would say $3mill average per is what the Pacers will go up to. He will backup Ron Artest and Sjax off the bench. I don't think he will be a 3rd string SF. Freddie, Bender and JJ will play backup SG/SF between them. (FJ only at SG). Granger might not see much PT.
    What you're talking about is unrealistic.

Even if you take Granger out of the picture (which wont happen), three players cannot back up two positions. There isn't enough minutes to go around, unless artest and jackson are going to play only 25-30 minutes a night.

Besides, if you drafted granger to become the 3rd-string SF, why did you create all the fuss over drafting him to begin with?

What you're talking about is unrealistic.

Even if you take Granger out of the picture (which wont happen), three players cannot back up two positions. There isn't enough minutes to go around, unless artest and jackson are going to play only 25-30 minutes a night.

Besides, if you drafted granger to become the 3rd-string SF, why did you create all the fuss over him to begin with?

We are talking about Bender buddy! I will take my chances with that argument.

Unless Granger is really good, he will be on the bench. Who made all the fuss? What did you think the Pacers would come out and say after drafting him? "Yeah he was there, he was tall, so we picked him!"

If Granger is really really really good, we can afford to loose JJ.

foretaz

try this one on for size.....

pacers make a deal with new orleans for magloire or pj brown....

a deal that seems reasonable, but a bit of a steal for the pacers...

something like pollard, aj, and freddie for magloire, claxton, and a second rounder....a bit light for magloire, most would probably agree...

or pollard and aj for pj and a second rounder....a bit light, again...

but then days later....bender is released under the amnesty provision....and days later he signs with new orleans....

hmmmm.....

I wouldn't mind signing JJ if either he or Granger could play the 2 well. That would leave us open to shop Fred, which could get us a decent player if we are lucky.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

while you're at it, you could also trade Bender for TMac....

BTW, the under-the-table deal you're suggesting is illigal.

While we are talking about this --

CAN JJ play the two well (in limited minutes)?

CAN Granger play the two well (in limited minutes)? I know this is more of a guess.

I've just wanted to hear some opinions on this for awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    While we are talking about this --

CAN JJ play the two well (in limited minutes)?

CAN Granger play the two well (in limited minutes)? I know this is more of a guess.

I've just wanted to hear some opinions on this for awhile...

JJ can play the two well - Yes, because he has matured a lot after what this team went through and because he was put right into the thick of things. His confidence probably increased 5 fold , knowing that he does belong.

Granger - He is a rookie. I don't think he will have any impact this year. Everything we hear, IMHO, is hype fromt he Pacers brass.

JJ can play the two well - Yes, because he has matured a lot after what this team went through and because he was put right into the thick of things. His confidence probably increased 5 fold , knowing that he does belong.

Granger - He is a rookie. I don't think he will have any impact this year. Everything we hear, IMHO, is hype fromt he Pacers brass.
    No it isn't. I've heard from many non-Pacer sports reports that Granger and Paul were the two rookies most ready to play in this draft.

Now, that doesn't mean they're not wrong, but I'd bank on him contributing.

Assuming those two could the backup swing positions, I wouldn't mind this 10 man roster:

Foster/Harrison
    O'Neal/?
    Artest/Granger
    Jackson/JJones
    Tinsley/Saras

I think Dale would fit the open PF spot nicely, if we can keep him, otherwise, that spot isn't looking too great. Even if David becomes good enough to start, there's a chance Rick keeps him on the bench for some post scoring. I guess you could switch Jones and Granger between the 2 or the 3, I don't know which one is better suited for it. I do like that they aren't undersized, though. Defense at PG is scary, which makes me think Tinsley really might be on his way out.

Summary -

I think AJ, Pollard, and Fred ought to be shopped for a big man. Maybe include Foster in the deal, if the guy we're getting back is pretty good, and we know Dale will be back.

I'm starting to think I wouldn't be opposed to trading Tinsley for a durable PG who plays good defense. Watson, maybe?

I hope Rick can teach Saras to play D.

Maybe I chose the wrong thread for this.

PS - we really should use the amnesty thing on Cro, and the career-injury waiver (is there one?) on Bender. They just don't fit this team.

I forgot to say that if we could trade some of those guys for Reggie Evans, I would dance the congo.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I forgot to say that if we could trade some of those guys for Reggie Evans, I would dance the congo.

OOh ooh... me too, and I don't even know the congo!!

Quote Originally Posted by ILovethePacers
    OOh ooh... me too, and I don't even know the congo!!
    Me either. I'd sure as heck learn, though.