Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saras

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Saras

I wish Saras would have been played for our summer league team that way all this talk about him adjusting to the NBA and if he will be a bust could be put to rest.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Saras

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish Saras would have been played for our summer league team that way all this talk about him adjusting to the NBA and if he will be a bust could be put to rest.
    What if he would have sucked, then what?

Its a two-way street.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

then we know we keep tinsley and not sign him to a contract

I'm just tired of everyone assuming he'll suck because he's not played here before. Who do we draft? High Schoolers, College-level players, and foreigners. None are as good as the NBA, but you don't see 99% of players from the first two, especially college being scrutinized because they've never played NBA competition.

In Saras' case, he even has proven himself against NBA players in the Olympics and World games, yet still he gets the majority doubting the crap out of him.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44
    then we know we keep tinsley and not sign him to a contract
    True, but Saras wasn't coming over here if he didn't have a contract. He feels that he is beyond trying out for an NBA team, and rightfully so. We'll have to wait to see if he is a bust, a star, or a quality role player.

House Sigil:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hicks is absolutly right.

i have no doubt in my mind Saras will be an all-star in the nba in the next few years but i guess it is a good thing people thing he will suck, because then the board would be dead

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I'm just tired of everyone assuming he'll suck because he's not played here before. Who do we draft? High Schoolers, College-level players, and foreigners. None are as good as the NBA, but you don't see 99% of players from the first two, especially college being scrutinized because they've never played NBA competition.

In Saras' case, he even has proven himself against NBA players in the Olympics and World games, yet still he gets the majority doubting the crap out of him.
    The number one reason in my eyes is that the Euro league is not as tough as the top level college ball. Two, college ball is played with an American style, just like the NBA so there is a more direct comparison between the two that allows for more accurate judgement of a player's skill/potential.

This is why for every Zadrunas Ilgauskas, their is a Bruno Sundov or worse. Its hard to judge the foreign players as their leagues are played in different styles than the NBA. Some can adapt, some can't.

House Sigil:

NCAA isn't the same as the NBA. Any fan of it has told me that, and what little I watch seems to confirm the idea. Different pace, different sized players, hell diff. rules, shot clock, refs (IMO).

I wish Sarunas would have played in the summer league, not because I think he wont be able to adjust (I think he will be great) but because I have not seen him play first hand. I also wish the Pacers second round pick, Erazem Lorbek would have played even though he is going to stay in Europe for at least one more year. It would have been very interesting to see those two play together.

I've seen enough highlights to know he will be just fine.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Yeah I trust' Larry's judgement on this one.

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally, I do not believe he will suck. I expect him to be a quality back-up point guard with a good shot. I do not expect that at 29 he will ever be an All-star as by the time he fully grasps the NBA game he will be probably around 31 and their are just too many good pt guards for him to be an All-star.

I do not think we got a franchise player by any means, but I do not expect him to suck.

House Sigil:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

NCAA isn't the same as the NBA. Any fan of it has told me that, and what little I watch seems to confirm the idea. Different pace, different sized players, hell diff. rules, shot clock, refs (IMO).
    NCAA is not the same, however it is much closer to the NBA than Euro leagues.

House Sigil:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    I've seen enough highlights to know he will be just fine.
    Key word there being "highlights"

House Sigil:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    True, but Saras wasn't coming over here if he didn't have a contract. He feels that he is beyond trying out for an NBA team, and rightfully so. We'll have to wait to see if he is a bust, a star, or a quality role player.
    That makes it sound like he's arrogant or something. How do you try out for the NBA anyway without actually playing in a NBA game? Bird saw him play on numerous occasions first hand. I assume our other European scouts did as well. He kicked the U.S.'s *** in the Olympics. There is no way to "try out" someone, save giving them a 10 day contract, that would simulate his ability to compete in games. The most important thing is how is he going to fit with our team, how we utilize his skills, whether we can minimize his weaknesses and maximize his strengths. We can diss European ball all we want, but most draft experts deem Danny Granger as the most NBA ready college player and he played in the Mountain West Conference which is no way as good as the European league. No player has ever come into the NBA with as much a can't miss status as Ralph Sampson did when he graduated from Virginia. He was 7'4, had great ball skills, could run the floor, was a great passer and.... never panned out in the NBA.
    I'm most interested in whether we open things up at times, esp. the second unit if Freddie stays and Bender is healthy with Granger and David in the Mix or possibly Foster. Let Saras do a little Steve Nash action on teams already beaten down by our first unit. That's what intrigues me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    That makes it sound like he's arrogant or something. How do you try out for the NBA anyway without actually playing in a NBA game? Bird saw him play on numerous occasions first hand. I assume our other European scouts did as well. He kicked the U.S.'s *** in the Olympics. There is no way to "try out" someone, save giving them a 10 day contract, that would simulate his ability to compete in games. The most important thing is how is he going to fit with our team, how we utilize his skills, whether we can minimize his weaknesses and maximize his strengths. We can diss European ball all we want, but most draft experts deem Danny Granger as the most NBA ready college player and he played in the Mountain West Conference which is no way as good as the European league. No player has ever come into the NBA with as much a can't miss status as Ralph Sampson did when he graduated from Virginia. He was 7'4, had great ball skills, could run the floor, was a great passer and.... never panned out in the NBA.
    I'm most interested in whether we open things up at times, esp. the second unit if Freddie stays and Bender is healthy with Granger and David in the Mix or possibly Foster. Let Saras do a little Steve Nash action on teams already beaten down by our first unit. That's what intrigues me.
    IMO all those people who played on the summer league games who were not on the roster or any roster were "trying out" for the NBA whether for the team they were playing or someone else.

And its not always about skill level, such as Granger's conference, as it is style of play. I'm sure Pavel Pavolvic was great at playing center in a Euro style, but probably couldn't handle it in the Mountain West conference because of the American style.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm just saying they are very, very different.

And lets not even get started on the US Olympic team. Obviously we all know the multiple problems with USA basketball, so while winning the gold medal means alot. Its not like they beat the Dream Team to do it.

House Sigil:

And lets not even get started on the US Olympic team. Obviously we all know the multiple problems with USA basketball, so while winning the gold medal means alot. Its not like they beat the Dream Team to do it.
    So, let me get this straight. Going for 28 in a victory vs. a team that included Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan and coached by Larry Brown is to be sneered at, but we would have been able to determine more from the competition in Summer league games? I'm losing you here.

IMO all those people who played on the summer league games who were not on the roster or any roster were "trying out" for the NBA whether for the team they were playing or someone else.

And its not always about skill level, such as Granger's conference, as it is style of play. I'm sure Pavel Pavolvic was great at playing center in a Euro style, but probably couldn't handle it in the Mountain West conference because of the American style.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm just saying they are very, very different.

They're making the transition very smoothly. That's why so many are coming over now. Every year there's a new record on Euro players entering the draft, because it's been shown that they can adapt fairly quickly.

It seems that some are willing to write off European leagues like they're in the same class as big HS's. It's so easy to question a 3time Euro champ, gold and bronze medalist, than it is to question Danny Granger that played at New Mexico.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    So, let me get this straight. Going for 28 in a victory vs. a team that included Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan is to be sneered at, but we would have been able to determine more from the competition in Summer league games? I'm losing you here.
    Well I said I didn't want to get into the US summer team, because honestly I don't want to type this much this close to the end of work.

So I will keep coming back to style of play. Olympic basketball is not the NBA. Not even close. Then we get to the fact that foreign teams have actuals TEAMS who PRACTICE for these games. USA Basketball just throws together some selfish stars, do a couple of shoot arounds and photo-shoots and expects to win on reputation.

Scoring 28 is nothing to sneer at, but I'll wait and see if he can come here and score 28 on an NBA team that practices and is legitimately coached.

I'm not saying I wish Saras would have played in the summer league, read my first post. I said he is beyond that.

However I will always be in the "he's as good as what he actually does for the Pacers, not what he is expected to do for the Pacers" camp.

House Sigil:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    They're making the transition very smoothly. That's why so many are coming over now. Every year there's a new record on Euro players entering the draft, because it's been shown that they can adapt fairly quickly.

It seems that some are willing to write off European leagues like they're in the same class as big HS's. It's so easy to question a 3time Euro champ, gold and bronze medalist, than it is to question Danny Granger that played at New Mexico.
    Read above post.

And please make a list of Euro's who were stars in Europe and became stars in the NBA compared to those who were stars in Europe and busted in the NBA.

I think you'll find its a little lopsided.

House Sigil:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'll tackle this issue in 2 weeks when I get back from Orlando.

I'll talk to everyone later.

House Sigil:

I don't think anyone I've seen knowledgable about the situation has figured him in any kind of role like what he had with his Euro team or his Olympic team. Everyone, including him it would seem, expects him to play behind Tinsley, with some shooting guard thrown in. He has taken less money and chosen us over playing with his best friend. Bird has scouted him extensively. As stated above in the Ralph Sampson article, there are no guarantees, but the reasons I just listed are more than enough to make me optimistic.

Uh, what planet are you on?

I'm sick of everyone saying he's gonna be great in spite of the fact he's never played here before.

Here, I'll prove it to you. If you're a Cabbage-hater, raise your hand.

Now, all you'll get is some people saying they don't like vegetables, and my sister, if she posts from her sick bed.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I think he'll at least be an above-average backup. Hopefully and possibly, much better.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?