Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: So... Ten Man Rotation?

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default So... Ten Man Rotation?

    I realized that most of the arguments we've been having are all related to the third string... guys that probably won't see real minutes anyway. Right now, it's:

    Foster / Hulk
    JO / Cro
    Ron / Granger
    Jax / Fred
    Tins / Saras

    Everybody agree with that? Barring injury or trade, I don't see anybody else (Dale, Bender, Pollard, JJ, AJ, Gill) getting significant minutes in the season.

    I guess I could maybe see Dale getting into the rotation ahead of Croshere, and Pollard will get minutes against Shaq. Other than that?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #2
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    I'd put it like this:

    Hulk/DD
    JO/Foster
    Artest/Granger
    Jax/Fred
    JT/Saras

    I say re-sign Dale over JJ. It will be sad to see him go, but Dale gives us a better chance of winning it all this season because we need a veteran leader in the locker room.

    On opening day I don't think the roster will look like this but I look for Hulk to move in to the starting role soon in to the season.

  3. #3
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    backcourt

    jack 30 min
    tins 28
    saras 28
    f. jones 10

    front court

    artest 30 min
    jo 30
    foster 28
    harrison 24
    granger 16
    bender/davis??/croshere/jj? 16

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Based on what was posted earlier today, it's questionable whether Dale will be re-signed. But there's also talk of a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 trade.

    So I'll go with more of a 9-man rotation:

    Foster / Hulk
    JO / (new acquisition)
    Ron / Granger
    Jax / Saras
    Tins / Saras

    It wouldn't surprise me to see Saras as the first guard off the bench, regardless of the backcourt position to be covered.

    The possible 10th man is JJ, getting minutes at SF and a few at SG.

    I'm still counting on Croshere being an amnesty casualty, and if we do a 3-for-1 trade, I think Freddie would be part of it.

  5. #5
    Nude Poster Shack80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    It wouldn't surprise me to see Saras as the first guard off the bench, regardless of the backcourt position to be covered.
    If he lives up to his hype that is what I see. I think AJ will get more minutes than people think.

  6. #6
    PacerNthaDesert
    Guest

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shack80
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he lives up to his hype that is what I see. I think AJ will get more minutes than people think.

    I totally agree, AJ is still the primary backup PG until (if) he gets beatin out.

  7. #7
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I totally agree, AJ is still the primary backup PG until (if) he gets beatin out.
    Haha... Bird doesn't go on a trip to Europe to watch guys play just so they can come in and play behind Anthony 'Beetlejuice' Johnson.

  8. #8
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,046

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd put it like this:

    Hulk/DD
    JO/Foster
    Artest/Granger
    Jax/Fred
    JT/Saras

    I say re-sign Dale over JJ. It will be sad to see him go, but Dale gives us a better chance of winning it all this season because we need a veteran leader in the locker room.

    On opening day I don't think the roster will look like this but I look for Hulk to move in to the starting role soon in to the season.
    I like Athems rotation better than yours. Why? Because we don't need Hulk on the first team, but we do need his scoring on the 2nd team.

    As for resigning DD over JJ, it's like you are saying sign one over the other when we can resign both. We can resign JJ and it won't have anything to do with an exception. It's DD we need exceptions for.

  9. #9
    PacerNthaDesert
    Guest

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha... Bird doesn't go on a trip to Europe to watch guys play just so they can come in and play behind Anthony 'Beetlejuice' Johnson.

    Anthony Johnson is a proven NBA player, our little Euro friend is not tested and from what people say plays little defense most of the time.

  10. #10
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anthony Johnson is a proven NBA player, our little Euro friend is not tested and from what people say plays little defense most of the time.
    You're missing what I'm saying. No way in hell does Bird spend a full year scouting and repeatedly watching this guy only for him to spend his time playing behind Johnson.

  11. #11

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha... Bird doesn't go on a trip to Europe to watch guys play just so they can come in and play behind Anthony 'Beetlejuice' Johnson.

    I admit that was a tad funny.....But very very cruel
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

    Do Not Trade Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

  12. #12
    PacerNthaDesert
    Guest

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're missing what I'm saying. No way in hell does Bird spend a full year scouting and repeatedly watching this guy only for him to spend his time playing behind Johnson.

    I gotcha, that's why this signing is confusing to me. We have 1 solid starting PG and 2 really solid backups with only so many minutes for them to play. Plus both are making relatively good money for backups. Very confusing....

  13. #13
    Member scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Milford, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,043
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I gotcha, that's why this signing is confusing to me. We have 1 solid starting PG and 2 really solid backups with only so many minutes for them to play. Plus both are making relatively good money for backups. Very confusing....
    Even though Anthony Johnson brings consistant play and undervalued defense at the 1, Sarunas brings clutch shooting that we'll miss since we no longer have Reggie. I think Bird saw a player that could come in and be a key peice, where it's just by simple fate that the player primarily plays the same position as Johnson.

    If the Pacers do not trade Johnson, then there is a chance that things could work out. Tinsley shouldn't be overused, and that'll open up about 20-25 minutes back him up. If Saras plays the 2 most of the time, then you might see AJ getting quality minutes there. But then that theory kinda destroys Fred Jones' minutes. So this really adds to the conundrum, and also adds fuel to the consipiracy of a trade in the works.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,259

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I gotcha, that's why this signing is confusing to me. We have 1 solid starting PG and 2 really solid backups with only so many minutes for them to play. Plus both are making relatively good money for backups. Very confusing....
    I think it has mostly to do with Tinsley's frajility. If you're making a championship run, and you're #1 or #2 guy goes down, you're probably out for the season. But you don't want to completely blow your chances just because your #4 guy is out.

  15. #15
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    I'm going to have to change my avatar if we trade AJ.

    Well, I'll take a stab at this:

    Foster/Hulk
    O'Neal/???
    Artest/Granger
    Jackson/???
    Tinsley/Jasik

    That leaves AJ, Fred, and Pollard as our tradeable pieces who aren't in the rotation.

    I'm not sure if it really matters if Hulk starts or not, hopefully he and Jeff would be getting ~24 minutes each.

    I left Fred out partly because I think he is pretty much gone, and partly because I want someone taller at backup SG. I want someone who can defend the quick guys who is at least 6' 5. Mo Evans, maybe? Not sure here.

    Question - Can JJ play SG? I'm not so sure he can, but I have seen many suggest it. He wouldn't really guard the quicker guys, but he would be a cheap solution at SG.

    It'd be nice if AJ, Fred, and Polly could catch us a bruiser to add to our big man rotation.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  16. #16
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    The rotations are hard right now to assess because we have to many players that play the same spot on the floor.

    Yes I know the common thought is that the Pacers will use the new Euro guy & A.J. will be the 3rd string player. But I'm not sure about that. Remember A.J. just last season signed a long term contract for decent money, something I thought was a little much at the time but I don't care cause I don't sweat the money as much as some of you do.

    But it still leaves the question, where does Fred, A.J. & the new guy fit into any kind of rotation. In the past I would have said Fred could swing over to the 3 spot but with Granger there I just don't see him getting any min. at all.

    Like I said in other posts, I'm using the working assumption that Dale Davis is gone so the big man spot is also unsettled IMO.

    But as of now I would think it is going to be like this.

    Foster/Harrison
    O'Neal/Croshere
    Artest/Granger
    Jackson/F. Jones
    Tinsley/Saras

    Now if by some miracle Dale is re-signed then I would expect the rotations to change to this.

    Davis/Harrison
    O'Neal/Foster
    Artest/Granger
    Jackson/F. Jones
    Tinsley/Saras


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  17. #17
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    backcourt

    jack 30 min
    tins 28
    saras 28
    f. jones 10

    front court

    artest 30 min
    jo 30
    foster 28
    harrison 24
    granger 16
    bender/davis??/croshere/jj? 16
    JO and Ron will play more then 30 minutes.

  18. #18
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO and Ron will play more then 30 minutes.

    yea...i know they probably will....i guess im secretly hoping with our depth we might do a little more running and a little saving of the guys by lessening their minutes, so that they might be a bit fresher and healthier come playoff time...

  19. #19
    Pacers-4-Life
    Guest

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Where's Bender going to fit in our 12 plus man rotation.

  20. #20
    PacerNthaDesert
    Guest

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacers-4-Life
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where's Bender going to fit in our 12 plus man rotation.

    IR

  21. #21
    Pacers-4-Life
    Guest

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IR
    I think you're right

  22. #22
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    I hope that they find a way to retain DD since he seems to balance out our front line roster. Without him we are forced to either through Hulk into the mix or force JO to survive without a banger alongside him and playing more with Foster.

    If Tins plays 20-25mins, Saras 15-20 and AJ the rest available PG mins then it should keep him in the rotation sufficiently.

  23. #23
    Member PHC Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    37
    Posts
    471

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I realized that most of the arguments we've been having are all related to the third string... guys that probably won't see real minutes anyway. Right now, it's:

    Foster / Hulk
    JO / Cro
    Ron / Granger
    Jax / Fred
    Tins / Saras

    Everybody agree with that? Barring injury or trade, I don't see anybody else (Dale, Bender, Pollard, JJ, AJ, Gill) getting significant minutes in the season.

    I guess I could maybe see Dale getting into the rotation ahead of Croshere, and Pollard will get minutes against Shaq. Other than that?
    Can you say: embarrassment of riches? It's crazy that we have so much talent on this team. Now, it's time to do something with all of this talent.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson


  24. #24
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

    A ten-man rotation is too long, and only works in the regular season. I still can't figure out how this roster will get down to an eight-man rotation for the playoffs.

    Although without DD, its a little easier:

    C - Foster/ Harrison (will switch by the ASG)
    PF - JO/ Foster
    SF - Psycho/ Granger
    SG - SJax/ Saras
    PG - Tinsley/ Saras
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •