Thread: Remember When Larry Brown Took A Timeout with 20 seconds left to get Reggie a standing ovation?

Default Remember When Larry Brown Took A Timeout with 20 seconds left to get Reggie a standing ovation?

In his last game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeAuDi4ZMWM

Great moment.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timid For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Remember When Larry Brown Took A Timeout with 20 seconds left to get Reggie a standing ovation?

Like it was yesterday .............

(Just watched it -- I think I got something in my eye.)
    Last edited by PacerDude; 09-13-2017 at 06:22 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Remember When Larry Brown Took A Timeout with 20 seconds left to get Reggie a standing ovation?

This could have been Paul, this could have been what he had to look forward to. For his sake I hope he gets a title because if not he is just going to go down as another Laker when at the end of a career here he could have gone down up in the rafters and honestly would have probably ended his career as the greatest Pacer ever. But that is all gone now.

Reggie still holds as the greatest Pacer. Myles your on the clock to get there, let's see what he does.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

For my sake I hope Paul does not get a title.

I remember this clearly, attended the game and there were many misty eyes in the building, myself included. Really classy move by Larry and I think of this every time someone (often rightfully) says something negative about him.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lurkster For This Useful Post:

Mood

I like how this thread has already been hijacked by PG discussion
    Lifelong pacers fan

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This could have been Paul, this could have been what he had to look forward to. For his sake I hope he gets a title because if not he is just going to go down as another Laker when at the end of a career here he could have gone down up in the rafters and honestly would have probably ended his career as the greatest Pacer ever. But that is all gone now.

Reggie still holds as the greatest Pacer. Myles your on the clock to get there, let's see what he does.
    You mean the same Paul many find overrated and are glad is gone?

I wish people would make up their minds here.

If he doesn't get a title he doesn't get a title elsewhere as opposed to staying here his entire career and ending up ringless like Reggie.

And no I'm not bashing Reggie its great that we had a player that was here his entire career but it worked out that way he was still good at the end for the Pacers to want him as long as they did.

Fortunately he felt the same.

It doesn't always work out like that.

That being said Slick is the greatest Pacer ever but Rik Smits was my favorite his ending sucked though.

_________________________ RamBo_Lamar's Avatar

Reggie had a great final game. Very classy move by Coach Brown to give Reggie a tribute.

Still sucks to this day that we lost though!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    You mean the same Paul many find overrated and are glad is gone?

I wish people would make up their minds here.

If he doesn't get a title he doesn't get a title elsewhere as opposed to staying here his entire career and ending up ringless like Reggie.

And no I'm not bashing Reggie its great that we had a player that was here his entire career but it worked out that way he was still good at the end for the Pacers to want him as long as they did.

Fortunately he felt the same.

It doesn't always work out like that.

That being said Slick is the greatest Pacer ever but Rik Smits was my favorite his ending sucked though.
    If your looking for unanimous thought on a message board you are delusional. Fans can be fans however they want. I for one state that as a talent Paul George is the greatest Pacer I've ever seen and I've seen every single Pacer since 1976 (except Darvin Hamm, for some reason the two games he played for us were not televised). However that does not mean that someone else can not state that he was an overrated bum who was a low character person and they are glad he is off of the team.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    I like how this thread has already been hijacked by PG discussion
    sooner than expected

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This reminded me why I don't re-watch Reggie stuff very often. Sent me into an hour-long video spree. A real legend, here's to hoping Myles' potential is realized in a Pacers uni!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah the thing I will always remember about Reggie's final game is how he went down gunning and played one of his best games of that entire season when the backs were against the wall and it was do or die. He went down like the 3 point king at that time should have.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also the thing that is striking is just how good Reggie was offensively. The mid range floating shots he is hitting are shots that would make Paul George (or players like him, Jimmy Butler for example) unstoppable if he ever added that kind of mid range movement to his game.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also the thing that is striking is just how good Reggie was offensively. The mid range floating shots he is hitting are shots that would make Paul George (or players like him, Jimmy Butler for example) unstoppable if he ever added that kind of mid range movement to his game.
    I was really struck by how hard he worked on every play. I mean, I knew that about Reggie, but the contrast was so drastic to anything I've seen in a Pacers uni since Danny was healthy. DWest made a lot of mean faces and used his body pretty well, but he wasn't that active. Roy did a lot of work on defense, but everything was in slow motion. PG and GHill always looked like they were on cruise control. Maybe it's an unfair comparison of styles, and Reggie was certainly unique in a lot of ways. But man, it really stood out to me that he was putting in way more work to get his buckets and make his plays than anyone I remember seeing here since.

I think, short of delivering multiple titles to Indy, PG would've never measured up to Reggie for a large portion of the fanbase because of that exact reason. Reggie's teams were REGGIE'S, through effort and determination, and PG would've never been matched that, regardless of wins. Just my opinion, though.

EDIT: after I posted this, I saw Lance in my avatar, and thought "well it's no wonder so many people love him." He might be bonehead sometimes, but you know you're getting 200% every night. Goes a long way with fans in general, but I think especially Indy fans.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

We were lucky to watch our legend retire with us as his only team. Very few fans get to experience that. Only the Lakers, Spurs, 1/2 of the Jazz duo, and Mavs (assuming Dirk doesn't leave) have been able to experience that as of late. Too bad he didn't get a ring too, so close so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I was really struck by how hard he worked on every play. I mean, I knew that about Reggie, but the contrast was so drastic to anything I've seen in a Pacers uni since Danny was healthy. DWest made a lot of mean faces and used his body pretty well, but he wasn't that active. Roy did a lot of work on defense, but everything was in slow motion. PG and GHill always looked like they were on cruise control. Maybe it's an unfair comparison of styles, and Reggie was certainly unique in a lot of ways. But man, it really stood out to me that he was putting in way more work to get his buckets and make his plays than anyone I remember seeing here since.

I think, short of delivering multiple titles to Indy, PG would've never measured up to Reggie for a large portion of the fanbase because of that exact reason. Reggie's teams were REGGIE'S, through effort and determination, and PG would've never been matched that, regardless of wins. Just my opinion, though.

EDIT: after I posted this, I saw Lance in my avatar, and thought "well it's no wonder so many people love him." He might be bonehead sometimes, but you know you're getting 200% every night. Goes a long way with fans in general, but I think especially Indy fans.
    This exactly. The main thing that pissed me off about PG. Its like he was ALWAYS on cruise control, even when he was having a great game.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post

Reggie was a master of moving without the ball. Every kid aspiring to play ball should be forced to watch Reggie move off of the ball (Rip Hamilton as well) but let's not go overboard here. Reggie by his own admission only got up for marque matchups and playoffs. There is a reason that the perception was that Reggie Miller was a good player in the regular season but he was a killer in the playoffs. To his credit though very few players can be on all the time so this is not a criticism of him, just saying let's not put him in the Micheal, Kobe, LeBron status yet.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Reggie was a master of moving without the ball. Every kid aspiring to play ball should be forced to watch Reggie move off of the ball (Rip Hamilton as well) but let's not go overboard here. Reggie by his own admission only got up for marque matchups and playoffs. There is a reason that the perception was that Reggie Miller was a good player in the regular season but he was a killer in the playoffs. To his credit though very few players can be on all the time so this is not a criticism of him, just saying let's not put him in the Micheal, Kobe, LeBron status yet.
    Reggie wasn't talented enough to force his will on the game for 82 games a season.

However what he lacked in elite talent, he made up with craftiness, and extreme competitiveness and fearlessness. This allowed him to get up against the best, even if he wasn't able to maintain that level of play on an every game basis.

Reg was the ultimate overachiever IMO. And I mean that as a compliment

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

If your looking for unanimous thought on a message board you are delusional. Fans can be fans however they want. I for one state that as a talent Paul George is the greatest Pacer I've ever seen and I've seen every single Pacer since 1976 (except Darvin Hamm, for some reason the two games he played for us were not televised). However that does not mean that someone else can not state that he was an overrated bum who was a low character person and they are glad he is off of the team.
    I don't expect everyone to agree just don't flip flop and act like you didn't just flip flop.

Which is what I see a lot of people do in general not just here.

Its just interesting how he was only those things after he wanted out not when he was here. Now if you thought this while he was here I stand corrected but for a lot of this fanbase that wasn't the case.

That is my point.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Its just interesting how he was only those things after he wanted out not when he was here. Now if you thought this while he was here I stand corrected but for a lot of this fanbase that wasn't the case.
    There were a lot of people questioning his character years ago, and people questioning whether he was worth the max even if he HAD gotten the All-NBA slot. I don't see very many if any flip-flopping just because he left.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I don't expect everyone to agree just don't flip flop and act like you didn't just flip flop.

Which is what I see a lot of people do in general not just here.

That is my point.
    That may be true for some, but he was on my bad list for a good long time before this past season.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

So, yeah - I remember when Larry Brown took a timeout with 20 seconds left to get Reggie a standing ovation.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Lurkster For This Useful Post:

Wrong spot

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie was truly something special.

The timing of this thread is a little ironic for me because I just finished watching several of his lesser known Greatest games on YouTube a couple of nights ago. This wasn't one of them. This moment is bittersweet. A classy act by Larry Brown and the Pistons but since it happened the same year of the brawl, in the back of my mind there's always that nagging feeling of that's not how the season or Reggie's career was supposed to end.

There are other Reggie games and moments from that season I prefer to watch and remember.

The 39 points he scored against Kobe and the Lakers.

The 33 points he scored in the OT win against Shaq and DWade.

The big win against the Spurs.

The 2 big games against the Celtics in the 1st round of the playoffs where he scored 28 and 33 points.

Games 2 and 3 wins of the series against the Pistons are great memories.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk