View Poll Results: Which Pacer(s) will we lose in the forthcoming trade?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ron Artest

3 2.40%
  • Jonathon Bender

16 12.80%
  • Austin Croshere

16 12.80%
  • Jeff Foster

9 7.20%
  • Eddie Gill

40 32.00%
  • Danny Granger

1 0.80%
  • David Harrison

2 1.60%
  • Stephen Jackson

2 1.60%
  • Anthony Johnson

68 54.40%
  • Fred Jones

68 54.40%
  • Jermaine O'Neal

4 3.20%
  • Scot Pollard

58 46.40%
  • Jamaal Tinsley (BYC)

4 3.20%
  • Dale Davis (S&T)

10 8.00%
  • John Edwards (S&T)

12 9.60%
  • James Jones (S&T)

10 8.00%
  • Reggie's contract

8 6.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the (practically) inevitable trade

teY dennaB toN

Default Re: the (practically) inevitable trade

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whooooaa Nellie! Spicoli voted!!

I thought I smelled garlic.

Easy

It actually smells more like hot garbage.

But I do think if we are to make a trade, it's going to be w/ some sort of combo of Fred, AJ, and Polly. Seems to be a common belief.

Anyway, I've been pretty much out of the loop recently. Been a crazy, stupid summer so far this year. I'll try to keep it real here as much as I can before the season starts.

AJ and Freddie are beating out Pollard so far. interesting.

Why Not Us ?

Cool Re: the (practically) inevitable trade

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    Actually Kegboy, I'm just thinking any combo of those 6 goes in a 3 for 1 deal.Most assume Pollard will be moved but I just have a feeling Jeff Foster is being actively shopped.

As for Fred and James , I'd not be shocked if both were gone come the beginning of the season. Johnson and Gill , do the Pacers really need 4 point guards.

As for what or who , the Pacers will trade for if its not Jamal Magliore , I have an odd feeling it will be a deal for someone totally out of left field . But I definately think its a pf/c type.

Larry Bird , wants to put his mark on this franchise , I think he'll be far more active than Donnie Walsh was. I see him adding a more veteran touch to the bench.

A player like Troy Murphy would not suprise me either. A tall 6'10 pf type who boards and hits 3's.
    What you've said falls in line with my thinking about a couple of things.

I keep looking at this 4 PG situation and I think something's going to happen. Looking around the league, I see one team in particular that really needs PG help: The Clippers.

That team is in one of the bigger messes I've seen from them in some time. One trade, to me, that's makes some sense for both sides is a Chris Kaman for AJ and Gill. I think it basically works salary-wise, but I think thre Clips really like Kaman and would only part with Wilcox.

I have the same feeling you do about JJ, Jones, Gill and AJ.

I dunno about getting Troy, though. The guy is a STUD and I couldn't see GS parting with him, but, you'd like to think if Bird/Walsh pull one of their out of the blue acqusitions, Mully would be one of the guys they could pull it off with and trust to keep his mouth shut until it happened. I think GS has a wealth of talented players and they need some real roster rearrangement before the season. (I COULD se them trading Zarko, but he's a poor man's Murphy, altough I really like the kid.)

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    Anyone know where we can find a list of players in the last year of their contract (i.e., 2006 free agents)?
    You can try sifting through this.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Pollard is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    Still holding out for that KG trade, huh?
    I have a feeling Bird isn't as enamored with Tinsley and JO as the forum collective believe.... so I am going out on a limb even tho I know the reality of trading either of these two would be hard. OTOH... It might not be as hard as some think if Bird/Walsh have decided to test the waters.

I still can't believe there would've been so much interest in Saras for the backup spot. He might not be annointed the starter but IMHO it is dissatisfaction with Tinsley, not AJ, that fueled this pursuit and opening of the wallet.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I noticed a thread on RATS earlier today, but it didn't look like they discussed it very much.

It's an off the wall idea, but I'd love to see a sign and trade with Pho for Steven Hunter. From what I saw in the playoffs, he looked like a pretty good defender. Freddie seems like he would fit in that style of basketball, but I doubt $$ would match up, and that's still a 1 for 1, but the Suns are going to need to clear room if they want Johnson back.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...527#post224527

The one trade I keep looking at is Foster & Fred Jones for Troy Murphy.

The reason is Golden State just drafted 2 power forwards in Ike Diogu & Chris Taft & they already had Carbarkapa. The reason they drafted Diogu is because they considered Murphy more of a peremiter 4 & they feel Diogu can play more inside.

They are looking to balance out the lineup with Baron Davis, Richardson & Dunleavy handling most of the offense from the peremiter. Jones would give them some depth in the backcourt & upgrade their peremiter defense.

Foster would give them more of an inside, rebounding presence while not requiring the ball like Murphy does now.

I don't think the Pacers are looking to upgrade a starting position but rather add another high quality player. Don't get me wrong, I think Murphy could start here, but that would mean playing him along side O'Neal & I'm not sure they could play together for any great stretch.

I view Murphy as being at first front court player off the bench, getting starters mintues but playing more with Dale Davis or Harrison than JO.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A few thoughts after re-reading this thread:

If Foster and Freddie and AJ are traded - will the Pacers become one of the worst defensive teams in the league? Next to Artest they are arguably the consistently best defenders the Pacers have.

I still contend Foster is more valuable in the mind of Pacers fans than he really is in the open market. I think on the Pacers he is able to do what he does well which is play defense, set screens and rebound. If he goes to a team that needs him to do more than that he will flounder.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

some similar info on Murphy's trade-ability

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...nnsi&type=lgns

Golden State's Troy Murphy, for example, would fill Chicago's need for a sweet-shooting big man with whom to run the pick and roll (and he's a Notre Dame alum like Paxson). The Warriors, meanwhile, have rookie power forward Ike Diogu, whom they took with the No. 9 pick in last month's draft. But Diogu is probably not ready yet to step in as a full-time starter at power forward, and Murphy is a base-year compensation player, making him almost impossible to trade to a team like Chicago that is over the salary cap.
    The Sonics have a restricted

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo

Can someone explain to me why they think that Freddie will be traded?

We still won't have a backup SG....unless we keep AJ and resign JJ and have them backup SJax.

I dont know if we WILL be traded but reason that he MAY be traded would be
    Last year of contract...
    Drafter Granger who can play the 2
    Sarunas will play both the 1 and 2 and be the first back up option on both.
    will resign JJ most likely as we do not need to use exception money to do so.

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Can someone explain to me why they think that Freddie will be traded?

We still won't have a backup SG....unless we keep AJ and resign JJ and have them backup SJax.
    Ron Artest and Saras are both quite capable of playing backup 2 guard.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...527#post224527

The one trade I keep looking at is Foster & Fred Jones for Troy Murphy.

The reason is Golden State just drafted 2 power forwards in Ike Diogu & Chris Taft & they already had Carbarkapa. The reason they drafted Diogu is because they considered Murphy more of a peremiter 4 & they feel Diogu can play more inside.

They are looking to balance out the lineup with Baron Davis, Richardson & Dunleavy handling most of the offense from the peremiter. Jones would give them some depth in the backcourt & upgrade their peremiter defense.

Foster would give them more of an inside, rebounding presence while not requiring the ball like Murphy does now.

I don't think the Pacers are looking to upgrade a starting position but rather add another high quality player. Don't get me wrong, I think Murphy could start here, but that would mean playing him along side O'Neal & I'm not sure they could play together for any great stretch.

I view Murphy as being at first front court player off the bench, getting starters mintues but playing more with Dale Davis or Harrison than JO.
    I love this idea. I've always love Troy's game. To me he is what Austin Croshere was supposed to be, but with more size. If we get Troy Murphy I see the immediate starting front court of JO and Troy. If Harrison comes on strong then we'll probably see him take it over eventually. However I like the inside outside combinations that can be created with JO, Harrison, Murphy, and Cro. I've almost given up on Dale coming back, but if he does then that changes a few things. And Bender doesn't count.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan23
    some similar info on Murphy's trade-ability

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...nnsi&type=lgns

Golden State's Troy Murphy, for example, would fill Chicago's need for a sweet-shooting big man with whom to run the pick and roll (and he's a Notre Dame alum like Paxson). The Warriors, meanwhile, have rookie power forward Ike Diogu, whom they took with the No. 9 pick in last month's draft. But Diogu is probably not ready yet to step in as a full-time starter at power forward, and Murphy is a base-year compensation player, making him almost impossible to trade to a team like Chicago that is over the salary cap.
    The Sonics have a restricted
    If the Warriors are under the cap does that change things with regards to a Murphy deal?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    I dunno about getting Troy, though. The guy is a STUD and I couldn't see GS parting with him, but, you'd like to think if Bird/Walsh pull one of their out of the blue acqusitions, Mully would be one of the guys they could pull it off with and trust to keep his mouth shut until it happened. I think GS has a wealth of talented players and they need some real roster rearrangement before the season. (I COULD se them trading Zarko, but he's a poor man's Murphy, altough I really like the kid.)
    I would have preferred Zarko over Murphy....cuz his contract isn't as big as Murphy. Any player that I think the Pacers should get should have a contract that can justify the # of minutes he will likely get.

Murphy's contract is big enough that he should be getting starter minutes...not the paltry backup minutes that any player is going to get. Zarko's contract isn't big enough to worry about that.

But the problem is that Zarko just signed an extension with the Warriors. I don't know if he is tradeable or not.

If the salaries worked....I would do a JJ for Zarko trade in a minute. Trade value ( in Pacers's eyes ) may not be up there....but I view this as a move to fill a need and make room for the rest of the roster.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    If the Warriors are under the cap does that change things with regards to a Murphy deal?
    Speaking to a friend who is a Ws fan....Murphy is a good choice to be moved as they are stacked at the PF spot but lack a real Center. They have good candidates who can one day fill that spot...but not now. The problem with Murphy is that he is a solid PF who can give you a double double....but plays ZERO defense.

He is a good fit for a team that needs a PF who can play 25 to 30 mpg and can rebound, is a 2nd scoring option....but has enough players that can makeup for Murphy's lack of defense.

Sports Logo

Although AJ can fill the gap at backup SG....I don't want to lay all my eggs in the basket with Sarurnas and Granger as the only other backup SG option. I guess Artest can play some minutes there....but ( just like my thoughts that although SJax can play SF...I would prefer him to stick to SG ) I would prefer to Artest sticking to the SF spot.

The best way I can put it ( although admittedly its not a great analogy ), players like JJ, Granger and Artest IMHO appear to be better suited to sticking to the SF spot rather then the SG spot....simply cuz they appear to be better built to handle players at that spot.

It sounds like many of you think that JJ maybe a better option as the backup SG ( if needed ). I would prefer Freddie simply cuz of his defense...but won't entirely be disappointed if we resigned JJ and then dealt Freddie/Gill/Pollard to another team for a backup PF.

There is no way you take a player the quality of Murphy & make him a backup big man.

He is a starter & he would start here.

The only problem with this is that if Harrison does begin to come on like we hope he can then you have the same glut at the power spots that we have right now in the p.g. spot.

But, until David came prove he can play games without foul trouble I don't see how we can bank an entire season on him. At least not right now.

I love Muryphys game. He is Brad Miller with a little less interior defense.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    There is no way you take a player the quality of Murphy & make him a backup big man.

He is a starter & he would start here.

The only problem with this is that if Harrison does begin to come on like we hope he can then you have the same glut at the power spots that we have right now in the p.g. spot.

OTOH... those type situations aren't necessarily bad -IF- management takes advantage of them and actively uses the spares to trade for other pieces or starts playing the salary game (for ex: grabbing ending contracts as bargaining chips) while becoming more active in trades/FA than in the past.

Would they do that? Talk to me once we see how they shakeout our guard situation.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Peck, you haven't voted yet. Are you debating if the fallout from you voting for Ron would be worth it?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Could we rotate Harrison, JO, Murphy & a re-signed Davis at the power postions?

Granted Dale would only see spot minutes but at this stage in his career, that would be best for him anyway.

JO & Murphy each play about 32 each, Harrison maybe 20 & Davis the final 14?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Peck, you haven't voted yet. Are you debating if the fallout from you voting for Ron would be worth it?
    lol we already know bball wants JO and Tinsley to be traded

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    I noticed a thread on RATS earlier today, but it didn't look like they discussed it very much.

It's an off the wall idea, but I'd love to see a sign and trade with Pho for Steven Hunter. From what I saw in the playoffs, he looked like a pretty good defender. Freddie seems like he would fit in that style of basketball, but I doubt $$ would match up, and that's still a 1 for 1, but the Suns are going to need to clear room if they want Johnson back.

Can I nominate your avatar of Paris Hilton as sexiest?

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    Can I nominate your avatar of Paris Hilton as sexiest?
    If I can nominate yours as racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    If I can nominate yours as racist.
    Please learn to read carefully before you make a response like that. He said sexiest, not sexist.