Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saras

Default Re: Saras

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Now, all you'll get is some people saying they don't like vegetables, and my sister

I like vegetables, but I don't really like your sister.

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood

Okay, that makes up for her 'ing you when she didn't mean to.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

foretaz

i think he will be perceived to be dramatically better than aj...

i think, given tins' roller coaster antics, there will be times when the clamoring for saras to start will develop...

i think he will bring excitement to the team....but most of all he will bring an attitude that many fans like to see....

i think we will definitely get our moneys worth...after all, hes not making that much, given nba standards, and pacer standards...

for someone who is making the 9th highest salary on the team (ignoring reggies number) i think most will be very happy....as i said before...the magic signed dooling for 10 million for the same amount of years...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is what we know.

Bird thinks the world of him. He's considered by those in-the-know as the best European baller. He's a dead-eye shot, and a tricky passer with freakish court-vision.

This is what we don't know.

How will he adapt? Will the NBA defenses (supposedly tougher than Euro D) cause problems for his shooting? or passing?

Here's what I conclude.

Larry Bird is an uber-stud and knows talent when he sees it. OK, so, Austin Croshere is Bird's favorite guy, and we all know how that turned out. We also know that when Bird coached him, he was a much better player. I'm gonna go with Mr. Legend on this and say, "yeah, he's gonna be good for this team."

Not to mention, the lineup of Cabbage, Freddie, JJ, Harrison and Granger just sounds fun.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    This is what we know.

Bird thinks the world of him. He's considered by those in-the-know as the best European baller. He's a dead-eye shot, and a tricky passer with freakish court-vision.

This is what we don't know.

How will he adapt? Will the NBA defenses (supposedly tougher than Euro D) cause problems for his shooting? or passing?

Here's what I conclude.

Larry Bird is an uber-stud and knows talent when he sees it. OK, so, Austin Croshere is Bird's favorite guy, and we all know how that turned out. We also know that when Bird coached him, he was a much better player. I'm gonna go with Mr. Legend on this and say, "yeah, he's gonna be good for this team."

Not to mention, the lineup of Cabbage, Freddie, JJ, Harrison and Granger just sounds fun.
    Cabbage? I'd rather start with a salad.

woman without a team

Here baby, , have some nock-you-on-your-***-for-a-week-germs.

woman without a team

Now, all you'll get is some people saying they don't like vegetables, and my sister, if she posts from her sick bed.
    The pain. The pain! I'll try to raise my hand. Maybe just a finger...

I think Saras will have some success here but nothing spectacular. In my opinion, the difference for Saras is that on his European and National teams he was da man. He had the green signal in the Euro league and in the Olympics. Here he will have to defer a lot. That will be his problem.

I am of the opinion that part of Reggie's defering and tentative game in his later years was not only because of skills but also because of his personality. Saras has lot of similarities to Reggie - not very athletic, not a good defender, a flair for the clutch, good for team chemistry, etc, etc.

I think, on this team, Saras will be like the deferring Reggie and that is the reason he won't have as much success as he had.

Far be it from me putting myself in this conversation but my personal experience has been that I play my best when my teammates look for me to do something. When my team has one or two better players than me I tend to get tentative and start deferring and not playing my natural game. This is a personality think.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    Read above post.

And please make a list of Euro's who were stars in Europe and became stars in the NBA compared to those who were stars in Europe and busted in the NBA.

I think you'll find its a little lopsided.
    Euroleague Kings were those players - Petrovic, Kukoc, Sabonis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius. Ginobili played well, but he won only Euroleage when it was devided into ULEB Euroleague and Fiba Suproleague, he didn't play FIBA Suproleague finalists Maccabi and Pabnathinaikos that season.

Some statistics of current generation NBA players in Euroleague

Predrag Stojakovic
    97/98 20.9 ppg 3.6 rpg (Thesaloniki PAOK)

Marko Jaric
    98/99 6.5 ppg 1.1 apg (Bologna Fortitudo)
    99/00 8.7 ppg 0.9 apg (Bologna Virtus)
    00/01 10.4 ppg 2.3 apg (Bologna Virtus)
    01/02 13.5 ppg 2.1 apg (Bologna Virtus)

Emanuel Ginobili
    15.1 ppg 4.1 rpg 2 apg (Bologna Virtus)
    15.6 ppg 3.8 rpg 3 apg (Bologna Virtus)

Michael Olowokandi
    98/99 10.7 ppg 6 rpg (Bologna Virtus) released after 3 games

Carlos Arroyo
    01/02 9.7 ppg 2.3 apg Vitoria Tau Ceramica) released after 3 games.

Vladimir Radmanovic
    98/99 4.2 ppg 1.5 rpg (Belgrad Crvena Zvezda)
    99/00 6.0 ppg 4.6 rpg (Belgrad Crvena Zvezda)

Anderson Varejao
    01/02 4.6 ppg 4 rpg (Barcelona)
    02/03 4.1 ppg 3.1 rpg (Barcelona)
    03/04 7.7 ppg 5 rpg (Barcelona)

Alexandro Pavlovic
    01/02 2games 6 minutes 0 pts 0 reb (Podgorica Budocnost)
    02/03 9.6 ppg 1.3 rpg (Podgorica Budocnost)

Darius Songaila
    02/03 12.3 ppg 3.8 rpg (Moscow CSKA)
    Bruno Sundov
    03/04 2.5 ppg 1 rpg (Tel Aviv Maccabi)

Bostjan Nachbar
    00/01 4.0 ppg 1.8 rpg (Treviso Benetton)
    01/02 12.3 ppg 3.7 rpg (Treviso Benetton)

Hidayet Turkoglu
    96/97 2 games 6 minutes 0 pts 0 reb (Istanbul Efes Pilsen)
    97/98 2.8 ppg 1.3 rpg (Istanbul Efes Pilsen)
    98/99 5.6 ppg 3.5 rpg (Istanbul Efes Pilsen)
    99/00 13.6 ppg 4.6 rpg 2.7 apg (Istanbul Efes Pilsen)

Andrei Kirilenko
    98/99 5.3 ppg 1.4 rpg (Moscow CSKA)
    99/00 11.5 ppg 6.2 rpg (Moscow CSKA)

Pau Gasol
    99/00 4.3 ppg 2.1 rpg (Barcelona)
    00/01 18.5 ppg 6.0 rpg (Barcelona)

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Here baby, , have some nock-you-on-your-***-for-a-week-germs.

What have you got? Mono? I know someone that has got that, she is miserable.

Guess who tops basketball web pages attendance in Europe? Lithuania is no. 1. Israel no. 2. Spain no. 3. That's official ULEB statistics. Saras is Lithuanian, played for Tel Aviv Maccabi and Barcelona...

I hope something magical could happen in this next season's all-star votings

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    Personally, I do not believe he will suck. I expect him to be a quality back-up point guard with a good shot. I do not expect that at 29 he will ever be an All-star as by the time he fully grasps the NBA game he will be probably around 31 and their are just too many good pt guards for him to be an All-star.

I do not think we got a franchise player by any means, but I do not expect him to suck.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My expectation level is a bit better then AJ offensively, but I'm dreaming that we have the next Steve Nash. Basically bottom line, I think I will be happy because on Larry Birds judgement...I don't think he would bother bringing in a guy that is not at least better then AJ. So, if he is average at best...it lets us send at very least Eddie Gill down the road.

Now, I am willing to believe if this dude is the second comming of Jesus Christ at the point nearing the All-Star break....Tinsley will be playing somewhere in the Western Conf. JMHO...of course

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    ....I am willing to believe if this dude is the second comming of Jesus Christ at the point nearing the All-Star break....
    Now this is what I call "hyping a guy"...

Now I'm a Maccabi fan in Israel. I've also been a fan of my beloved Knicks for the past 20 years ( ). I watch NBA games regularly, though they are in the middle of the night in Israel. I know the Euro game, I know the NBA game, and I can give a pretty good prediction:

First of all, Sharas was not "da man" in Maccabi. Anthony Parker was (and still is). In games where Sharas was the leading scorer, Maccabi were closer to losing. In 3 of 4 Maccabi losses in the Euroleague Sharas was the leading scorer. He is not going to be "da man" in the NBA either. His best strength is making the others around him better. What makes him such a great catch is that he does this in dazzling style (passing) and emotion (leadership). He's also a fantastic clutch player, and possesses what is known as "killer instinct" at a level of the greatest who ever played. Really! No BS!

The NBA game in regular season is far LESS intense than the Euro game. There are only about 20 "regular season" Euroleague games before the Final Four. This means that every single game is super-important, thus the high level of intensity. It's like playoffs all year, every year.

So definitely Sharas will be crucial to the Pacers come playoff time. If he brings his normal intensity to regular season games (which I am sure he will), and will be able to adjust to 3 games a week without getting injured (pretty much sure he will) - then he has adjusted. You must remember - he knows the game and mentality (played 4 years college ball at Maryland), he knows the language (I heard him speak English - he's practically a native), and he's experienced (the guy is 29!), the major "adjustment" problems are behind him.

The bottom line:
    By Christmas Tinsley will wish he were injured so he'd have a justified cause for why he isnt playing (let alone starting...)
    And the Pacers are a much better team than last year! Guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII
    Now this is what I call "hyping a guy"...

Now I'm a Maccabi fan in Israel. I've also been a fan of my beloved Knicks for the past 20 years ( ). I watch NBA games regularly, though they are in the middle of the night in Israel. I know the Euro game, I know the NBA game, and I can give a pretty good prediction:

First of all, Sharas was not "da man" in Maccabi. Anthony Parker was (and still is). In games where Sharas was the leading scorer, Maccabi were closer to losing. In 3 of 4 Maccabi losses in the Euroleague Sharas was the leading scorer. He is not going to be "da man" in the NBA either. His best strength is making the others around him better. What makes him such a great catch is that he does this in dazzling style (passing) and emotion (leadership). He's also a fantastic clutch player, and possesses what is known as "killer instinct" at a level of the greatest who ever played. Really! No BS!

The NBA game in regular season is far LESS intense than the Euro game. There are only about 20 "regular season" Euroleague games before the Final Four. This means that every single game is super-important, thus the high level of intensity. It's like playoffs all year, every year.

So definitely Sharas will be crucial to the Pacers come playoff time. If he brings his normal intensity to regular season games (which I am sure he will), and will be able to adjust to 3 games a week without getting injured (pretty much sure he will) - then he has adjusted. You must remember - he knows the game and mentality (played 4 years college ball at Maryland), he knows the language (I heard him speak English - he's practically a native), and he's experienced (the guy is 29!), the major "adjustment" problems are behind him.

The bottom line:
    By Christmas Tinsley will wish he were injured so he'd have a justified cause for why he isnt playing (let alone starting...)
    And the Pacers are a much better team than last year! Guaranteed!
    Alright, you have a certain idea of how good he will be by Christmas or so next year. Who would you compare that to that currently plays in the NBA? Who does he play most like?

Alright, you have a certain idea of how good he will be by Christmas or so next year. Who would you compare that to that currently plays in the NBA? Who does he play most like?
    Well, that's a tough one...
    I'd like to say he has the court vision of Nash-Kidd caliber, leadership and enthusiasm of Ginobili, shot selection and accuracy of Chauncey Billups (94% from the line last year, 100% [!!!] in 4th quarters). He's got a Bird-like killer instinct, which is what Larry saw in him, I guess.

However, I'd say that the combination of them all is unique and quite refreshing! This guy made watching games a great deal more fun and entertaining!

On the defensive side, though, I'd say he's a liability (maybe like Nash again).
    Maccabi had to invent a whole concept of D to suit the problems that were caused by Sharas' defense. It turned out, BTW, that the defensive concept (copyright of David Blatt - a name to remember) was adecisive factor in the 2 back2back titles. I would advise Rick Carlisle to have a talk with David Blatt... hell, snatch him away from Benetton Treviso and bring him in as an assistant coach!
    In the end, I think that with guys like Artest, JO, Foster, Dale Davis, and even Stephen Jackson, all coordinated by Carlisle, who is known form his defensive mind - they'll be all right.

Sports Logo

Anyone have an idea about how far the 3pt line in the EuroLeagues compared to the NBA 3pt line?

Are we talking a significant difference ( like the NBA 3pt line is compared to the College 3pt line )?

Is Sarunas a decent 3pt threat?

or

Is he another guard that can shoot the 3pt shot decently ( cuz we have SJax, AJ, Tinsley, Artest and even JONeal...if he is lucky that can shoot the 3pt ball )?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Are we talking a significant difference ( like the NBA 3pt line is compared to the College 3pt line )?
    FIFA's line is basically the college line, though I'm sure somebody will come in with measurements.

But, even in my new role as Cabbage-hater, I don't believe range will be a concern.

FIFA's line is basically the college line, though I'm sure somebody will come in with measurements.

But, even in my new role as Cabbage-hater, I don't believe range will be a concern.
    How can you be so dead-set against him, when he hasn't even played a game for us yet?

How can you be so dead-set against him, when he hasn't even played a game for us yet?
    How can you all think he's the savior, when he hasn't even played a game for us yet?

If you want more, ask Hicks to dig up my first article, the one about how I can't help being a contrarian. I've got absolutely nothing against the guy, in fact, you could say I'm trying to protect him from the avalanche of criticism that will eventually come when he doesn't live up to everyone's lofty standards (like, oh, I don't know, the Jesus Christ comparisons.)

How can you all think he's the savior, when he hasn't even played a game for us yet?

If you want more, ask Hicks to dig up my first article, the one about how I can't help being a contrarian. I've got absolutely nothing against the guy, in fact, you could say I'm trying to protect him from the avalanche of criticism that will eventually come when he doesn't live up to everyone's lofty standards (like, oh, I don't know, the Jesus Christ comparisons.)
    Okay.

I actually don't think he will be our savior. My expectations are for him to be a solid backup. He's got as much chance to be a lot worse than that, as he does to be a lot better than that, IMO.

Those who write him off before he even plays for us, though...

Okay.

I actually don't think he will be our savior. My expectations are for him to be a solid backup. He's got as much chance to be a lot worse than that, as he does to be a lot better than that, IMO.

Oh, I don't write him off. I think he'll be very good shooting specialist. I've just yet to see one quote from anyone associated with the Pacers that makes me believe they expect him to play real minutes at point.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Okay.

100% my position in this. I don't really like the hyping either, sets the stage for a huge amount of unfair critisysm when in the end he's good but, to continue on the line in this topic, no Jesus Christ.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    no Jesus Christ.

Regards,

Mourning
    So,you're an atheist?

(Gotta love out of context quoting.)

Actually FIBA's line is a little closer to the basket than NBA's line and a little farther than College line.
    NBA court is bigger than European. Length: NBA - 28,5 m, Euro - 26 m. Width: NBA - 15 m, Euro - 14 m.