Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning: This thread will kill people

Harmonica

Default Re: Warning: This thread will kill people

Harrison will make those who already haven't forget Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Harrison will make those who already haven't forget Miller.

I've always said this.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I've always said this.
    In my best Shaft voice: Daaaamn right.

I don't believe that Harrison starts this year. For one thing, Rick just isn't going to start an untested kiddo in a starting slot on a team that he fully intends to take to the finals. You start the veteran and give the youngsters as many minutes as they can afford. Look, nearly every one of our starters has had major struggles in the playoffs their first year as a starter. We just can't count on Harrison for THIS YEAR. And, really and truly, we HAVE to be all about this year. Windows in this league are usually shorter than anyone remembers.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

foretaz

i have my doubts whether they start him or not.....

but the fact u want to take this team to the finals and win a title as well as a number of them over the next few years, is the reason i think u do start him

u start him and he will develop and be much more of a threat towards the latter part of the season....

and if hes a threat, this teams chances of winning a title this year as well as in the future go up exponentially....

yes, he will make mistakes...yes, he will have off nites....yes, he will get in foul trouble...

and for those nites, u dont play him as much, no biggie...

but u start him every half of every game, and give him the confidence it takes to succeed....hes got the talent...do we even know we would lose any more games with him starting, than we would him coming in off the bench??? foster is just as effective, if not moreso, coming offf the bench...

i say let the boy play....lets see what we got...and lets give him the maximum opportunity to develop....

plus, it should allow jo to get off to a better start in all the games....as low post defenders simply arent able to cheat as much on jo with harrison in the game, as they are with foster or dale....and allowing jo to get off to a great rhythm every nite is certainly not a bad thing....

bottom line is he might not be ready to start just yet...but by starting him now, u accelerate whatever learning curve is left

We'll just trade him for a backup C when his market value demands huge $$s as a FA.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    We'll just trade him for a backup C when his market value demands huge $$s as a FA.
    Well, if he keeps having Brad Miller-esque seasons like he did this past season, we will.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think at this point a few people on here are over estimating David Harrison's potential. I think David , will be a good player but he still has many flaws in his game which he may or may not over come.

David for his size is a terrible rebounder , he fouls too much , can at times have problems keeping his cool. The anger ,you'd hope will get better as he gets older although he has several older team mates who have yet to learn to control theirs.

The foul proneness may or may not ever be resolved , a lot of young bigmen never overcome that. But in David's case conditioning has been a problem , causing him to reach and grab because he's not been in shape enough to be able to move his feet because he tires quickly. It appears he's making strides in that regard.

David is an effective shot blocker. Part of what I like about Harrison , is he knows he's a 7' 270 center and stays within his range near the basket on offense. He is indeed a dieing breed a post up center. His free throw shooting must improve too or it will Hack a Hulk late in game routine.

David Harrison , could eventually be a top line center , but that will take a lot of work , lets hope he's willing to make that effort. But lets not get carried away quite yet on how good he will be eventually.

Well, if he keeps having Brad Miller-esque seasons like he did this past season, we will.
    Won't matter.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    pizza guy II

Do Not Trade Tim.

"Creed sucks! I hate you, and I hate the bands you like!"

- Every prick on the internet.

Go Pacers!
    pizza guy II? What's that about?

Anyways, his field goal percentage is because 85% of his shots are dunks. But, this is a good thing. Someone draws a double-team and dumps it off to Hulk. He gets a loose ball and throws it down. He's a low-post stud. Now, if he can have Foster teach him how to rebound....then, we've got a low-post uber-stud.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    I'm also a pizza guy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    Yep, I admit when he gets in position he is very hard to stop.
    Right. And he's big enough that he's hard to keep out of position.

He doesn't need to be a great scorer to be a great fit on this team. He just needs to be big and not a stiff. Jermaine's a lot more effective when he doesn't carry as much weight.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    The foul proneness may or may not ever be resolved , a lot of young bigmen never overcome that. But in David's case conditioning has been a problem , causing him to reach and grab because he's not been in shape enough to be able to move his feet because he tires quickly. It appears he's making strides in that regard.
    He made several comments during the season (and Rick made some too) that at the beginning it took him some time to get used to the speed of the NBA game. Dropping rebounds, dropping passes, stuff like that. He's got soft hands, he's just got to [clark]squeeze the orange[/clark].
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy

Anyways, his field goal percentage is because 85% of his shots are dunks. But, this is a good thing. Someone draws a double-team and dumps it off to Hulk. He gets a loose ball and throws it down. He's a low-post stud. Now, if he can have Foster teach him how to rebound....then, we've got a low-post uber-stud.

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. Only 12% of his shots are dunks.

To put that in perspective, 6% of Jermaine's shots were dunks last season, and 20% of Amare's were dunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    He made several comments during the season (and Rick made some too) that at the beginning it took him some time to get used to the speed of the NBA game. Dropping rebounds, dropping passes, stuff like that. He's got soft hands, he's just got to [clark]squeeze the orange[/clark].
    Yeah, before he got shelved because of his knee injury, he was catching and holding onto the ball a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    I think at this point a few people on here are over estimating David Harrison's potential. I think David , will be a good player but he still has many flaws in his game which he may or may not over come.

David for his size is a terrible rebounder , he fouls too much , can at times have problems keeping his cool. The anger ,you'd hope will get better as he gets older although he has several older team mates who have yet to learn to control theirs.

David is an effective shot blocker. Part of what I like about Harrison , is he knows he's a 7' 270 center and stays within his range near the basket on offense. He is indeed a dieing breed a post up center. His free throw shooting must improve too or it will Hack a Hulk late in game routine.

David Harrison , could eventually be a top line center , but that will take a lot of work , lets hope he's willing to make that effort. But lets not get carried away quite yet on how good he will be eventually.
    David doesn't grab many defensive rebounds, but he does grab a lot of offensive boards. Anger and free throw shooting? If those are David's major problems, he is going to be one heck of a player.

I think he will get over the fouling problem. I know he fouled a lot in SL, but I've read a lot of reports that the refs there were pretty quick with the whistle, maybe wanting to make a name for themselves.

David Harrison will never make me forget Brad Miller.

However, there is a very slight possiblilty that David Harrison will be better than Brad Miller.

The reason he will never make me forget him is because they are totally two differant types of centers. One plays the high post on offens & the other plays the low post.

Now truth be told, I prefer a low post center. But when you have O'Neal in there it's hard to fit to many bodys into the lane. That is why I've always about moving Brad because unlike those who feel that Jeff is the perfect compliment to Jermaine I've always felt that Brad (or a player like Brad) is exactly what we need.

I don't understand some of the criticism that David is getting here on offense because to me, for a young undeveloped center who was the last pick in the first round, he was a phenom.

He is money when facing up from about 10' & in. Now I don't think he's going to step back & hit the 15' shot like maybe we would like but with his size I don't know that I ever really want him that far away from the bucket.

He does have to improve his personnal rebounding numbers though. He is great at blocking out & other players get a lot of boards off of him but at some point he needs to grab them himself.

Look I'm not going to go down the Brad trail again today, maybe some other day , but if David just goes back & gives us what he gave us the first couple of months of the season then we will be fine.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I think David and Jermaine would be a good fit offensively. With Brad and Jermaine, you had two guys that like to mope around outside the paint. David is a guy that hardly ever leaves the paint, and will certainly not toss up 10 fadeaways a game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It will take a season or two but Harrison can get as good if not better than Brad Miller.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    David Harrison will never make me forget Brad Miller.
    "As of now I no longer care about Brad Miller." — Peck, after the Pacers brought Dale back home

If having Dale back can't help you move on, I sincerely doubt anyone can, much less David Harrison.

FLASH FORWARD 7 YEARS...

Draft Day 2012

Stern: And for their first round pick, the Indiana Pacers select Bill Russell Jr.

MEANWHILE BACK ON PD...

Peck: Bill Russell Jr. will never make me forget Brad Miller.

Gamble

I am sorry Brad Who? OH.... the guy who gets blocked by pg's gotcha.
    In anycase Harrison will probably not start because we need a good inside threat
    coming off the bench and i know how much you guys like Austin but...
    To me you have to see Brad and Harrison as a different player but i can say this
    David is willing to do what it takes to be that inside force. Brad's a european center
    lost in the NBA.

Yeah, a shorter Rik Smits type who actually rebounded, passed, and defended. Who wants that 'Euro trash'.

"As of now I no longer care about Brad Miller." — Peck, after the Pacers brought Dale back home

If having Dale back can't help you move on, I sincerely doubt anyone can, much less David Harrison.

FLASH FORWARD 7 YEARS...

Draft Day 2012

Stern: And for their first round pick, the Indiana Pacers select Bill Russell Jr.

MEANWHILE BACK ON PD...

Peck: Bill Russell Jr. will never make me forget Brad Miller.
    Your use of my quote is about to become null & void. If Dale Davis is no longer here (well actually he is no longer here right now because he is an unrestricted free agent) then I once again will care greatly about our lack of a center, unless David Harrison develops faster than anticipated.

Besides, I thought my post was a pretty good job of trying to make the statement that David & Brad were totally differant types of centers & that is why he won't make me forget him.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

David may make me forget Brad, but he'll never make me forget Peanut Butter!
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!