Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RealGM - The Ten Worst Free-Agent Signings of the Past Decade

Default Re: RealGM - The Ten Worst Free-Agent Signings of the Past Decade

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bingo. Jalen was the best overall player on the Larry-Bird-era Pacers' teams.

Maybe he wasn't always interested in playing defense, although he tried harder during that timeperiod than any other. Still, he was the best overall player on the Pacers then. The Pacers offense was designed around two plays - get Jalen the ball on the wing and let him do whatever he wants, or run multiple screens for Reggie.

I've said this many times on here, but I don't get the venom toward Jalen from the PD community?

I think a portion of you are so enamored with the hard working underdog that you don't appreciate a guy who's so talented on the offensive end that he makes it look easy. Then again, I wasn't a big fan of Haywoode Workman because I realized that underneath all that hard work and likeable persona, he really wasn't much more skilled than our current backup PG. He really could kill an offense, too.
    Well, I've talked for years about the Jalen Rose syndrome. People fall in love with a guy coming off the bench, he becomes a fan favorite, the masses clamor for him to be given a starting spot, he's finally given one and shoved into the spotlight, where all his flaws are exposed and the same fans who built him up promptly begin to tear him down. Same thing happened to Austin, Al, and Jeff, and I'd argue the same thing would have happened to Tinsley, as well, 'cept Isiah skipped the bench part. From the looks of this board this summer, Harrison's well on the path, and I would be surprised if Granger doesn't fall victim to it as well.

That said, unlike his successors, Jalen's problem wasn't a flaw in his game, or how he played it. His problem was his ego. You all know I'm Isiah's biggest defender on here. But the worst mistake he ever made was playing Jalen at point. But, it's pretty apparent it was a requirement of him getting the job, so what you gonna do?

Then we had his tantrums involving Al late in his tenure here, which guaranteed practically everyone was happy to see him go. But still, you still have many, myself included, who would be happy to have him back, if he accepted his role and left the ego-tripping, referring-to-himself-in-the-third-person malcontent at home.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Bingo. Jalen was the best overall player on the Larry-Bird-era Pacers' teams.

Maybe he wasn't always interested in playing defense, although he tried harder during that timeperiod than any other. Still, he was the best overall player on the Pacers then. The Pacers offense was designed around two plays - get Jalen the ball on the wing and let him do whatever he wants, or run multiple screens for Reggie.

I've said this many times on here, but I don't get the venom toward Jalen from the PD community?

It does not matter if you are the best overall player if you don't contribute to team chemistry and break up plays. He is a very good offensive player, no doubt and could be the best one on one player of the Larry Bird era.

We are looking for the Pacers to win, this is not a competetion between the one on one skills of Reggie and Jalen. Who did most for the Pacers that post season in terms of points, clutch shots, etc.

As far as the venom, he has time again pulled up on 3 on 1 fast breaks, broke design plays (this I am going by Phil Jackson's comments), would hold the ball till 2 secs in the shot clock and then pass out, whined to refrees on most calls against him, always pouted at the slightest discomfort(pt, benching, not playing point, etc). I just do not have any respect for him and cannot get to like him. I cannot respect any basketball player

1 - who does not play within the system no matter how talented,
    2 - who does not work hard to maximize his potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Well, I've talked for years about the Jalen Rose syndrome. People fall in love with a guy coming off the bench, he becomes a fan favorite, the masses clamor for him to be given a starting spot, he's finally given one and shoved into the spotlight, where all his flaws are exposed and the same fans who built him up promptly begin to tear him down. Same thing happened to Austin, Al, and Jeff, and I'd argue the same thing would have happened to Tinsley, as well, 'cept Isiah skipped the bench part. From the looks of this board this summer, Harrison's well on the path, and I would be surprised if Granger doesn't fall victim to it as well.
    That does seem to happen a lot.

I still think JJ should start though.

Mood

Foyle!