Thread: Where would we be without Al?

joro

Default Where would we be without Al?

Hmmmm?
    Well, if you think the plus-minus stats mean anything, we'd be better off without Harrington
    Here are his plus-minus numbers for the last five games:
    at Cleveland -13
    at Boston -9
    Toronto -6
    at Denver -13
    at Utah -13
    That, by the way, is the worst p-m of any of the Pacers who played in those games.
    I tried for a couple of days to be more positive about Al, but the statistics tell a pretty negative tale. For the whole season, his p-m is -0.3. That doesn't sound too bad until you consider that the average p-m for the entire team is +5.1, meaning that, relative to the rest of the team, Al's p-m is 5.4 points per game less than the team as a whole.

Hmmmmm. I know this reasoning may seem suspect to some, but since plenty of coaches use plus-minus to analyze players, I thought it was worth a look.

Well?

Default Re: Where would we be without Al?

It is clear that Al is holding us back. Just think what we would accomplish with Cro taking his mins. I'll go out on a limb and say that without Al we'd be on course for the 73 wins.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

tdeltdot

A person's overall p-m can be obscured by when, and with whom, they are on the floor. Which has got to effect Artest's numbers, given how much time he's stuck playing with the scrubs at the end of games. I think more instructive are the five-man units stats: http://www.82games.com/0304IND2.HTM

With Harrington, you can see the huge dip in p-m when he's simply subbed in for Foster and left to play with the starters. (i.e. the gap between 1 and 3 on the chart). That ain't impressive. And I don't think that it can be chalked-up to JO then having to play C.

I'm worried about how much his trade stock has to be falling... Perhaps, we should all keep this on the down-low in case there are any GMs listening in...

Tim will be here shortly

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tim

Tim will be here shortly

-Bball
    And here I am! hehe.

I will keep it short. I am just going to ask the questions (again) that I know Al critics just can't respond to.

Rick is the coach and he still gives Al the big minutes.
    If Al really is that bad, hurts the team, so on and so forth, why does Rick play him so much? Why does this team rock? Why hasn't Rick adjusted Al's play more to your liking or have him sit like Tins did and Kenny is doing now?

Al must be playing in a way that pleases Rick because it is earning him big minutes and praise.

To all Al critics, when are you gonna start taking Rick to task? He too is responsible for how Al and the team plays. Al played over 33 minutes Sunday! 49-17, Gotta love it!!!

Tim

It is clear that Al is holding us back. Just think what we would accomplish with Cro taking his mins. I'll go out on a limb and say that without Al we'd be on course for the 73 wins.
    Really? And just how would Cro' better effect the play of Baron Davis, Starbury, TJ Ford and other quick point guards when they start breaking us down?

The Pacers win 75% of their games this season and Al is throwing them off??? You only said this to bait guys like me right?

Sorry I forgot the eye roll. I think at this point of the season people need to let Al go. He isn't going to be traded and we have the best record in the league.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Tim

Sorry I forgot the eye roll. I think at this point of the season people need to let Al go. He isn't going to be traded and we have the best record in the league.
    Sorry for my response to you then, I have been a little behind in defending Al and was trying to get caught up