Thread: So... Ten Man Rotation?

Default So... Ten Man Rotation?

I realized that most of the arguments we've been having are all related to the third string... guys that probably won't see real minutes anyway. Right now, it's:

Foster / Hulk
    JO / Cro
    Ron / Granger
    Jax / Fred
    Tins / Saras

Everybody agree with that? Barring injury or trade, I don't see anybody else (Dale, Bender, Pollard, JJ, AJ, Gill) getting significant minutes in the season.

I guess I could maybe see Dale getting into the rotation ahead of Croshere, and Pollard will get minutes against Shaq. Other than that?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So... Ten Man Rotation?

I'd put it like this:

Hulk/DD
    JO/Foster
    Artest/Granger
    Jax/Fred
    JT/Saras

I say re-sign Dale over JJ. It will be sad to see him go, but Dale gives us a better chance of winning it all this season because we need a veteran leader in the locker room.

On opening day I don't think the roster will look like this but I look for Hulk to move in to the starting role soon in to the season.

foretaz

backcourt

jack 30 min
    tins 28
    saras 28
    f. jones 10

front court

artest 30 min
    jo 30
    foster 28
    harrison 24
    granger 16
    bender/davis??/croshere/jj? 16

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Based on what was posted earlier today, it's questionable whether Dale will be re-signed. But there's also talk of a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 trade.

So I'll go with more of a 9-man rotation:

Foster / Hulk
    JO / (new acquisition)
    Ron / Granger
    Jax / Saras
    Tins / Saras

It wouldn't surprise me to see Saras as the first guard off the bench, regardless of the backcourt position to be covered.

The possible 10th man is JJ, getting minutes at SF and a few at SG.

I'm still counting on Croshere being an amnesty casualty, and if we do a 3-for-1 trade, I think Freddie would be part of it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Saras as the first guard off the bench, regardless of the backcourt position to be covered.
    If he lives up to his hype that is what I see. I think AJ will get more minutes than people think.

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Shack80
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he lives up to his hype that is what I see. I think AJ will get more minutes than people think.

I totally agree, AJ is still the primary backup PG until (if) he gets beatin out.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    I totally agree, AJ is still the primary backup PG until (if) he gets beatin out.
    Haha... Bird doesn't go on a trip to Europe to watch guys play just so they can come in and play behind Anthony 'Beetlejuice' Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    I'd put it like this:

Hulk/DD
    JO/Foster
    Artest/Granger
    Jax/Fred
    JT/Saras

I say re-sign Dale over JJ. It will be sad to see him go, but Dale gives us a better chance of winning it all this season because we need a veteran leader in the locker room.

On opening day I don't think the roster will look like this but I look for Hulk to move in to the starting role soon in to the season.
    I like Athems rotation better than yours. Why? Because we don't need Hulk on the first team, but we do need his scoring on the 2nd team.

As for resigning DD over JJ, it's like you are saying sign one over the other when we can resign both. We can resign JJ and it won't have anything to do with an exception. It's DD we need exceptions for.

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    Haha... Bird doesn't go on a trip to Europe to watch guys play just so they can come in and play behind Anthony 'Beetlejuice' Johnson.

Anthony Johnson is a proven NBA player, our little Euro friend is not tested and from what people say plays little defense most of the time.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anthony Johnson is a proven NBA player, our little Euro friend is not tested and from what people say plays little defense most of the time.
    You're missing what I'm saying. No way in hell does Bird spend a full year scouting and repeatedly watching this guy only for him to spend his time playing behind Johnson.

I admit that was a tad funny.....But very very cruel
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

PacerNthaDesert

You're missing what I'm saying. No way in hell does Bird spend a full year scouting and repeatedly watching this guy only for him to spend his time playing behind Johnson.

I gotcha, that's why this signing is confusing to me. We have 1 solid starting PG and 2 really solid backups with only so many minutes for them to play. Plus both are making relatively good money for backups. Very confusing....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I gotcha, that's why this signing is confusing to me. We have 1 solid starting PG and 2 really solid backups with only so many minutes for them to play. Plus both are making relatively good money for backups. Very confusing....
    Even though Anthony Johnson brings consistant play and undervalued defense at the 1, Sarunas brings clutch shooting that we'll miss since we no longer have Reggie. I think Bird saw a player that could come in and be a key peice, where it's just by simple fate that the player primarily plays the same position as Johnson.

If the Pacers do not trade Johnson, then there is a chance that things could work out. Tinsley shouldn't be overused, and that'll open up about 20-25 minutes back him up. If Saras plays the 2 most of the time, then you might see AJ getting quality minutes there. But then that theory kinda destroys Fred Jones' minutes. So this really adds to the conundrum, and also adds fuel to the consipiracy of a trade in the works.

I think it has mostly to do with Tinsley's frajility. If you're making a championship run, and you're #1 or #2 guy goes down, you're probably out for the season. But you don't want to completely blow your chances just because your #4 guy is out.

I'm going to have to change my avatar if we trade AJ.

Well, I'll take a stab at this:

Foster/Hulk
    O'Neal/???
    Artest/Granger
    Jackson/???
    Tinsley/Jasik

That leaves AJ, Fred, and Pollard as our tradeable pieces who aren't in the rotation.

I'm not sure if it really matters if Hulk starts or not, hopefully he and Jeff would be getting ~24 minutes each.

I left Fred out partly because I think he is pretty much gone, and partly because I want someone taller at backup SG. I want someone who can defend the quick guys who is at least 6' 5. Mo Evans, maybe? Not sure here.

Question - Can JJ play SG? I'm not so sure he can, but I have seen many suggest it. He wouldn't really guard the quicker guys, but he would be a cheap solution at SG.

It'd be nice if AJ, Fred, and Polly could catch us a bruiser to add to our big man rotation.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

The rotations are hard right now to assess because we have to many players that play the same spot on the floor.

Yes I know the common thought is that the Pacers will use the new Euro guy & A.J. will be the 3rd string player. But I'm not sure about that. Remember A.J. just last season signed a long term contract for decent money, something I thought was a little much at the time but I don't care cause I don't sweat the money as much as some of you do.

But it still leaves the question, where does Fred, A.J. & the new guy fit into any kind of rotation. In the past I would have said Fred could swing over to the 3 spot but with Granger there I just don't see him getting any min. at all.

Like I said in other posts, I'm using the working assumption that Dale Davis is gone so the big man spot is also unsettled IMO.

But as of now I would think it is going to be like this.

Foster/Harrison
    O'Neal/Croshere
    Artest/Granger
    Jackson/F. Jones
    Tinsley/Saras

Now if by some miracle Dale is re-signed then I would expect the rotations to change to this.

Davis/Harrison
    O'Neal/Foster
    Artest/Granger
    Jackson/F. Jones
    Tinsley/Saras

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    backcourt

jack 30 min
    tins 28
    saras 28
    f. jones 10

front court

artest 30 min
    jo 30
    foster 28
    harrison 24
    granger 16
    bender/davis??/croshere/jj? 16
    JO and Ron will play more then 30 minutes.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    JO and Ron will play more then 30 minutes.

yea...i know they probably will....i guess im secretly hoping with our depth we might do a little more running and a little saving of the guys by lessening their minutes, so that they might be a bit fresher and healthier come playoff time...

Pacers-4-Life

Where's Bender going to fit in our 12 plus man rotation.

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers-4-Life
    Where's Bender going to fit in our 12 plus man rotation.

IR

Pacers-4-Life

IR
    I think you're right

I hope that they find a way to retain DD since he seems to balance out our front line roster. Without him we are forced to either through Hulk into the mix or force JO to survive without a banger alongside him and playing more with Foster.

If Tins plays 20-25mins, Saras 15-20 and AJ the rest available PG mins then it should keep him in the rotation sufficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I realized that most of the arguments we've been having are all related to the third string... guys that probably won't see real minutes anyway. Right now, it's:

Foster / Hulk
    JO / Cro
    Ron / Granger
    Jax / Fred
    Tins / Saras

Everybody agree with that? Barring injury or trade, I don't see anybody else (Dale, Bender, Pollard, JJ, AJ, Gill) getting significant minutes in the season.

I guess I could maybe see Dale getting into the rotation ahead of Croshere, and Pollard will get minutes against Shaq. Other than that?
    Can you say: embarrassment of riches? It's crazy that we have so much talent on this team. Now, it's time to do something with all of this talent.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A ten-man rotation is too long, and only works in the regular season. I still can't figure out how this roster will get down to an eight-man rotation for the playoffs.

Although without DD, its a little easier:

C - Foster/ Harrison (will switch by the ASG)
    PF - JO/ Foster
    SF - Psycho/ Granger
    SG - SJax/ Saras
    PG - Tinsley/ Saras
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you