Thread: Damon Stoudemire goes to Memphis

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Damon Stoudemire goes to Memphis

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3288811

Stoudamire finds home in Memphis
    Rockets to look elsewhere for help in their backcourt
    By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

After reaching an agreement with free-agent power forward Stromile Swift two weeks ago, the Rockets turned their attention to landing a veteran guard for their backcourt.

ADVERTISEMENT

The player atop their wish list Houston resident Damon Stoudamire had expressed an interest in joining the team.

But according to sources, Stoudamire and the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed on a four-year, $17 million deal that will be finished when the NBA lifts its moratorium on signings. The NBA and the players' union finished talks and completed their deal early today, clearing the way for teams to start making deals.

Stoudamire averaged 15.8 points and 5.7 assists with Portland last season.

Stoudamire, 31, appears to be a good fit for the Grizzlies, who are bracing for the loss of Earl Watson. Memphis reportedly is pursuing a sign-and-trade deal for Watson, who spent three seasons backing up point guard Jason Williams.

With Stoudamire having made $12.5 million with the Trail Blazers last season and the Rockets able to offer their salary-cap exemption of only $1.8 million, the teams reportedly were discussing a sign-and-trade deal.

Rockets forwards Clarence Weatherspoon, owed $6.53 million over the final year of his contract, and Juwan Howard, due $26 million over four years, reportedly were dangled as trade bait, but the two clubs failed to reach an agreement, paving the way for Stoudamire to sign with Memphis.

Miami and Cleveland also reportedly were interested. With Stoudamire off the market, the Rockets will alter their search.

Latrell Sprewell, Michael Finley and Gary Payton have been discussed as options.

Coincidentally, Stoudamire is set to participate in a charity softball tournament hosted by Rockets swingman Tracy McGrady this afternoon in League City.

The Rockets also learned free agent forward Scott Padgett has agreed to a multiyear deal with Phoenix. Padgett, 29, averaged 3.8 points and 2.6 rebounds over two seasons with the Rockets. He is expected to back up All-Star Amare Stoudemire.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Damon Stoudemire goes to Memphis

What the hell, Stoudamire,JWill and Bobby Jackson? Ohh well as long as the Cavs keep losing out on these PG's I'm good.

Actually it only makes it more likely that the cavs sign earl watson.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Jamaal will smother Earl Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jamaal will smother Earl Watson
    My congratulations to Jamaal. However, I doubt the Cavs mind not having a non-dominant PG, so long as he's starting-calibur, which I believe Watson is.

They have plenty of other weapons on the floor. They dont need a scoring PG.

foretaz

hmmm....i find it hard to believe west makes this deal without a deal in hand for jason williams....

so who is it....whos gonna be jason williams keeper the next few years....

hmmmm

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    hmmm....i find it hard to believe west makes this deal without a deal in hand for jason williams....

so who is it....whos gonna be jason williams keeper the next few years....

hmmmm

After that whole incident with that reporter after they lost to the Suns, that seemed to seal his fate I suppose. He's a good player, I've always liked him and his game. Someone will get a fine starting PG, just with a 'tude.

I doubt JWill will be starting for anybody, unless he goes to Atlanta or Charlotte.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    After that whole incident with that reporter after they lost to the Suns, that seemed to seal his fate I suppose. He's a good player, I've always liked him and his game. Someone will get a fine starting PG, just with a 'tude.
    hmmm...atlanta needs a point guard and a center....they have cap room....memphis has a point guard they want to get rid of......and possibly a center.....

jason williams and ??? to atlanta for al harrington......

jason williams and lorenzen wright to new orleans for magloire???

memphis is in a similar position to us....they need to consolidate roster spots....they got too many players right now...

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I doubt JWill will be starting for anybody, unless he goes to Atlanta or Charlotte.

I can think of plenty of teams he could start for (or atleast be the best PG on the roster).

Seattle, Atlanta, Lakers, Houston, Charlotte just to name a few.

I can think of plenty of teams he could start for (or atleast be the best PG on the roster).

Seattle, Atlanta, Lakers, Houston, Charlotte just to name a few.
    Did I just say Atlanta or charlotte?

Seattle- JWill<<<<<< Ridnour.

Lakers- wouldnt want him in a million years. Horrible fit in the triangle. WOuldnt start there either.

Houston- I'd take Mike James over JWill any day of the week. a top-3 defensive PG with great range.

PacerNthaDesert

Houston- I'd take Mike James over JWill any day of the week. a top-3 defensive PG with great range.

No imagination on offense and very slow footed, but yes a very good defender.

No imagination on offense and very slow footed, but yes a very good defender.

Absolutely he's unimaginitive. However, given that he's better than JWill at everything except passing, I'd take James.

However, in no way is he slow-footed. You dont get to be THAT good at pressuring ballhandlers by being slow-footed.

PacerNthaDesert

However, in no way is he slow-footed. You dont get to be THAT good at pressuring ballhandlers by being slow-footed.

Agree, I guess I meant on offense he is slow footed, but I don't think it has to do with speed now that i think about it, he just doesn't know what to do except shoot the 3 all night.

Agree, I guess I meant on offense he is slow footed, but I don't think it has to do with speed now that i think about it, he just doesn't know what to do except shoot the 3 all night.
    ......as well as make sure the other PG struggles worse at the other end....

with JWill, its 50/50 if he'll be effective or not.

with Mike, you KNOW that ballhawking defense is going to be there 99 nights out of 100.

PacerNthaDesert

......as well as make sure the other PG struggles worse at the other end....

with JWill, its 50/50 if he'll be effective or not.

with Mike, you KNOW that ballhawking defense is going to be there 99 nights out of 100.

Tell that to Jason Terry in the playoffs last year.

JWill is definitely shakey, kind of how Jamaal is. Sometimes these guys just don't show up and it shows in the stats or most likely a loss for the team.

which exactly why no team outside of the hawks will offer him a starting job. He's extremely unreliable, which is fine in a reserve role, but suicidal as a starter.

I forgot about Ray Felton. CHarlotte definately wouldnt start him either.

foretaz

mike james is a backup in this league...at best....

and a very good defensive backup....

but given a choice, every team in the league would pick jwill to start over james....hes too one dimensional....

id love to have james as a backup....but never as a starter....

anyway...back to the thread....im anxious to see what memphis has cooking....cause its apparent they got a pretty substantial trade in the works....

PacerNthaDesert

I forgot about Ray Felton. CHarlotte definately wouldnt start him either.

That's why I put (or atleast be the best PG on the roster)

If you gave me a choice over JWill and Felton, I'm taking Jwill everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's. Of course Charlotte's main goal is to sell tickets and be a playoff team second so I'm sure they would go with Raymond.

That's why I put (or atleast be the best PG on the roster)

If you gave me a choice over JWill and Felton, I'm taking Jwill everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's. Of course Charlotte's main goal is to sell tickets and be a playoff team second so I'm sure they would go with Raymond.

.....and the fact Felton is A) making a lot less $$$ and B) much younger......

He's also a proven leader, which is something JWill never was.

canyoufeelit

mike james is a backup in this league...at best....

and a very good defensive backup....

but given a choice, every team in the league would pick jwill to start over james....hes too one dimensional....

id love to have james as a backup....but never as a starter....

anyway...back to the thread....im anxious to see what memphis has cooking....cause its apparent they got a pretty substantial trade in the works....
    Mike James is not a backup in this league when you have Tracy McGrady doing the scoring/distributing.

JWill is just as 1-dimensional. Hubie Brown could beat him off the dribble. JWill can't really do anything except pass.

Point is, slmot nobody in the NBA would take JWill as their starting PG. Wherever he's going, it wont be to start.

PacerNthaDesert

I think you just dislike JWill for some reason.

I just can't see Jwill coming off the bench unless he went to a team with a top 7 or 8 PG in the league or a young guy they are ready to unleash like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or your boy, Ray Felton.

foretaz

JWill is just as 1-dimensional. Hubie Brown could beat him off the dribble. JWill can't really do anything except pass.
    well considering we are talking about point guards, thats not a bad place to start....

well considering we are talking about point guards, thats not a bad place to start....
    As important as passing is, when Mike James is better at every other possible facet of the game, that more than cancels out that edge.