Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning: This thread will kill people

Default Warning: This thread will kill people

Could Harrison Compare to Miller?

Friday, July 29, 2005
    If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com. Brunnerís opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.
    QUESTION
    OF THE DAY

Conrad Brunner

Q. Pacers faithful have really missed Brad Miller's passing, shooting, and toughness. However, fans following the team closely are psyched about David Harrison. It's obvious from summer league he has lost fat and since he says he hasn't dropped weight, he must have replaced it with muscle. Harrison has already shown a nice mid-range shot and very promising post play. How do you and the coaches feel his conditioning is coming, and how soon might Harrison be ready to contribute like Brad Miller would have? Do you think Harrison will be able to become as good a shooter, passer, and compliment to J.O. as Miller? (From Jeff in Goshen, Ind.)

A. Please note: any and all comparisons hereafter made between Harrison and Miller are based on the former's potential and the role he projects to fill with the Pacers within the next few seasons, not the here and now. Miller is a two-time All-Star; Harrison is a second-year player.

That said, ultimately, Harrison will be a very, very different kind of player than Miller. He's much more of a pure power post player, a guy who has the girth and strength to be a true offensive force around the basket. Unlike Miller, he doesn't appear to be a guy who will be comfortable on the baseline or in high-post sets. He had 52 assists in 88 games in college and 13 in 43 games last season, so passing isn't one of his strengths.

One area where Harrison already is better is shot-blocking. He has surprising athleticism and excellent anticipation and should only improve with time. There are, however, three areas that will require significant improvement before it will be justifiable to draw comparisons between the two: foul trouble, rebounding and free-throw shooting.

Once Harrison learns to move his feet more than his hands, defensively, he should begin to reduce the foul problems that plagued him last season. Though an effective offensive rebounder, Harrison should be a much, much bigger force on the defensive board. Austin Croshere averaged 7.1 defensive rebounds per 48 minutes last season; Harrison averaged just 5.5 Ė the same as Stephen Jackson. At the line, after posting a .553 career mark in college, he shot .571 as an NBA rookie.

There's no physical or mechanical reason Harrison can't show substantial improvement in each of those areas. If he does, then there's every chance that, in a few years, he will become a standard for comparison.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Warning: This thread will kill people

This thread wont kill people........

......just hicks .

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I don't think the players are comparable at all.

The thing that most surprised me last season was how good a shot blocker DH is

David will be better than that Brad guy.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dear Soup,

Sorry to hear that you've been banned. I hope the Witness Relocation Program works out for you. Stay vigilent, you never know when He Whom We Do Not Name will come after you.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

PacerNthaDesert

I really hope this was a joke because I laughed

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    I really hope this was a joke because I laughed
    Yeah, I was joking. I would never knock David like that.

PacerNthaDesert

Yeah, I was joking. I would never knock David like that.
    I see...

Only problem is David can't go 20 mins without fouling out and his offensive skills are a bit, shall I say raw? Other than that, I concur.

I see...

Only problem is David can't go 20 mins without fouling out and his offensive skills are a bit, shall I say raw? Other than that, I concur.

At least David has a post game.... oops!

Brad simply isn't strong enough to play in the post like David. I mean, Brad can't even stop the field goal posts from moving, he must not be that strong.

PacerNthaDesert

Really in all seriousness, I could see David being better if he commits himself to keeping in shape and really works hard. The man was gifted with his body type, now its just time to polish his skills.

foretaz

david is a potential rarity.....a true center....instead of a power forward playing center, which is the case with most of the centers in the league, including brad miller...

"Guns don't kill people... I kill people."

If you want to compare Harrison to Miller you should compare him to the Miller that played for the Hornets.

Clearly, they are different. But really, their first year numbers were not so radically different. Harrison played more minutes per game, but Brad played more games. They both scored about 6 points per game and pulled down 3 rebounds. Brad was a much better free throw shooter and Harrison was a much better blocker. The deal with Brad was that every year was a step up from the year before. He just kept improving and improving. That will tell the tale. Harrison is not good enough to be the starter on a contending team. Especially a team in the same conference as Shaq and Wallace. It was Brad's fourth year in the league, the year he joined the Pacers, that he really emerged as a top notch talent. I expect things to be no faster with Harrison.

I see...

I only saw a few games in person, but I sure didn't see what you're seeing. His offensive skills aren't raw at all. Quite the contrary. I've seen Brad in the post and Hulk in the post, and there's no question in my mind that Harrison's got the better offensive game. He's not the passer Brad is, but he's got the post offense Brad's never going to have.

The fouling rate doesn't worry me at all. He'll get it. Foster had the exact same problem when he entered the league, and he's become an excellent defender. There's no reason Harrison can't. In fact, he can be a better defender for this team, because he can guard the heavy banging centers, which Foster's not great for.

And I love Foster. He's going to be the best backup center in the league once Harrison comes into her own.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This thread wont kill people........

......just hicks .
    It doesn't bother me at all. I hope he does fill the void Brad left. I think they're different types of centers, but David could be equally good in his own way if he works at it, and I hope he does. I like the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

And I love Foster. He's going to be the best backup center in the league once Harrison comes into her own.

Oh, now it is ON!

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I only saw a few games in person, but I sure didn't see what you're seeing. His offensive skills aren't raw at all. Quite the contrary. I've seen Brad in the post and Hulk in the post, and there's no question in my mind that Harrison's got the better offensive game. He's not the passer Brad is, but he's got the post offense Brad's never going to have.
    I really don't think David has any post moves yet and he certainly doesn't have much shooting range. In the games David put up points, Jamaal Tinsley had A LOT to do with that using his penetration and David being wide open for several dunks. To me, dunking doesn't equate to a good offensive game. I think he can and will be a solid offensive player but I guess I'm just not seeing it yet like you, which is okay.

The fouling thing isn't a big deal like you said, its probably just a rookie thing more than anything.

I really don't think David has any post moves yet and he certainly doesn't have much shooting range. In the games David put up points, Jamaal Tinsley had A LOT to do with that using his penetration and David being wide open for several dunks.
    Those two sentences could be any more wrong.

PacerNthaDesert

Well maybe I'm a little off I admit, but I'd like to know what David Harrison you guys are watching. You guys make it sound like the Pacers should just throw the ball into David everytime on offense and just let him go to work because he's so polished offensively and he has move after move to throw at people. In college he wasn't even a very good offensive player, probably why as a 7 footer with good bulk he went so late in the draft.

PacerNthaDesert

You guys think David should start this year or let Foster or Dale if he comes back?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

David has a LONG way to go before he is on Brad's level.

Let's not get caught up in the hype of how good a player can be. That's slapped us in the face before.

Well maybe I'm a little off I admit, but I'd like to know what David Harrison you guys are watching. You guys make it sound like the Pacers should just throw the ball into David everytime on offense and just let him go to work because he's so polished offensively and he has move after move to throw at people. In college he wasn't even a very good offensive player, probably why as a 7 footer with good bulk he went so late in the draft.
    No one makes him sound like that, but you must admit, when he gets position in the paint, he is hard to stop. He also has a few nice shots from 10 feet in, and there aren't many centers who can consistently keep him from getting deep position.

He was an excellent scorer in college. His last season, he averaged 17 a game on 63 percent shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Warning: This thread will kill people
    Seven Days.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

PacerNthaDesert

No one makes him sound like that, but you must admit, when he gets position in the paint, he is hard to stop. He also has a few nice shots from 10 feet in, and there aren't many centers who can consistently keep him from getting deep position.

He was an excellent scorer in college. His last season, he averaged 17 a game on 63 percent shooting!
    Yep, I admit when he gets in position he is very hard to stop.