Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers and luxury tax

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers and luxury tax

Now that the luxury tax has been set at 61.7 mil the Pacers will pay dearly . Their current payroll is at over 78 million without James Jones or Dale Davis being resigned. So they are looking at paying 16-17 mil before even resigning our free agents.

Waiving Austin Croshere would take 8.9 mil off that total. It appears Austin's days may well be numbered. As it is he'd cost 17.8 mil in real money if the team keeps him as a 10-12 member of the team. Or almost 38 million over the next two years. I truely can't see the Pacers keeping him at that price tag.

If the Simons don't want to pay the luxury tax ( as we have always been lead to believe) it would seem Scot Pollard must also be moved for nothing more than a draft pick to a team below the cap.

Those 2 moves would cut 15.1 mil off the luxury tax , allowing the Pacers to resign Jones and hopefully Dale , to deals in 1.6-2 mil apiece range.

I'm sure the Simons would prefer a hit in 5 million dollar range to one in 16-17 million dollar range.

Besides Dale Davis even now has more use to the Pacers than Scot Pollard.

Default Re: Pacers and luxury tax

Do we know if the LT is going to be enforced this year? Isn't that a question mark each year?

Mood

Until the new CBA is released officially we don't. But the fox sports reports states.

For the first time, teams will know before the season begins what the luxury tax threshold will be - $61.7 million. Teams with payrolls over that will have to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax on the amount of their payroll that exceeds the $61.7 million.

Under the old luxury tax system, teams did not know until the season ended whether the luxury tax would even kick in, or what the threshold was. The new rules provide a level of cost certainty to replace the cost mystery many owners complained about.

With it being announced before the season and the new amnesty rule , its appears more likely than ever before. The amnesty rule serves absolutely no value if there is no tax , since players must still be paid and count against the cap.

That's good that we'll finally know before a season what the LT is, instead of guessing all year long.

I see us paying it. Maybe not all of it (cut Cro, or Bender?), but some.

Forget Magoire. Bender to Nawlins for a pick, and I'll be thrilled.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

na na na na
    na na na na
    hay hay hay
    good bye

Getting rid of Pollard and Austin wouln't hurt my feelings any.

Wow if we don't get Dale it's going to hurt bigtime. Hopefully this Sarunas pick up was worth it, especially if it costs us dale. I have no doubt this guy will contribute. But there is a big question mark on our bigs.

I'm about to post a thread about Foster, that is hard to believe but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    na na na na
    na na na na
    hay hay hay
    good bye

I look at last year and see two players who played hurt to help us. I see two players who did everything they could for their team and took what came with professionalism (at least what we were privy to on the outside).

I'd take no glee in seeing them unceremoniously punted aside for salary reasons. Particularly since salary doesn't mean much to us as fans except when we see the team shedding it and making personnel decisions not on what is good for the team's championship hopes but what is good for the bottom line.

Ultimately, I know the bottom line has to work or there is no team but it takes two to tango and these players wouldn't be in this predictament without Pacers' management screwing up in the first place.

Meanwhile... Jonathon Bender gets yet another free pass?

I understand cutting deadweight but perhaps some need to take off the blue and gold glasses and see who is really deadweight. You might make the argument that all 3 are deadweight in one degree of the other but I find it hard not to believe Bender is the most worthless of the bunch.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    na na na na
    na na na na
    hay hay hay
    good bye

I look at last year and see two players who played hurt to help us. I see two players who did everything they could for their team and took what came with professionalism (at least what we were privy to on the outside).

I'd take no glee in seeing them unceremoniously punted aside for salary reasons. Particularly since salary doesn't mean much to us as fans except when we see the team shedding it and making personnel decisions not on what is good for the team's championship hopes but what is good for the bottom line. Historically we've not been a team that uses salary headroom to better the team thru outside sources but instead have used it to simply re-sign our own... many times to bloated contracts that paint us into a corner.

Ultimately, I know the bottom line has to work or there is no team but it takes two to tango and these players wouldn't be in this predictament without Pacers' management screwing up (one way or the other) in the first place.

I understand cutting deadweight but perhaps some need to take off the blue and gold glasses and see who is really deadweight. You might make the argument that all 3 are deadweight in one degree or the other but I find it hard not to believe Bender is the most worthless of the bunch.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Vantaa/Finland Favorite Players: Danny Granger, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O'neal, Gilbert Arenas

I would definately waive Croshere, if we were young team that needs cap space.. but I think we shouldn't make our team worse when we are this close to win the championship.

Sports Logo

I agree with Bball Bender should be the first to go. But I think we might be able to dump him with a career ending injury exception and that will help us more than using the one time cut rule.

Did anybody see Larry's comment that they're going to try to avoid the luxury tax?

I have no idea how they'll do that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Did anybody see Larry's comment that they're going to try to avoid the luxury tax?

I have no idea how they'll do that.
    Trade JO to NO for a 2nd-rounder?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, you're going to waive Croshere via amnesty. That's definate at this point. He's your highest-paid benchwarmer, and you need every last dollar. Simply waving Reggie's or Pollard's contract won't get you close enough to the threshhold.

However, that still leaves you at around $69-70 million, so I'm guessing that Bender and Anthony Johnson will get shipped out for peanuts. They're the only two expendable players on your team that another team would actually take in trade. That probably gets you under the tax.

However, I think that Dale Davis is likely gone, and I dont know how they'll find the balls to pay James Jones $3 million per season, which is about what he'll get offered. Assuming you pay the luxury tax on his contract, keeping him will cost you more than Tinsley and Stephen Jackson.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

If James Jones is offered 3 mil a year , I say the Pacers waive him goodbye.

I'd be glad to see Croshere cut just because he's the second highest paid Pacer with 10th man skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    and I dont know how they'll find the balls to pay James Jones $3 million per season, which is about what he'll get offered
    By who?

Enjoy your time at PD!

I've thought all along that we should waive Cro., and I'm not even worried if he goes to a rival. Beyond that, I think we still need to use our remaining exception $, and just live with the penalty for 1 year. That would leave us over the tax threshold by around 9 mil. Next year Reggie's salary will come off, and Pollard is a free agent. I'm sure when the decision was made to pay Reggie, even though he's retired that DW, LB, and the Simons knew that it meant paying the tax. If they're big enough to pay Reggie as a bonus for all he's given the team, then they're big enough to pay the penalty on it as well.

By who?
    for half the MLE, I think Charlotte, San Antonio, Seattle, Minnesota, Denver, Detroit, Golden State and the Lakers are all possible destinations.

I believe the Spurs have already expressed interest in him.

If you look at his contributions in his first real season, in addition to his potential as a defender, $3 million is really a fair price for what he brings.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Damn, San Antonio is so good at picking up this little jewels that teams leave behind. They just hand around with their excemptions, not paying any luxury tax, and cherry pick the veteren FAs.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Well, we've heard for some time that a 2 fer 1 or 3 fer 1 was needed (Wans't it Bird that sasid that?)

As tight lipped as the P's mgmnt is, it may already be in the books and we just don't know it until things can be official. Then again, it's a long time to the deadline so a lot can happen between now and then.

But with this payroll I gotta believe the Brad Miller decision wasn't JUST about dollars. Dollars vs. talent yes but not Dollars alone.
    (Ducking....running)
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    it may already be in the books and we just don't know it until things can be official. Then again, it's a long time to the deadline so a lot can happen between now and then.
    Waaiiiiit a minute! Isn't it just the amnesty thing that got pushed back? Aren't we going to start hearing about trades on Monday, or do I gotta keep postponing my expectations? This is like bumping Christmas back to Feb. 7!

foretaz

what geezer is saying is this....the pacers dont have to make any trades now....now it would seem logical that they might make a move or two...but who knows....

u could also argue that they would be better off seeing how things go with all the question marks they have, and therefore they would end up waiting till during the season to make a move-and they have all the way till the trading deadline to make any move....

but we will know if theyre gonna use the amnesty clause withing 2 weeks....

Forget Magoire. Bender to Nawlins for a pick, and I'll be thrilled.
    Shoot a second round pick from New Orleans is almost as good as a 1st rd pick!

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

I'd take no glee in seeing them unceremoniously punted aside for salary reasons. Particularly since salary doesn't mean much to us as fans except when we see the team shedding it and making personnel decisions not on what is good for the team's championship hopes but what is good for the bottom line.

Ultimately, I know the bottom line has to work or there is no team but it takes two to tango and these players wouldn't be in this predictament without Pacers' management screwing up in the first place.

I understand cutting deadweight but perhaps some need to take off the blue and gold glasses and see who is really deadweight. You might make the argument that all 3 are deadweight in one degree of the other but I find it hard not to believe Bender is the most worthless of the bunch.

-Bball
    OK lets see here. Pollard's regular season went a little like this, he played 49 games averaged 4.2 rebounds and 3.9 points. Not to good. His playoffs were even worse, he averaged 2.5 points, 1.2 rebounds in 9 games. Austin Croshere's stats are more impressive in the regular season no doubt but the playoffs were horible. He averaged 2.5 points 1.7 rebounds in 10 games. Now I do agree that those statistics are much better than Bender's and that is because Bender never plays because he is ALWAYS injured. His contract is still smaller than Cro's and Pollard (I would also get rid of Bender but I hope everything works out).