Thread: The Drafting Game

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Drafting Game Selection Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My turn!

I select the one, the only, Uwe Blab!
    Damn it, Soup...you just killed my whole draft!

"You sunk my Battleship!"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't think the salary cap will be a problem, and here's why:

When you log into WIS, and go to the SimLeagues section to create your exhibition team, if you are over the 42M cap, it won't let you create your team, and thus won't be available for public simulation games.

That's why I'm picking the years of the players after I'm done drafting all 12 players, so I can fit them under 42M, and I already have a 'test' team assembled, and it is under 42M, and is assembeled with the players I have currently.

I know a lot of people are probably looking at my team, and thinking there's no way in hell that can get under 42M, but it is, and it will, because I think people are assuming that everyone is using the players best statistical seasons, at the highest price, and I am not.

As it was alluded to in one of the first couple pages of this drafting game thread, I am using some players' seasons where they were injured, or didn't play many games, so their cap number is a lot lower than you might think.

Take Wilt for example, his salary on his best season is about 13M, but the season I'm gonna use is either gonna be 1.9M, or 6M, depending on how the rest of the draft goes, and who I get, but I have an idea of how my cap number is going, and am not worried about being over.

Also, like Soup's pick of Ron Artest, last years Ron Artest on WIS has his averages of 24/5/3, but since he only played a few games, the price is a bargain at only .6 M, so making picks like that will make it easier to fit a few high priced players in there, without going over the cap.

So, I don't think any penalty will be necessary, because when the draft is done, if your team is over 42M, you won't be able to click the create team button, and won't be availabe for the simulations, and then will be forced to change years, or players to make it fit under the cap.

But I do see the point about if some are just picking players without looking to see what their cap number is, and thus might get to the end of the draft and not be able to fit the players they selected under 42M, and that would make it to where someone else could have picked certain players, if someone hadn't picked them before checking cap numbers.

So I would definitely suggest getting on the WIS site, and researching players, and salary numbers, to make sure who you pick can fit on your squad before making your selections, if you havent' done this already.

Quote Originally Posted by burnzone
    I really don't think the salary cap will be a problem, and here's why:

When you log into WIS, and go to the SimLeagues section to create your exhibition team, if you are over the 42M cap, it won't let you create your team, and thus won't be available for public simulation games.

That's why I'm picking the years of the players after I'm done drafting all 12 players, so I can fit them under 42M, and I already have a 'test' team assembled, and it is under 42M, and is assembeled with the players I have currently......
    Actually, I took that into account when I was thinking all this up, because my own team was planned out the same way as your own. My deal is on the owners that didn't take what you laid out into consideration. There are a lot of high dollar players that didn't have bum seasons where they made below $2 or $3m dollars. I think this will stand up and bite some owners that have not been on the site to check salary.

At the end of the draft...Will certain owners be able waive players they drafted to get under the cap if lowering salaries doesn't get them under the cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    Actually, I took that into account when I was thinking all this up, because my own team was planned out the same way as your own. My deal is on the owners that didn't take what you laid out into consideration. There are a lot of high dollar players that didn't have bum seasons where they made below $2 or $3m dollars. I think this will stand up and bite some owners that have not been on the site to check salary.

At the end of the draft...Will certain owners be able waive players they drafted to get under the cap if lowering salaries doesn't get them under the cap?

Ah......that is a very good point you've brought up, and I see what you mean.

There probably will end up being a few teams that draft all 12, and don't check salary numbers, and then get on WIS, and try to assemble their team, and won't be able to.

I guess it's up to Jose Slaughter, since he's the commish, but I would suggest this:

Teams that haven't done so already should probably sign up, and log onto the WhatifSports site, and go to the exhibition simleague and create a team, and then go to the draft center and start doing some research on who they have currently, and where their salary cap stands.

If you find as of right now, with about 8 of 12 players drafted that you only have 4-6 mil or less before you hit the 42 M salary cap, they should probably either try to find years for their currently selected players that are a lower salary, or take whatever is left before they hit the 42M cap, and divide it by the number of players they have still to draft.

So, if you have 8 players, and are sitting at lets say, 38M, then you have 4M left to draft 4 players, and are then going to have to make sure your last 4 players dont' average more than 1M in salary.

But for those who have not done their research, and are just drafting players they like withouit checking the cap hit, I would imagine if they get all 12, and can't fit under 42M, then maybe they could pick a player to replace with a lesser-priced player, and then put the dropped players into some sort of FA pool, and if anyone has interest in those players, maybe we could have some sort of priority order, for who gets to select a player from the pool if they would like, and then those that didn't do their research, and had to drop players would be at the bottom of the priority picking list, and would just have to finish assembling their squad with 'what's left'.

But again, Jose is the commish, so ultimately it's up to him.

foretaz

might want to be careful creating teams....i think u can only create one exhibition team every 30 days...

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    might want to be careful creating teams....i think u can only create one exhibition team every 30 days...
    That is true, and a good point Foretaz, but the way I am doing it is signing up with about 3-4 different email addresses (yahoo ones are good for that), and keeping 1 team 'open', meaning I haven't hit the create team button yet, and still can visit the draft center, to change players.

Then I have another couple that are in exhibition leagues, and I can't change them anymore.

But yes, if you do get on WIS, and sign up for a team, just keep it open, and don't hit the 'Create Team' button there at the top of the draft center, until we're completely done drafting all 12 players, so you can edit, and make changes as needed.

Or, if you do want to create a team, and just simulate it to see how it plays, sign up on WIS with different email addresses, so you can have 1 team to research players, and edit on the fly as you draft players, and then have another that's completed, with close to the players you have now, just to see how the simulations go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    95. IndyPacers67 -------- Bryant Reeves
    Big Country

If my reading was up to par...I think your only allowed to participate in one exhibition league at a time. I didn't see a provision for 1 team per 30 days. The FAQ for WIS is back on this thread around page 5.

For those that have not gone to WIS....Go there and get a feel for the site because you will have to set up your team when the draft is complete.

BZone... You said that you have simmed some games in the exhibition league, how did that work and did the sim take some imput from you about who plays how many mins and what kind of offense you wanted to run like it describes in the full season sim? I do know that, If Jose wants to use the WIS exhibition...we will have to sim our own play-offs because WIS exhibition doesn't provide it.

I think what we'll do as far as guys being over the cap, is

1. They will need to use the players they drafted. They might not like the seasons they will have to use but thats too bad. The guys that take the time to do the research will have an advantage, as they should.

2. If it comes down to where there is absolutly no way they can get under the cap with the 12 players selected then we will start with the 6th round pick & start a free agent pool.

If, and that is a big if, there are any players released into this "pool" then the team with the smallest payroll gets the first crack at picking that player up.

About how much time after the end of the draft do you think we should have to get our rosters set?

2 or 3 days?

more?

Go!!! is back on the clock

Well, I have simmed some games with my prospective team and it sucks. You can't control playing time and my "best" player is getting crappy minutes. I couldn't even beat a team full of mediocre players. I was going to post the guys, but most of them have not been drafted and I may fill my team out with them.

I go with whatever Jose says as far as over the cap teams go.

Jose, go ahead and use the list I sent. I'll be gone the next two days and don't have time to change things now.

Travmil

Your turn

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nazr Mohammed 02-03

GO!!!!! pick still pending

Able is up by default.

Able selects Don Boven

Sycamore Ken selects Terrell Brandon

Burnzone is on the clock

With the 112th, and 113th picks, I will select Chris Webber, and Donnie Freeman

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by burnzone
    With the 112th, and 113th picks, I will select Chris Webber, and Donnie Freeman

At 114 Sycamore Ken takes Cliff Robinson

At 115 Able selects Bird Averitt

Just a heads up on Able's picks. I am going off a list & he appears to be guard heavy & a little thin at forward. Once he checks his lineup he may desire to make a switch.

Travmil is back on the clock

Go!!! is MIA

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tariq Abdul Wahad 97-98

Go!!! now has 2 picks to make.

When ever he gets around to it.

Soup is Good, your turn.

Soup selects Robert Pack
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

foretaz

Krat is on the clock...

Go!!! has not been on the site in 5 days.

I'm taking over his team & will be making a few changes to his roster (sorry, being commish has its privileges)

These are the players I replaced.

Jack Nichols
    Jim Krebs
    Jalen Rose
    Bobby Leonard

They are now available if anyone wants them.

Sorry

I forgot Kstat PM'd me a list

World B. Free

Next!

foretaz

taz selects

Mark Price

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz