Thread: Anyone from St. Louis or familar with St. Louis

Default Anyone from St. Louis or familar with St. Louis

I have to go there for two days on business in a couple of week. Two night stay. My business duties will be downtown, but I'm not sure I want to stay downtown or not. I almost would rather stay in a nice suburb. it is usually just easier to get around

Have never been to St. Louis before so someone answer some questions for me.

Is the downtown nice and safe. I will have some time to kill, so I want to know if there is a shopping center downtown, movie theater, other stuff to keep me busy and out of trouble. (Yes I know to stay on the west side of the river, no I won't go to east St. Louis.

My co will pay for the hotel, although there are limits on how much they'll cover, so any suggestions about where to stay downtown.

Or what about a nice suburb that's not 45 minutes to an hour from downtown.

Really any info you can give me would be helpful.

Thanks

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anyone from St. Louis or familar with St. Louis

I'm usually in StL on day trips, so I can offer some opinions but not much...

From what I understand from my clients, downtown is a ghost town at night UNLESS there's a Cardinals' game.

My bro-in-law used to live out by the University - its pretty nice and there's stuff to do out there.

I've found the subway - MetroLink or whatever its called - to be much better than a cab or driving. But it also happens to be close to the airport, the PwC office, my clients, and my bro-in-law's house so perhaps I'm just lucky.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Try to make your way to the area they call "The Hill". In this one neighborhood I bet there are 30+ Italian restaurants to choose from. I've sampled several, and have never been disappointed with any of them.

[edit]here ya go... [/edit]

Harmonica

I stayed there for a few months on business. That was 8 years ago, but if I recall, the downtown area on the West side of the Mississippi isn't bad. Stay away from East St. Louis. It's pretty rough. Clayton (just West of downtown) is a nice upscale suburban area. There's an eclectic little area not far from there, but I can't remember the name. Lots of nice restaurants and blues bars, etc. Hope that helps.

Zesty

I haven't really spent a lot of time there (so I'm really no help to you), but I'm headed out that way after work this afternoon for the weekend to visit some friends who got married last month.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I can't tell ya much about the place except it is probably my fav "big" city. I love to go down by the river and just hang around (near the arch). But we have good friends there so I stay at their place and eat wehrever they direct, therefore, I rarely figure out wher I am. I went to Union Station near Near Cardinals baseball field....absolutely dead at night. I thought downtown Indy died...but this was soooooo dead.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love to go down by the river and just hang around (near the arch). But we have good friends there so I stay at their place and eat wehrever they direct, therefore, I rarely figure out wher I am. .

So you lived in a van down by the river.

Sorry, but that Chris Farley skit was the funniest skit I've ever seen

All I can tell you is, stay away from "St. Louis-style" pizza, at all costs.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

I say forget about work and spend the day at Six Flags...and under NO circumstances eat St. Louis style pizza. A long, painful death from starvation would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I say forget about work and spend the day at Six Flags...and under NO circumstances eat St. Louis style pizza. A long, painful death from starvation would be better.

Sounds good to me. Well the skip work stuff. I know what I can do is stay an extra day, just say the mediation was held over an extra day. That would work and no one would know. But I know I won't do that.

Is Six Flags better than Cedar Point

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Is Six Flags better than Cedar Point
    I've been to both, and must say that Cedar Point blows the doors off of Six Flags at St. Louis. But I'm a coaster freak and don't care about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    I've been to both, and must say that Cedar Point blows the doors off of Six Flags at St. Louis. But I'm a coaster freak and don't care about anything else.
    Yep, coaster wise it's not a contest. If you had kids, though, Six Flags would be better.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I know no one cares. But I just got back from my three day stay in St. Louis. I stayed downtown at the Embassy Suites right on the river. Overall I was impressewd by St. Louis. Seems like a good place to live. I mainly saw the downtown area and a little of the West end, and I thought both were very nice, clean and seemingly safe.

The city seemed to have a little more character than Indy, but the traffic was worse than it should be. One thing I liked is having nice "suburbs" within a few minutes of downtown. That is one thing Indy does not have. (Well maybe the 46th and Meridian area, but that is mainly just nice older homes while in St. Louis there was more stuff going on.

Union Station was OK, nothing too exciting.

Overall I was impressed by St. Louis, but of course I missed the really bad heat so who knows what I might have thought with 100 degree heat

I was born in St. Louis.

The one in Michigan.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!