Thread: Learn the Front Office Promo & question

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Learn the Front Office Promo & question

From the Pacers website:

Learn About the Sports and Entertainment Front Office

INDIANAPOLIS -- Pacers Sports & Entertainment is offering a one-day seminar on how the front office of a professional sports and entertainment franchise operates. Key staff members from PS&E, including the Indiana Pacers and Indiana Fever, will be guest speakers at "Inside The Front Office" on Friday, Jan. 23, 2004, from 1:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. at Conseco Fieldhouse.
    Registration is only $67 and includes four Pacers tickets (choose from three different Pacers games); three Fever tickets to the team's 2004 home opener; appearance by special guest speaker Donnie Walsh, CEO & President of PS&E; seminar materials; and smaller breakout sessions of your choice with PS&E key staff members.

Participants may choose to attend breakout sessions in their area of interest and may submit a resume at the conclusion of the event. The sessions offered are:

Breakout Session One
    Basketball
    Sales
    Pacers Foundation/Community Relations
    Public Information/Internet Marketing
    Advertising
    Breakout Session Two
    Basketball
    Entertainment/Promotions
    Broadcast/Announcing
    Event Booking/Coordinating/Conseco Fieldhouse
    Finance

Register for "Inside The Front Office" at www.ConsecoFieldhouse.com/frontoffice, by calling PS&E's front office at (317) 917-2500, or email troberts@pacers.com. This event is sponsored by Sport Graphics. All tickets and materials for the seminar will be distributed at the registration table between 1:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. the day of the event.

E-mail this story
    +++++++++++++++

Now the question, What did they mean "and may submit a resume..."? They have openings????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Learn the Front Office Promo & question

Now the question, What did they mean "and may submit a resume..."? They have openings????

I've had three or four season-ticket account reps since last May. I don't think I'm that "high maintenance." So they may need some sales people.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I went to the very first one three years ago; it was the whole day and $120. Tons of snot-nosed college kids all dressed up with their resumes. I just went for fun.

One of the seminar's I attended was the IT one, and there were about 50 people in there, most the afore mentioned college kids. After the head IT guy gave his talk, mostly talking about what systems they used and all the cabling that went into CF, I thought I'd have some fun, so I asked how many people he had on his staff. When he answered, "Three", you could hear the air rush out of the room. All the kids were dumbfounded that a multi-million dollar organization had an IT staff of three. Of course, he did say they might be hiring a fourth guy.

What they do is have unpaid internships, and occasionally someone will catch on in sales, or what not. If you want a real job, you have to work your way up through 1A baseball teams, and the like. It's easy to pick out the interns at games. Just look for impeccibly dressed, usually terribly attractive ~20 year olds scurring around the lower level with walkie talkies.

[edit]One note. When ever I talk about the front office, I say PS&E, as in Pacers Sports and Entertainment. That's one thing they really drill into you there, that it is first and foremost a business.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great story, Kegboy.

Back in the day, I interviewed to do a finance internship at Starlight Musicals. The pay was for forty hours per week @ minimum wage, so you might, at first, think "hey, that beats an 'unpaid internship'." But the hours were the regular forty hours per week, plus you had to work every single performance (usually six nights per week). So the effective hourly rate was about one-half of minimum wage.

But yeah, the "entertainment industry" sounds like a sexy place to work, but the pay is generally very low unless you are either the entertainer, the person respsonsible for selecting the entertainer(s), or one of the very top salespeople. Everyone else is overhead and is paid like it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I have worked for a major league baseball team. Took a paycut for the opportunity and realized once I got there it would take me forever to make it up (and it wasn't all that much). Unless you are the GM or one of the higher ups, you will never get paid because - they know and you know - there are a million others waiting in the wings.

It was a great experience but I would have had to leave after a few years to get some real pay in the real world.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.