Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RealGM - The Ten Worst Free-Agent Signings of the Past Decade

Zesty

Default RealGM - The Ten Worst Free-Agent Signings of the Past Decade

Link

10) Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway – Signed by the Suns in 1999 for $84 million over 7 years

This was considered a great acquisition at the time as Penny was a two-time all-NBA First Team star. He had one decent season for the Suns, averaging over 16 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists and was bit by the injury bug soon after. Penny never quite recovered and was shipped to the only team that would take on his inflated contract, the New York Knicks , along with Penny Hardaway for expiring contracts and some young talent that never panned out. While the trade seems one-sided, it gave them the cap space to sign Steve Nash and possibly Joe Johnson if they decide to match an offer made by the Atlanta Hawks .

9) Brian Grant – Signed by the Heat in 2000 for $84 million over 7 years

After averaging a meagre 7.3 points-per-game and 5.5 rebounds-per-game, Brian Grant decided to opt out of his deal with the Portland Trailblazers after being courted by several NBA teams. The result was a three-way trade that sent Shawn Kemp to the Blazers, Clarence Weatherspoon, Chris Gatling, Gary Grant and a first rounder to the Cavaliers and a newly re-signed Brian Grant to the Heat at a price averaging 12 million dollars per season. Strangely, Grant turned down the league maximum $93 million over 7 years that he would have received if he agreed to a trade sending him to the Cavaliers. How a player that averaged such mediocre numbers garnered such interest is beyond anyone’s imagination.

8) Austin Croshere and Jalen Rose – Signed by the Pacers in 2000 for $51 million over 7 years and $93 million over 7 years respectively

While he was not given a ludicrous amount of money, Austin Croshere wasn’t even that good of a player to begin with. Croshere had a strong playoffs outing at the end of the 1999-2000 season and ended up laughing his way to the bank with a contract averaging roughly $7.5 million per season. Croshere would end up relegated to the Pacers bench thereafter and has been pretty much a non-factor in the league. Rose has been a solid player since his signing, but far from being worth a maximum deal. Thankfully for the Pacers, the year after signing Rose, they orchestrated one of the most lopsided trades in recent NBA history, trading him to the Bulls for Ron Artest and Brad Miller.

7) Tim Thomas – Signed by the Bucks in 1999 for $67 million over 6 years

After acquiring Thomas from the 76ers in 1998 for Tyrone Hill, the Bucks saw great promise in the athletic youngster out of Villanova. This resulted in Thomas being a young, heralded free agent who would eventually re-sign with the Bucks for a nearly maximum contract. Unfortunately, Thomas’s attitude in recent years makes it seem like he feels he actually deserved it. Thomas would improve moderately since his signing, but would never live up to potential. He was eventually traded to the Knicks in a 3-way trade along with Nazr Mohammed that sent Keith Van Horn to the Bucks and Michael Doleac to the Hawks.

6) Tariq Abdul-Wahad – Signed by the Nuggets in 2000 for $43 million over 6 years

Considered a blue collar hard worker, Abdul-Wahad (formerly known as Olivier St. Jean) was acquired by the Nuggets in a trade with the Magic and was seen as a strong defensive stopper. The Nuggets gambled and resigned Abdul-Wahad to a six year deal, assuming that he’d be a stronghold for their defense. After one injury plagued season with Denver, Abdul-Wahad was traded in a rebuilding project spearheaded by new Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe sending Abdul-Wahad, Nick Van Exel and young up and comer Raef LaFrentz to the Mavericks for the expiring contracts of Juwan Howard and Tim Hardaway, youngster Donnell Harvey and a first round pick. Abdul-Wahad has played very limited minutes since the trade was made.

5) Michael Stewart – Signed by the Raptors in 1998 for $24 million over 6 years

While this deal wasn’t a make or break move for the Raptors organization, one must keep in mind that Michael Stewart 2.4 blocks-per-game in 21 minutes-per-game for the Kings in his rookie year. Those are insane, Ben Wallace-type block numbers that were unfortunately never even remotely duplicated or anything even close in his future seasons. It is also interesting to note that Stewart was a janitor who tried out for the Kings and made the team. Now the only thing he has to worry about cleaning is his residence on Tiger Woods’ private island.

4) Adonal Foyle – Signed by the Warriors in 2004 for $42 million over 6 years

Speaking of overrated shotblockers, most people were shocked when the salary that Chris Mullin gave Adonal Foyle weighed in at a remarkable average of $7 million per season. Since Foyle has never averaged even 6 points-per-game, that seems like a pretty heavy contract for a guy who can set strong picks and block shots. The past two examples simply go to show that if you can block shots and set picks, you are worth more money in one year than the President of the United States would make if he served 20 straight years in office.

3) Juwan Howard – Signed by the Bullets (Wizards) for $105 million over 7 years

One of the members of the legendary fab-five from Michigan University, Howard has always been a decent scorer, but a mediocre rebounder and defender. Regardless, the team now known as the Wizards felt it was necessary to make Howard a very rich man. Howard was never a great player, but always a quality player and a class act, unfortunately he was never worth anywhere close to what he was paid.

2) Vin Baker – Signed by the Sonics in 1997 for $86.7 million over 6 years

After a career year with the Bucks, becoming the first Bucks player to average 20 points and 10 rebounds since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did so in the 1974-75 season, Baker was a coveted free agent. What ensued was a three-way trade that sent Shawn Kemp and Sherman Douglas to the Cleveland Cavaliers , Baker to the Sonics and Terrell Brandon and Tyrone Hill to the Bucks. This made many Bucks fans upset, but had they known that after only one good season as Gary Payton’s new running mate in Seattle that Baker would fall off the map and become one of the NBA’s biggest jokes, I’m certain they would not have regretted it.

1) Allan Houston – Signed by the Knicks in 2001 for $100 million over 6 years

Six years later and this is still the ugliest contract in basketball. There’s no question that Allan Houston, when healthy, is one of the league’s finest shooters, but that’s about all he has going for him. Houston is a weak defender and a poor rebounder and has been plagued with injuries in recent years. It would not surprise me if the Knicks cut Houston as part of the new clause in the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement that allows them to cut a solitary player to save money on their luxury tax. If any team needs to utilize this clause, it’s the Knicks. At 34 years old, Houston’s shooting is no longer the commodity that it once was, so it will be interesting to see if he will be able to make a successful NBA comeback.

Default Re: RealGM - The Ten Worst Free-Agent Signings of the Past Decade

I hate to do this, but here it goes, plus I know Peck is on vacation.

The bad signings of Rose and Cro had to be weighing on Donnie's mind when he decided not to re-sign Brad.

What about Bender?. Well Bender was only for 4 years, I think that is a big difference vs 7 years

Argghh!!!!! ahhh!!! damn you Bender !!!!!! ok got that out of the way...

Hey DW has done some many savvy moves in his career he is allowed a "mulligan every now and again. LOL

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The bad signings of Rose and Cro had to be weighing on Donnie's mind when he decided not to re-sign Brad.

What about Bender?. Well Bender was only for 4 years, I think that is a big difference vs 7 years
    I think Bender's contract is manageable, even though he has yet to produce. If he breaks out this year-something I feel he will because the spot light will not be on him-his contract will be a bargain. But then again, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas.

I agree with the Brad thing, UB. His injury's haven't been the best for Miller recently, either. I think in time, Miller's non-signing may prove to be the best non-signing we ever did (though we did do a sign and trade)-and then again, maybe not. Sorry about bringing that up. Forget I said anything. Not a topic for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

I'm not on vacation yet!!!!

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

Why Not Us ?

I think in a backhanded way it's impressive that a guy could build a contender DESPITE 3 really ugly contracts all made within a few years of each other. Most of those other teams were sunk for YEARS after laying down that wad on nothing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Those are all pretty bad but I have to go with the one that hits close to home.:croshere: Austin is not worth near what he got.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers#1Fan
    Those are all pretty bad but I have to go with the one that hits close to hame.:croshere: Austin is not worth near what he got.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...t=13699&page=2

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All in all, Croshere has proven to be worth much more versus what he has been paid than Bender.

I guess a few folks are still on the bandwagon, but come one. There's a hell of a difference between "break out" and "broken down".

Penny never quite recovered and was shipped to the only team that would take on his inflated contract, the New York Knicks , along with Penny Hardaway for expiring contracts and some young talent that never panned out.
    Seriously, were all the editors in the world rounded up and shot at some point? Does ANYONE proofread ANYTHING anymore?
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Can somone please explain to me the constant knocking of Jalen Rose? Jalen Rose is practically the same player now as he was 5 years ago when the Pacers signed him. Hell, a couple of years ago, Jalen averaged like 22 with the Bulls.

What did you all expect out of Jalen Rose when that contract was signed? Did you all expect him to become a top 10 player or something? He's Jalen Rose.

Jalen is probably the one player on that list that who's game hasn't gone to crap since he signed his contract.

I'll never understand the constant knocking of Jalen Rose on this forum. I swear I think I'm the only person that liked Jalen Rose, and would still love to have him around. Without Jalen's clutch scoring, there are no finals in 2000.

Jalen was the same player in 2000-2001 and when he was here in 01-02 as he was in 99-00. He was just stuck in a situation that wasn't that great, and had the burden of carrying the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

Oops. When are you leaving

I thought I could slip that by you.

Have a good week or so

You won't be reading the forum will you ?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Croshere got market value. He should also blame Toronto, Houston and Chicago for the $$$ amount Croshere signed for.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't think Rose should be on this list.

Is he overpaid? Yes.

Is his deal one of the worst in FA history? No way, he's been a major contributor on every team he's played for and continues contributing to this day. he should have been paid a little less for his talent but 3 different teams have paid up, so he must be worth SOMEthing.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    Can somone please explain to me the constant knocking of Jalen Rose? Jalen Rose is practically the same player now as he was 5 years ago when the Pacers signed him. Hell, a couple of years ago, Jalen averaged like 22 with the Bulls.

What did you all expect out of Jalen Rose when that contract was signed? Did you all expect him to become a top 10 player or something? He's Jalen Rose.

Jalen is probably the one player on that list that who's game hasn't gone to crap since he signed his contract.

I'll never understand the constant knocking of Jalen Rose on this forum. I swear I think I'm the only person that liked Jalen Rose, and would still love to have him around. Without Jalen's clutch scoring, there are no finals in 2000.

Jalen was the same player in 2000-2001 and when he was here in 01-02 as he was in 99-00. He was just stuck in a situation that wasn't that great, and had the burden of carrying the team.

PFAdam, aren't you the one who didn't think that JO was a max contract guy? If JO isn't max worthy there is no way Rose was.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    PFAdam, aren't you the one who didn't think that JO was a max contract guy? If JO isn't max worthy there is no way Rose was.

JO's contract is what, about 30 more million bucks? The Pacers had no choice but to sign Jermaine O'Neal to the max, or he would be living in San Antonio, Texas right now. Obviously I support keeping JO. But I think the Pacers expect alot out of JO. They practically handed the franchise to him. I don't think getting suspended 15 games for clocking a guy is what they had in mind.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that Rose was worth the contract, I just want to know what people expected out of Rose when he signed it. He was never going to elevate to one of the top 5 or 10 players in the game. So is Rose overpaid? Yes. But I don't know what people expected out of him. Jalen is Jalen. When JO signed his contract, I think most expected him to elevate the Pacers to championship status, and there's still plenty of time left to do it.

I'm going to ask this, and I'm not trying to be a smartass. What's the difference between Jalen Rose and Reggie Miller? A few clutch shots? Scoring is both of their strengths. They are both mediocre defenders at best. Reggie shinned best when he had a strong supporting cast, but when the team itself wasn't that strong, Reggie still put up solid numbers....Sounds just like Jalen....

Reggie and Jalen got the furthest in their careers when they were both fed off of each other, and a strong cast of role players. Reggie seemed to have a bit more luck being placed with a stronger cast of teammates than Jalen did, but outside of a few clutch shots......they are pretty much the same.

Can somone please explain to me the constant knocking of Jalen Rose?
    I think it's more to the idea that Ron and Brad were brought in together by using Jalen's contract.

He's way over paid from the fact he wasn't an All-star, but was was the same price as two future ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    I think it's more to the idea that Ron and Brad were brought in together by using Jalen's contract.

He's way over paid from the fact he wasn't an All-star, but was was the same price as two future ones.

Oh, I definitely agree that was a deal we had to do. We robbed Chicago(and turned around and pulled a lobsided trade with Sac a year later).

Since we traded Brad Miller for a bum, it ends up being Artest for Rose. I don't believe that Donnie was desperately shopping Jalen, but such a great deal came up with Chicago, he would have been a fool to pass it up.

But still, I get the vibe from this forum that most were glad to see Jalen go.

I was, and still am a Jalen Rose fan.

JO's contract is what, about 30 more million bucks? The Pacers had no choice but to sign Jermaine O'Neal to the max, or he would be living in San Antonio, Texas right now. Obviously I support keeping JO. But I think the Pacers expect alot out of JO. They practically handed the franchise to him. I don't think getting suspended 15 games for clocking a guy is what they had in mind.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that Rose was worth the contract, I just want to know what people expected out of Rose when he signed it. He was never going to elevate to one of the top 5 or 10 players in the game. So is Rose overpaid? Yes. But I don't know what people expected out of him. Jalen is Jalen. When JO signed his contract, I think most expected him to elevate the Pacers to championship status, and there's still plenty of time left to do it.

I'm going to ask this, and I'm not trying to be a smartass. What's the difference between Jalen Rose and Reggie Miller? A few clutch shots? Scoring is both of their strengths. They are both mediocre defenders at best. Reggie shinned best when he had a strong supporting cast, but when the team itself wasn't that strong, Reggie still put up solid numbers....Sounds just like Jalen....

Reggie and Jalen got the furthest in their careers when they were both fed off of each other, and a strong cast of role players. Reggie seemed to have a bit more luck being placed with a stronger cast of teammates than Jalen did, but outside of a few clutch shots......they are pretty much the same.
    I thought that your arguement about JO being overpaid was that if a player gets the max they are expected to win a championship. When Jalen signed the contract the Pacer's were his team. As unbelievable as that may seem that was the expectation. The difference between JO and Jalen is that JO is a top ten player while Jalen might have been a top 30 player.

The difference between Reggie and Jalen is the desire to win, Reggie's amazing ability to move without the ball, a willingness to put the team first and much better range. It is more than a couple clutch shots that makes one a hall of famer and another a near miss All star at his best.

Yeah , it seems Donnie always has a knack for trading a player right as they already have hit thier peak, for players who are just on the upswing, because at the time , nobody was saying wow what a steal until afterwards.

Why Not Us ?

Since86, Pacerfan23 seems to be challenging you for the SEXIEST icon.

Yeah Jalen get's a bad rep. Without Jalen theres no finals in 2000 folks, simple as that.

Since86, Pacerfan23 seems to be challenging you for the SEXIEST icon.

You like David too, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    Yeah Jalen get's a bad rep. Without Jalen theres no finals in 2000 folks, simple as that.
    Same with Rik, DD, AD, Reggie, Jackson, and Travis for that matter.

The thing with that team is, everyone knew they're role, and did it.

Jalen doesn't get more credit than anyone on that team.