Thread: "I'd go to bed and fall asleep thinking about Jon Bender"

Default "I'd go to bed and fall asleep thinking about Jon Bender"

http://www.sportingnews.com/features/feel/recruit.html

How's that feel ...
    to to the NBA ... again, again and again?

Bob Leverone/TSN

By Rick Stansbury
    Mississippi State coach

There's not another school in America that has lost three high school players who were eligible to the NBA draft. I've got more experience at this than I want.

It first happened to me with Jonathan Bender in 1999, my first year as head coach. That one was like cutting my heart out for about two weeks. He was a kid who, since he was a ninth grader, I spent every hour of every day thinking about. I'd just gotten married that year, and it's amazing: I'd go to bed and fall asleep thinking about Jon Bender. As a young head coach, you knew the impact he would have on your program.

Until he had that great performance in the McDonald's game, breaking Michael Jordan's scoring record, there had been no one talking about him going pro. It just snowballed after that game.

Once you've had experience with one, probably the second one doesn't hurt quite as much. But it still hurts. Travis Outlaw is from Starkville, a kid who'd been around us since he was in sixth grade. I had no idea this young man would get drafted. We thought he had a lot of potential but still had to learn skills. I was totally shocked. With Monta Ellis this year, it wasn't until late in the process that we figured he'd go. He would always tell us if he wasn't a lottery pick, he was going to college. Last year was the first year there were guards taken that high, and Monta's only 170 pounds. We really felt like he wanted to play, not just be content to sit and get paid. He really wanted to make a name for himself in college, then go in as a lottery pick.

We've managed through all those. Somehow, some way, we've found ways for our program to still win championships. Naturally, with them we might have won more.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: "I'd go to bed and fall asleep thinking about Jon Bender"

I wonder if this guy touched himself while he thought about Jon?

I don't think Bender would've made all that big of a splash in the college ranks either. The same 'deer in the headlights' look and game would've been there as well. It's not like the college game is a cakewalk. Obviously it would be better than his NBA showing but he's not a hard player to figure out... And it wouldn't take much to top his NBA showings.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

LOL...Im sure he did.

Thats one of the funniest things ive ever seen posted on here.

Tim

yuk.

Thanks LA, thanks a lot.....

He77, look at that guy's eyes in the photo. That's definitely a man's whose touched himself while thinking about Jon Bender. Didn't you see Magic Rat's eyes at the get-together? You can just tell.....
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Yeah, a good caption for that photo would be...

"After professing his love for Jon Bender, Coach Stansbury tells anyone who will listen that the Gillette Quattro is how he keeps his palms clean-shaven. Look Ma, no stubble!"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dude, you need a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I don't think Bender would've made all that big of a splash in the college ranks either. The same 'deer in the headlights' look and game would've been there as well. It's not like the college game is a cakewalk. Obviously it would be better than his NBA showing but he's not a hard player to figure out... And it wouldn't take much to top his NBA showings.

-Bball
    I've always thought that if Bender had gone to college he'd have been rated about where Brian Cook ended up - very similar players with roughly equivalent skill sets.

Of course we'll never know - and financially Bender made the right decision (for him, not the Pacers).
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Bender would have averaged 10 blocks a game in college. ANd would have been drafted #1 on POTENTIAL!!!!!!!!!!

Zesty

Assuming he could stay healthy, of course.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

-Bball

Good point. The one thing that stuck out to me was when Stansbury said:

Until he had that great performance in the McDonald's game, breaking Michael Jordan's scoring record, there had been no one talking about him going pro. It just snowballed after that game.
    How many times do you see that happen in sports? It happens quite often in football. Akili Smith, David Klingler, Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, et al. They had one good year in college and everyone said they are the next big thing. One year or in Bender's case - one game - does not make a career. It sounds to me like the scouts got carried away on this kid. Seeing him play in college for at least a season would show that he can play more than 10 games in a row.

Too bad for the Pacers that Bender didn't stink the place up in the McDonald's game.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    One year or in Bender's case - one game - does not make a career. It sounds to me like the scouts got carried away on this kid.
    Sounds like someone wasn't watching Christmas 2002

"If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    Sounds like someone wasn't watching Christmas 2002

He WAS awesome that day!!!!!

You wait - we're going to definitely see him revolutionize the game this year!
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

A couple of thoughts.

1) That draft was pretty weak. There were not a lot of great players available. I know Artest was there and Kirlenko, but overall, only a handful of players were more than adequate. If the Pacers hadn't gone bust on Bender, they may have gone bust on a number of other guys.

2) I think Bender's health problems started when he put on the weight/muscle. I haven't heard that he had health problems until about his second year in when he showed up more muscle-y.